WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    +1HikermomKD. We are not judging people here. We are promoting safe hiking by making people aware of their surroundings. One of the greatest threats to a hikers safety can come from other people. As has been said in this forum many times, be aware, trust your gut instincts and if an individual makes you uncomfortable then move on.
    so, this person is unsafe? how is he a danger to me?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Hmmmmm.......seems last week people were pretty adamant about homless people not being a trail problem and then this week there is another. What will happen in the next few weeks, months or even years??? Seems it might become a problem to me, but for all that defend these people and say they are just down on thier luck, why not invite them home if they are such fine outstanding citizens. That way you could take care of the problem and help a fellow "hiker" out.
    Tridavis

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    He isn't. Folks here posting on many of these threads are afraid of the unknown and unfamiliar. Plus they want to change the trail into their fantasy perception. There have always been homeless on the trail. There have always been an assortment of strange and different individuals. People who can't accept that don't belong, or at least shoudn't be on the AT. Sometimes folks here remind me of the city and suburban folks who move to the country to "get away from it all", and than complain the first time they smell fertilizer.

I don't know how T-Rx will respond to you KK but this is my response. Question for ya... Do you think that it is possible for any individual, on the trail or not, living on this planet that could make you feel uncomfortable, give you a funny feeling or give off a wierd vibe? Do you believe these people even exist? If the answer is yes, then how would you handle a situation like that. It wouldn't matter if that person lived in a castle, shack or had no home at all, would it? If you could observe his/her living conditions and general behavior it would simply give you knowledge, correct? We all gather knowledge and share it. YOu can take it or leave it. No one should be judged for sharing information and no one here is making any judgments about this person... just stating facts. Why do you have a problem with that? No one is saying he is a danger to you or anyone else. T-Rx is simply stating that IF someone WERE to make you feel uncomfortable then move on. If someone, on here, met someone that made THEM feel uncomfortable they have a right to share it without judgement, as long as they were not judging themselves which this OP was NOT doing.

this is a non-issue. he has a right to be out there

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Sometimes folks here remind me of the city and suburban folks who move to the country to "get away from it all", and than complain the first time they smell fertilizer.
    Yeah, but you gotta admit that the fertilzer around the Eastern shore (DELMARVA) is especially pungent. I can deal with horse/cow manure all day, but that pig/chicken shlt is just awful

Judgement is made by the mere fact that someone thinks a heads up is needed because a certin kind of person is spotted on the trail. Anyone who doesn't want to be around homeless people should know where they hang out and stay away. Sometimes some of them hang out on the AT. If you got a problem with that, stay away from the AT. They belong there and you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Yeah, but you gotta admit that the fertilzer around the Eastern shore (DELMARVA) is especially pungent. I can deal with horse/cow manure all day, but that pig/chicken shlt is just awful
    It smells like.........VICTORY

ljcsov, I would recommend that if you have concerns that you report this to the local hiking club and the controlling law enforcement agency. They will check this person out and decide whether they are in violation of any codes. I know down here the Forest Service has restrictions on how long a person can squat in any area. History shows Whiteblaze is not the place to make this kind of notice.

Judgement is made by the mere fact that someone thinks a heads up is needed because a certin kind of person is spotted on the trail. Anyone who doesn't want to be around homeless people should know where they hang out and stay away. Sometimes some of them hang out on the AT. If you got a problem with that, stay away from the AT. They belong there and you don't.
    This is a ridiculous post. Forget the fact that the OP used the term homeless. Chances are he/she simply felt the person was out of place and gave them the creeps. I ran into Gary Hilton squatting at campsites two times in my neck of the woods and I still kick myself in the azz for not reporting it to authorities. We all need to give a heads up when we get that feeling. Whiteblaze is probably not the right place as there is nothing we can do but make stupid arguments one wary or the other. But the proper agencies should be advised. I hate the idea that so many of you are giving the impression that we should all just ignore situations where a person on the trail raises our concern.

I really hope that people are never discouraged from giving others a heads up about anything they want too. You guys can tell us how YOU think we are responding to a situation and how WE FEEL- all you want too, but it doesn't make it true. Lies, lies, lies....especially the one about smelling fertilizer. THAT is FUNNY!!! While it's true we can't do anything about the situation and we really don't need too. It's nice to have knowledge. This knowledge crawls all over some people, now who's problem is that?

"They belong there and you don't??" What a moronic statement! The AT is for HIKER'S - not for squatters taking up a permanent residence! I don't have a problem with the homeless and contribute to shelters, but on the trail unless I have extra - I'm going to say no if those 25 cent noodles are all I have. FACT: A larger segment of the homeless population is unstable as compared to "normal society." They are off their meds, alcoholic, etc. Even the homeless themselves will tell you this! Not judging them and feel compassion for them, but I also am going to feel less than comfortable as a single woman if it is pouring buckets outside and it is only the two of us in a shelter somewhere. I agree that everyone should stop acting so high and mighty about the homeless. Either invite them home with you or contribute to shelters to make their lives better, but while they should be treated with dignity - that doesn't give them the right to take up residency on the trail. And it still means that until a single hiker (male or female) can ascertain that this homeless person is thinking/behaving rationally - it is best to give them a wide berth. If you are with a group - this generally isn't an issue.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    ljcsov, I would recommend that if you have concerns that you report this to the local hiking club and the controlling law enforcement agency. They will check this person out and decide whether they are in violation of any codes. I know down here the Forest Service has restrictions on how long a person can squat in any area. History shows Whiteblaze is not the place to make this kind of notice.
    i do agree, if you have concerns they should be reported to the proper authorities. the problem i have, is the OP never met this person. he was "creeped out" by the tent, jeans and towel. also the word "homeless" is being thrown around way too much. to single out a person like this is judging them.

i do agree, if you have concerns they should be reported to the proper authorities. the problem i have, is the OP never met this person. he was "creeped out" by the tent, jeans and towel. also the word "homeless" is being thrown around way too much. to single out a person like this is judging them.
    Kayak -Can't recall exactly, but didn't you say you were homeless for awhile? I don't think anyone is saying that the homeless should not be treated with compassion. But an estimated 40-45% of the homeless suffer from mental illness and or alcohol/drug problems. The hiking community needs to be aware of this and everyone needs to get that chip off their shoulder and stop acting like people are insulting their relatives or something. I greatly believe that the homeless should be helped and that is why I donate to two shelters, but statistics should not be ignored. Hikers should be somewhat cautious. I am not suggesting that they are pariahs, but hikers hiking ALONE need to be careful.

Call my comments ridiculous and moronic if you want. This thread stinks of discimination and stereotyping of a class of people who have just as much right to be on the trail as anyone else. A large percentage of homeless are veterans and I've seen how even veterans are slammed here. Fact is the very first thru hiker was a ptsd vet from WWII and for all intents, a homeless guy. You want to call some authority about something, thats on you and you have every right to do that. Coming on a forum like this to allegedly give other hikers a "heads up" is BS. Take the fear and hate some place else.

I don't have a problem with the word homeless at all.... I would be the first to admit it, if it happened to me. There is NO SHAME. Not now, not ever. I felt like I was nearly homeless when 6 of us had to live in a tiny 2 bedroom trailer, in NH, when I was growing up. I don't care about houses & homes. I really wish I could live on the AT, myself, sometimes. I LOVE being outside. It's more about WHY someone is not able to live in a permanant dwelling....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
    Kayak -Can't recall exactly, but didn't you say you were homeless for awhile?
    yep and the thing i hated the most was how i was treated. either people made no eye contact or they pitted me. either way they looked down on me. i stayed in the city and worked my way out of it. i still work with the homeless, but people still some look at me and say, "its so nice they gave you this job and let you work here" then they tip me
    do be cautious, use your street smarts and have fun.

yep and the thing i hated the most was how i was treated. either people made no eye contact or they pitted me. either way they looked down on me. i stayed in the city and worked my way out of it. i still work with the homeless, but people still some look at me and say, "its so nice they gave you this job and let you work here" then they tip me
    do be cautious, use your street smarts and have fun.
    Oh, I understand. I knew we were hitting a nerve and this is it... thanks for sharing KK. You have some actual skin in this post, with the "word". My hats off to you, buddy. Thank you so much for sharing.

Images

Seriously??

Not in anyway did I judge this individual by using the term "homeless". Some people truly need to grow up and find some real things to gripe about. I do not have any problem with people who are homeless, but I simply wanted to give people a heads up. On numerous occasions in cities I have stopped and bought food for homeless people to help them out. I hope this person finds some help and can establish a stable and steady life, especially find a comfortable place to live for a long term basis.

Originally, I am not from central Pennsylvania but the more urbanized eastern section. In a more densely populated area, we have had issues with homeless people trespassing and creating camps in the woods. The main issue isn't that they pose any true risk to anyone else, but they run into problems with people vandalizing their camps, or even worse, assaulting them. Hopefully someone can help this guy find a safer place to reside at, not off a trail neighboring train tracks, a commuter lot, and a busy highway. Moreover, where I am from we have had issues with homeless drug addicts seeking refuge in the woods. Having known people who have fought serious addictions, those suffering from these plights can become aggressive or steal when going through withdrawal. Only a few months back I was hiking the AT near home and found a "sketchy" camp that was littered with foil packets that once contained methadone tablets. In general, I feel that these types of homeless people can pose a risk to others, especially when going through withdrawal. From what I noticed, there is nothing wrong with this person living on this area of the trail. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the ridge runner eventually informs the authorities about him squatting right on the trail.

Additionally, I can see where a woman or novice hiker would feel uncomfortable with a non-hiker person hanging around a shelter. In a worst case scenario, someone may mistakenly perceive them as a threat and ignite a confrontational situation. With many people traveling the woods armed, I would hate for an unfortunate situation to unfold. I figured by posting here people who may be using that shelter could be prepared for the situation and not startled or alarmed.

I thought this would be a kind gesture to inform people spending the night in this area only to give them awareness, not to spark controversy. Hopefully, the guy hanging at the camp can find a safer place to live before it gets too cold. I hike this area frequently and if I run into him I'll be sure to ask him if he needs anything.

Call my comments ridiculous and moronic if you want. This thread stinks of discimination and stereotyping of a class of people who have just as much right to be on the trail as anyone else. A large percentage of homeless are veterans and I've seen how even veterans are slammed here. Fact is the very first thru hiker was a ptsd vet from WWII and for all intents, a homeless guy. You want to call some authority about something, thats on you and you have every right to do that. Coming on a forum like this to allegedly give other hikers a "heads up" is BS. Take the fear and hate some place else.
    When you ignore statistics of 40-45% of mentally ill or alcohol/drug abusers - YES!! It is ridiculous and moronic to say that is discrimination and stereotyping! Then throw out the word "veteran" and let's all be politically correct and start singing "God Bless America!" "Fear and hate?" I can honestly say that I have probably donated more to the homeless this year alone than you have done in your lifetime so don't go judging the rest of us for using common sense! Put your money where your mouth is like I do instead of preaching to everyone! The fact remains that a certain segment of the homeless population can be dangerous and anti-social! Are all homeless like this? Definitely not! Everyone should be treated with respect and compassion, but don't be stupid or afraid to listen to that inner voice when you are on the trail alone. No one should be ashamed for being smart!

And Kayak - I'm sorry but I do pity the homeless. I can't help it. Because I always think, "that there but for the grace of God, go I." I never look down on the homeless and treat everyone with respect, but it is a sad, sad situation and happening to more and more people. I am truly happy that you are doing well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++