Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 111
  1. #21
    lemon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-17-2011
    Location
    4 miles from Trailhead in Becket, Ma.
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,277
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    56

    Default

    Thank you for the report. Sounds like you have a good time.

  2. #22
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-15-2004
    Location
    Colorado Plateau
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I took the SPOT at the request of my wife as well...
    As an uncle of mine once told me "Buddy, if mamma bear is not happy neither is pappa bear"



    I'd love to do the Long (and Hard ) Trail again in the Fall...

    Hmm....

    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

    I enjoyed my stay in the ski lift hut and am glad I went the extra mile past Sterling Pond... It did have electricity as the caretaker said but it also had lights and a stereo and was bigger than she had indicated. I had all kinds of room and awesome views of Stowe.
    The amenities have changed!
    Last edited by Mags; 08-21-2012 at 09:33.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

    The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

  3. #23

    Default

    Based on my recent SOBO LT hike I agree with most of your report! I really appreciated the hike after being home for a few days. It was such a great time wasnt it!

  4. #24

    Default

    Hey 10K -

    My new slogan for the Long Trail is "NO MERCY". I'm finally at Rutland doing resupply. Meet the woman who just ran the LT in 5 days last night at the inn at the long trail. I still can't belive she actually did it, mostly at night and during a couple of thunderstorms. How she didn't break a leg doing that is remarkable.

    Looks like thier going to kick me out of here in a few -- later....
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  5. #25
    Registered User Yukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-25-2007
    Location
    Cambridge, New York
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,224
    Images
    21

    Default

    Cool report, but why hike it so fast? Just being in the Green mountains is awesome and I can't imagine why anyone would want to hustle so much. Did you need to be home in a certain time?

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Cool report, but why hike it so fast? Just being in the Green mountains is awesome and I can't imagine why anyone would want to hustle so much. Did you need to be home in a certain time?
    What if your hustle speed is just his (and my, since i did it about the same speed) normal speed? 16-18 days is totally reasonable in my opinion. I never finished in the dark, never rushed unless it was self imposed to either get somewhere or challenge myself a bit. I made it over mansfield in a few hours and was on top with only 2 other people.. if it had taken longer the 30-40 people i passed on the way down would have been up there crowded with me. Or if i had taken even a day or 2 longer i would have had to deal with at least one or two big thunderstorms.

    So back at you, I can't imagine dilly dallying around all day taking a month to do something that should take less than 3 weeks. Having to buy and carry more food and fuel. Now I am free to do other things, do more hikes, bike rides, etc

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Cool report, but why hike it so fast? Just being in the Green mountains is awesome and I can't imagine why anyone would want to hustle so much. Did you need to be home in a certain time?

    you know its about time someone spoke up and told someone they are going too fast. after all, everyone who goes fats is ALWAYS telling the slowpokes they should hurry up already and stop wasting so much time..... oh no, wait... nevermind.

    seriously, youre all just jealous.

  8. #28

    Default

    HYOH as long as it's how I do it

  9. #29
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    There should be a corollary to HYOH: DLYHOO - Don't Lord Your Hike Over Others. 10-K is a great model to follow, if I may embarrass him by saying so - fast, smart, helpful, positive. Hikes his own hike, enjoys it, shares about it in a way favorable to all, useful even. Doesn't compare his hiking skill level or speed with others or make others feel less than.

    I commend him to everyone.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-24-2007
    Location
    madison, ct
    Age
    76
    Posts
    302

    Default

    sure wish I could hike too fast. sometimes I get jealous/ my gas tank seems to empty a bit faster as i get older.

  11. #31
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-15-2004
    Location
    Colorado Plateau
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    HYOH as long as it's how I do it
    HMHDI

    http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi


    18 days is 15 MPD. A good, solid pace. That's less than 8 hrs of hiking per day at 2 MPH. Plenty of time to stay at lakes, overlooks or even get into camp early if so desired.

    If I could do that pace with my EMS 5500, leather boots and a Whisperlite with no experience and being in worse shape than I am now, that can't exactly be a blazing pace!

    If you want to hike short days...great. Nothing wrong with hiking moderately longer days, either...
    Last edited by Mags; 08-21-2012 at 17:57.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

    The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

  12. #32
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    HMHDI

    http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi


    18 days is 15 MPD. A good, solid pace. That's less than 8 hrs of hiking per day at 2 MPH. Plenty of time to stay at lakes, overlooks or even get into camp early if so desired.

    If I could do that pace with my EMS 5500, leather boots and a Whisperlite with no experience and being in worse shape than I am now, that can't exactly be a blazing pace!

    If you want to hike short days...great. Nothing wrong with hiking moderately longer days, either...
    Not quite rolling on the floor, but laughing out loud at length. Great stuff, Mags.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  13. #33
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,259

    Default

    Good report. You're not the first to get confused at Jay Peak - I think it's the radiation from the towers, and the aliens that jump on the tram cables.

  14. #34
    Registered User Papa D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-23-2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,850
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    There should be a corollary to HYOH: DLYHOO - Don't Lord Your Hike Over Others. 10-K is a great model to follow, if I may embarrass him by saying so - fast, smart, helpful, positive. Hikes his own hike, enjoys it, shares about it in a way favorable to all, useful even. Doesn't compare his hiking skill level or speed with others or make others feel less than.

    I commend him to everyone.
    Yes - I've met 10K in person - he shuttled me last year to a section hike in TN - super good guy and strong hiker - I hope he and I will get out and hike some in the near future.

  15. #35
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,434

    Default

    You guys are entirely too nice and I appreciate the kind words.

    For me, making miles isn't about speed - it's about time and endurance. I'm not a particularly fast hiker. I'm on the trail early, take short breaks and usually no more than 30 minutes for lunch and other than that I'm hiking. I'm not much on camping so I tend to hike at least 12 and usually 14 hours a day when the days are long.

    I also keep in hiking shape - that is, I keep trail legs by hiking somewhere pretty much all the time. So when I go on a long hike I don't have to "get my trail legs" because I already have them. And, I try to carry as light a pack as possible because it's easier on my body. I turned 51 while I was on this hike and while I can still bang out some pretty high mileage (comparatively speaking) I can tell I'm not 25 years old.

    Anyway, high mileage days is the way I like to hike. I have no problem with people who hike less miles or more miles than I do..

    The problem is when someone thinks someone else couldn't possibly enjoy a hike because they didn't hike it their way. That's just wrong.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    There should be a corollary to HYOH: DLYHOO - Don't Lord Your Hike Over Others. 10-K is a great model to follow, if I may embarrass him by saying so - fast, smart, helpful, positive. Hikes his own hike, enjoys it, shares about it in a way favorable to all, useful even. Doesn't compare his hiking skill level or speed with others or make others feel less than.

    I commend him to everyone.

    i agree.

    and YET someone has to jump in with the whats the rush BS

  17. #37
    Registered User lazy river road's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Age
    39
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Hey 10-K Man am I sorry I missed you on the trail I was really hoping we'd pass each other or at you catch up with me which you did by the end. You started a few days after me but caught up pretty fast. We both finished on the same day but I went into town that morning for break feast and you must of passed me. Your trip report sounds awesome and man you made some good time. Sounds like you had a blast and hopefully well get to meet on the trail one day.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

  18. #38
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Hey 10-K Man am I sorry I missed you on the trail I was really hoping we'd pass each other or at you catch up with me which you did by the end. You started a few days after me but caught up pretty fast. We both finished on the same day but I went into town that morning for break feast and you must of passed me. Your trip report sounds awesome and man you made some good time. Sounds like you had a blast and hopefully well get to meet on the trail one day.
    I knew I was getting close but didn't think I'd ever catch you. The first time I heard you were on the trail the guy I was talking to said you were 4 days ahead of me. When I got to The Inn at Long Trail the bartender told you you had taken a zero there and left that morning. I figured you finished 1 or 2 days before I did since I took a zero in Manchester Center.

    Next time!

  19. #39
    Registered User Yukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-25-2007
    Location
    Cambridge, New York
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,224
    Images
    21

    Default

    Hold on now, slow your roll people. I didn't say he was hiking it the wrong way, I'm a HYOH believer through and through. I was just wondering if he was under a time crunch because his pace was faster than a large percentage of backpackers on the LT, except for the girl that just ran it in 5 days lol

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Hold on now, slow your roll people. I didn't say he was hiking it the wrong way, I'm a HYOH believer through and through. I was just wondering if he was under a time crunch because his pace was faster than a large percentage of backpackers on the LT, except for the girl that just ran it in 5 days lol

    i for one hike at exactly the speed i wish to and except for rare bursts here or there that were preceded but my lazily goofing off for too long, i've never "hustled" anywhere. i imagine the same is true of most of us who are supposedly hustling.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •