WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Got to meet Slo-Go'in when he stayed with us Saturday. He's got lots of hiking experience...and hiking stories !!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Got to meet Slo-Go'in when he stayed with us Saturday. He's got lots of hiking experience...and hiking stories !!!
    From the small world department - I met Slo' north of Hot Springs last year and we both spent the night at Laura Woodward shelter 9 miles from Canada last month....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    My favorite high peak would have to be Mt. Mansfield. When I got to the top there was not a cloud in the sky, no wind, and it was warm. I could see Mt. Washington, the Presidentials, and many of the mountains I had already climbed and the ones I was getting ready to climb.
    Thanks for your feedback, 10-K. Sounds like you had a great day on Mansfield. I hope to do it soon and would love to get the kind of views you got. Have gotten them on Greylock, Monadnock, Moosilauke and Stratton, the family namesake, with shorter views, still very nice, from atop Lafayette and Washington. Loved Stratton the first time I did it, when it was at the threshold of my capabilities two years ago. Honestly, found it a bit boring and wished I was in the Whites instead when I did it this past May, though I did like the Pond, which was the northern extent of the loop hike I did. Did you meet Jean or Hugh, the couple who serve as GMC caretakers at Stratton's summit? Very nice people.

I fancy I might like Camel's Hump even more than Mansfield - will have to do them both and see. Maybe both in one weekend before too long. Want to get to Killington, too.

I've only passed through Manchester but intend to experience it more fully before too long. Nice place - Equinox and Dorset are on my list, too, nice, steep climbs with great views. Speaking of town stops, did you go into Waterbury? I would want to go the Ben and Jerry's world HQs there while the heavy calorie burn of hiking "necessitated" a pint or two of their ice cream.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Adding my congrats for your completion of one of my favorite trails - my first backpacking trip was 35 years ago on the AT/LT in Vermont.

Heading back for a 5 day section hike in early October before the ALDHA Gathering. Looking at Rt. 73 to Camels Hump.

where's the best place in Waitsfield to shower & maybe stay overnite? any recommended places to chow down?

Hydeaway Inn had a fire and closed for a while.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

where's the best place in Waitsfield to shower & maybe stay overnite?
    Check out the Tevere Hostel in Warren about five miles away. $30/night. It was an easy hitch for me both ways from Waitsfield.

I stayed at weathertight. Great breakfast choices.

http://www.weathertopmountaininn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    where's the best place in Waitsfield to shower & maybe stay overnite? any recommended places to chow down?

Hydeaway Inn had a fire and closed for a while.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

LT e2e getting closer
    travel date Tues 9/4
    start date Wed 9/5

hmmmm..... will have to find a sports bar on Sunday 9/9 for NFL opening day games

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    LT e2e getting closer
    travel date Tues 9/4
    start date Wed 9/5

hmmmm..... will have to find a sports bar on Sunday 9/9 for NFL opening day games
    If you are going NOBO, you'll be just right to stay at the Green Mountain Hostel in Manchester on 9/9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    If you are going NOBO, you'll be just right to stay at the Green Mountain Hostel in Manchester on 9/9.
    I belive that is the date Jeff said he's closing down the place - so better check. Four days to get to Manchester Center could be a little tight for a NOBO just starting out. Five to six seems to be more typical.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was there in 3-3.5 tho I did follow an AT nobo so it was 6mi first afternoon... 21mi, 19.5mi, 10mi to manch center... then nice 3mi up to Bromley summit hut for the night

you mileage may vary

Journal Entries
    Images

nice report thanks 10-K
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I was there in 3-3.5 tho I did follow an AT nobo so it was 6mi first afternoon... 21mi, 19.5mi, 10mi to manch center... then nice 3mi up to Bromley summit hut for the night

you mileage may vary
    I made it from "Up for Breakfast" in Manchester Center to my car in Williamstown in exactly 2 days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I belive that is the date Jeff said he's closing down the place - so better check. Four days to get to Manchester Center could be a little tight for a NOBO just starting out. Five to six seems to be more typical.
    when i did williamstown to manchester i was there in 2 short days and 2 full days. started about say noon on a thursday and finished around noon on sunday. could have been earlier too if i saw the point in trying to finish first thing sunday morning. 3 long days doesnt seem entirely unreasonable

It's 60ish miles of easy trail....

It's 60ish miles of easy trail....
    It's not that easy if your just starting out. This section of trail is still pretty bumpy with some significant (and seemingly endless) climbs. It took me 3 1/2 days to finish from Manchester, but it would have taken me twice as long to go the other way if I was just starting out. The Long Trail has "NO MERCY" no matter what section you hike. As soon as you start to think "this isn't bad" and are moving right along, they put some obstical in your way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It's not that easy if your just starting out. This section of trail is still pretty bumpy with some significant (and seemingly endless) climbs. It took me 3 1/2 days to finish from Manchester, but it would have taken me twice as long to go the other way if I was just starting out. The Long Trail has "NO MERCY" no matter what section you hike. As soon as you start to think "this isn't bad" and are moving right along, they put some obstical in your way.
    Depends on your experience and fitness level. I had 150mi of trail already under my belt before I hit W-town to start, including doing the Presidential traverse in a day. My experience is in the White Mountains and I didn't find ANY of the uphills to be that hard the entire way NOBO. I'm also a avid cyclist with 2000-2500mi a year for the prior 3 years.

Hitting the trail from a dead stop with no hiking at all... especially this late in the year seems a bit silly. Even a few weekend hikes with a full pack would be beneficial.

Images

you very clearly regularly show that you think any given of section of trail is much harder than most people think it is. at what point do you accept that your experience just isnt quite typical? i did the hike i described starting cold, and if i had any desire to plan getting to the trail differently so as to allow me to start at the crack of dawn on the first day, finishing in 3 days flat would have been easy. is this because i'm a super human awesome hiker? no, people like that do it in 2 (as evidenced by 10-K's experience). anyone who needs 6 days is a slow hiker. nothing wrong with that, but lets not call that average.

However long it takes it's better than being at work.

BTW, I'm not a fast hiker. I start early, don't take more than 2-3 ten minute breaks, 30 minutes or so for lunch, and hike until dark.

People pass me all_the_time - I almost always pass them when they have already stopped for the day and I'm still hiking for a few hours.

I really, really don't like to camp that much or just sit around. For me, hiking means moving.
    Last edited by 10-K; 09-01-2012 at 14:36.

Images

However long it takes it's better than being at work.

BTW, I'm not a fast hiker. I start early, don't take more than 2-3 ten minute breaks, 30 minutes or so for lunch, and hike until dark.

People pass me all_the_time - I almost always pass them when they have already stopped for the day and I'm still hiking for a few hours.

I really, really don't like to camp that much or just sit around. For me, hiking means moving.
    well youre certainly faster than me at any rate, i hike all day and could never do 30 two days in a row in southern VT. it doesnt seem like a whole lot of thrus take it that fast (fast as in miles per day) either. i guess maybe it is more of an endurance thing. while i keep going i do drag horribly at different times of the day.

and really, if i can only manage 10 miles a day and do... i dont even know what... the rest of time, i might just rather go to work.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++