WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Homeless Camp Near Clarks Ferry

On a hike today, I came across a homeless camp near the Clarks Ferry shelter by the junction of the AT and Susquehanna trails. The individual has a large tent set up with a clothes line holding up jeans and bath towels, leading me to believe they are using the campsite for a residence. Others informed me that a man in jeans, note this was a hot day, was laying in the shelter without any gear. This leads me to believe that the person inhabiting the camp may be hanging around the shelter in an attempt to bum supplies. Hopefully the ridge runner finds this person and solves the issue. I would hate for a hiking planning to stay at the shelter to be possibly hassled by this person for any reason.

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone planning on making camp in the area.

Thanks for the heads up!

This is really too funny for words.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

This is really too funny for words.
    This is NOT funny. I don't know what you mean by that remark. Thanks for the heads up ljcsov. It's really helpful info. BTW... If you get some snarky comments about this thread... IGNORE them. I so wish I had......

I'm sure going to avoid that part of the trail. I'm very afraid of men in jeans with big tents. There is no telling what they might attempt to ask me for.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Don't worry about what other people think.... they don't do it very often.

If someone has done something illegal on the trail it will more than likely be pointed out and addressed. As far as bumming money or food or whatever there's always the word no, and if need be NO NO NO. Pretty simple.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I wish this site had a like and dislike feature, on the comments. Thumbs up to your comment atmilkman. I don't know why,() but I'm feeling a lil protective over this thread...I think I need to chill.... having said that, tho.. I can totally relate to the OP of this thread. I'm right there. No judging here, just reporting facts of a situation observed... nothing wrong with that. We're good. Some people won't care or have any kind of reaction to the facts observed, that's fine 2 but we are all wired differently & so it comes down to respecting other people that feel differently about things than you do.

Images

ljcsov and hikermonkd, yous need to learn that the homeless (your word not mine) have a right to be on the trail. by your own words he have done nothing illegal or even begged yet. please try to learn to not look down on them and accept them a person. hey, i doing my best to accept that people like you are on the trail.

KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I'm glad those two were able to make a connection so early in the thread. Separated at birth? Long lost trail buddies?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ljcsov and hikermonkd, yous need to learn that the homeless (your word not mine) have a right to be on the trail. by your own words he have done nothing illegal or even begged yet. please try to learn to not look down on them and accept them a person. hey, i doing my best to accept that people like you are on the trail.

KK
    We aren't looking down on anyone... where are you getting that from our posts?(and you're not alone) As far as having a right to be on the trail... living on the trail? You will have to take that up with someone other than myself. I have no idea what the laws are, on that piece. Thanks for trying to accept us. I have no prob. with you at all. I might not like snarky comments but that's as far as it goes. I accept your feelings, I just don't like to be unfairly judged. What does it take for you all to determine that someone's behavior seems odd and worth mentioning? I think that's the issue at hand here.

Quote Originally Posted by scree View Post
    I'm glad those two were able to make a connection so early in the thread. Separated at birth? Long lost trail buddies?
    Yup, I can relate....you can't. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Yup, I can relate....you can't. So what?
    I just don't like to be unfairly judged.

Quote Originally Posted by scree View Post
    I just don't like to be unfairly judged.
    How so? That's the problem with this form of communication...I'm sorry if I unfairly judged you. I stand corrected.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    We aren't looking down on anyone... where are you getting that from our posts?(and you're not alone) As far as having a right to be on the trail... living on the trail? You will have to take that up with someone other than myself. I have no idea what the laws are, on that piece. Thanks for trying to accept us. I have no prob. with you at all. I might not like snarky comments but that's as far as it goes. I accept your feelings, I just don't like to be unfairly judged. What does it take for you all to determine that someone's behavior seems odd and worth mentioning? I think that's the issue at hand here.

+1HikermomKD. We are not judging people here. We are promoting safe hiking by making people aware of their surroundings. One of the greatest threats to a hikers safety can come from other people. As has been said in this forum many times, be aware, trust your gut instincts and if an individual makes you uncomfortable then move on.

You could ju.st give the hungry guy a 25 cent pack of noodles and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Yes Sir and I've done that before and more!

Thanks T-Rx, that's what I believe as well.

Once upon a time, before the internet, there was a sheriff in GA who had a local homeless person that he was tired of, so he put the fellow and his five-gallon bucket full of stuff to the AT and told him to walk N. I heard later that the guy made it at least into NH, but i've always wondered if he progressed beyond the bucket, and if hiking the AT was always on his list of things to do.

Hummm.... I wonder. I'm proud of him for making it up to NH. That story ranks right up there with another story I heard, on here, where parents of a young boy decided he needed to grow up so they got all the things he needed to hike the trail. They took him to GA and told him to call them when he was finished hiking the trail. I wonder how far he got but i think he was liking it. He told that story when someone asked about his trail name.... I think his trail name was "dropped off" or something like that. I love the trail and all the people on it. They all have "stories" to share.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    No, not without him first removing some rocks from the trail, specifically in the direction I'm walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eighty-Eight View Post
    Once upon a time, before the internet, there was a sheriff in GA who had a local homeless person that he was tired of, so he put the fellow and his five-gallon bucket full of stuff to the AT and told him to walk N. I heard later that the guy made it at least into NH, but i've always wondered if he progressed beyond the bucket, and if hiking the AT was always on his list of things to do.
    he got a pack at kincora thanks to bob peoples

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++