Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Results 101 to 111 of 111
  1. #101
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,434

    Default

    I wouldn't hike 30 miles a day more than 2-3 days in a row either...maybe when I was younger. I can comfortably hike 22-25 miles a day, every day, as far as I know indefinitely on the AT with the exception of the Whites where 20 would probably be close to my limit - if I can get a zero in every 7 or 8 days.

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-04-2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    if I dont' make it to Manchester Center by Sunday.... do any of the LT shelters in southern VT have these type facilities for viewing the NFL games?

  3. #103
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,434

    Default

    No, but seriously - if it's that important to you it would be easy to hitch into either Bennington or Manchester Center from one of the many road crossings probably.

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    you very clearly regularly show that you think any given of section of trail is much harder than most people think it is. at what point do you accept that your experience just isnt quite typical?
    I guess I'm just getting to be an old man with way too many hard miles on my knees and have spent too many nights sleeping in the woods

    All the NOBOs I met my last couple days on the LT were on track to take at least 5-6 days to do that first 60 miles. I'd call that average. I met some who were going to take even longer.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    No, but seriously - if it's that important to you it would be easy to hitch into either Bennington or Manchester Center from one of the many road crossings probably.

    i dont know, theres a long stretch of no roads between bennington and manchester. if its really going to take you more than 4 days to reach manchester you might be stuck out in the glastenbury wilderness on sunday!

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I guess I'm just getting to be an old man with way too many hard miles on my knees and have spent too many nights sleeping in the woods

    All the NOBOs I met my last couple days on the LT were on track to take at least 5-6 days to do that first 60 miles. I'd call that average. I met some who were going to take even longer.
    are these the same people who youre worried may not make it to the end because they sleep until 10am? yeah, sounds about right for someone like that. still, wouldnt call that typical.

  7. #107

    Default

    I was with an AT nobo ( Video) that was 60 years old and had blister problems up the wazoo and still did it in the same time i did. Coach Lou ran into him in Maine

    either way, you'll find out!

  8. #108
    Registered User coach lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2011
    Location
    Old Saybrook, Connecticut
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,728
    Images
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I was with an AT nobo ( Video) that was 60 years old and had blister problems up the wazoo and still did it in the same time i did. Coach Lou ran into him in Maine

    either way, you'll find out!
    Video was 60????? I would have thought he was younger than either me and Hikerboieeeeee

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    are these the same people who youre worried may not make it to the end because they sleep until 10am? yeah, sounds about right for someone like that. still, wouldnt call that typical.
    No, the ones who sleep until 10 AM are the AT thru hikers. I was refering to the LT NOBOs just starting out cold with 30+ pound packs, in thier 40's and 50's and slightly over weight.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  10. #110
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's not that easy if your just starting out. This section of trail is still pretty bumpy with some significant (and seemingly endless) climbs. It took me 3 1/2 days to finish from Manchester, but it would have taken me twice as long to go the other way if I was just starting out. The Long Trail has "NO MERCY" no matter what section you hike. As soon as you start to think "this isn't bad" and are moving right along, they put some obstical in your way.
    On 5/19, for what it's worth, I found 12 miles of Stratton loop to be cakeish, a week after doing Ammonoosuc Ravine trail, there-and-back, and two weeks after an eastern Moosilauke loop with a shorter hike the next day. I ran out of daylight, and was only doing a planned loop anyway, but on that terrain, I felt I could easily have done 20 miles. IOW, had I been with a friend doing a two-car from Stratton-Arlington to Rt. 11/30, I don't think it would've been a problem for me. A long day, yes, but doable. And I'm still 50 lbs from my target weight. 50 down from two years ago when I started hiking, so my legs are well conditioned to cart a load bigger than what they now do, but Jenn Pharr Davis I ain't.

    For the record, 10-K, amigo, while not ready to compete with world-class long distance trail hikers, you are, yes, quite a fast hiker. Your ability to do long hours at a 2.5 mph clip or so qualifies you, methinks. Your ability to go with few breaks also helps. I need a good 5 min break or so per hour, or two shorter ones, in average terrain, plus one good longer lunch break in a 5-10 hour day. Need more breaks in the very steepest stuff I've seen in the Whites, but a lot less now than I needed in much easier CT and Mass terrain a couple years ago. Onward and upward. Am hoping to get out to Colo and summit Longs Peak as soon as a year from now.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    No, the ones who sleep until 10 AM are the AT thru hikers. I was refering to the LT NOBOs just starting out cold with 30+ pound packs, in thier 40's and 50's and slightly over weight.
    well in that case i guess it depends on experience and readiness. i dont believe in the notion of "trail legs." i'm a hiker, even in winter a month doesnt pass where i dont go hike at least 10 or 12 miles, i'm always physically ready to go knock out 20. i suppose back when i had never hiked before in my adult life i couldnt have just gotten off the couch and backpacked 15 miles a day, but i also would not have been silly enough to try. and yes ive ran across these kinds of "hikers" but i still wouldnt call them the norm and i guess i give anyone who plans something major the benefit of the assumption that theyre a hiker and not a middle aged couch potato.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •