WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I focused immediately on the OP's characterization of a "homeless camp" and his belief that some individuals were "using the campsite for a residence".

Rights aside, I would not like to see anyone setting up a semi-permanent residence along the trail or at a shelter, whether they are homeless or living large in a Prevost.
    I cautiously agree and am glad that this post now involves a more sane level of discourse.
    Last edited by Papa D; 08-21-2012 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    keep building shelters and they will come
    What is the average distance between shelters for the entire length of the trail? Is there such a statistic?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

keep building shelters and they will come
    Lone Wolf, you have such a way with words, so insightful, so helpful. Keep your brilliant comments coming please.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    What is the average distance between shelters for the entire length of the trail? Is there such a statistic?
    I would bet that 8.5 miles would be within 1.5 miles of the average - - I'm such a gambler.

don't know but ya got 5 in the first 30 miles in georgia

don't know but ya got 5 in the first 30 miles in georgia
    I found a 2006 thread that says there's 291 including 2 on the approach trail leaving 289. I don't know if anymore have been added or removed since then but at that rate and 2184 miles that makes it every 7.5mi. Was just wondering. Sorry about the drift as if it's even necessary.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I found a 2006 thread that says there's 291 including 2 on the approach trail leaving 289. I don't know if anymore have been added or removed since then but at that rate and 2184 miles that makes it every 7.5mi. Was just wondering. Sorry about the drift as if it's even necessary.

probably about right - not sure what it has to do with a homeless camp but it's a welcome variant

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    probably about right - not sure what it has to do with a homeless camp but it's a welcome variant
    Well it could mean that there's a possible homeless camp every 7.5 miles on the AT.

Images

I heard shelters attract zombies too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    I heard shelters attract zombies too.
    if you see one i'm sure you will keep us informed.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

i send non-hiker, drifter types to local trail shelters around here all the time. they come off the interstate all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1327720
    i send non-hiker, drifter types to local trail shelters around here all the time. they come off the interstate all the time
    I knew it!

Actually the homeless people I see don't own a tent. They just sleep under the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Maybe I'll get up there again this weekend. My main concern was that his campsite was located near a major road and railroad, along with what other hikers had told me and the type of camp he set up made me believe that he was setting up a more permanent residence on the trail. I understand homeless people travel the trail and I think that is a place for them to find their way in life. However, I thought that many people frown upon more permanent camps set up on the trail, where these can lead to further issues. Nonetheless, I was hoping that this post might let someone know what to expect if they were going to camp at that particular site or the nearby shelter.

I'm new to the overnight stuff and have done mostly dayhiking. During my hikes I've met plenty of "different" people on the trail and enjoy the conversation with them. Conversely, if I were spending the night alone at a shelter I think I would be a bit startled by someone wandering out of the woods in the dark without any sort of equipment.

Anyway, most likely this person poses no risk to anyone passing through the area. I feel as though people blew a friendly message out of proportion. I would suppose that the ridge runner would deal with any permanent camp along the trail, since it is there duty prevent impact to the natural environment.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++