WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I think rastraikis would have a hard time tying a box (with a preacher still on it) to the cat's tail...
    Do you think staples would work? I was thinking the big staples that they use to staple cardboard boxes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I wonder if he's Catholic? Maybe just hasn't been to church in a while and needs good confession.
    He'll have to hitchhike... He just scared anyone (who is religious) off who would have given him a ride to church.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I wonder if he's Catholic? Maybe just hasn't been to church in a while and needs good confession.
    I'll be the Father and let him confess to me, but first of all I need to get that electric chair all wired up that he will be sitting on in the the little booth nest to me. I think I will even have a squirt gun....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    I'll be the Father and let him confess to me, but first of all I need to get that electric chair all wired up that he will be sitting on in the the little booth nest to me. I think I will even have a squirt gun....
    Don't forget to say, "Wrong answer," as you give him a little jolt. That'll put the fear in him!

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    Get one of those electric fly swatters and make him lick it every time he lies.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Get one of those electric fly swatters and make him lick it every time he lies.
    But how would he be able to talk with all the non-stop licking going on?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Don't forget to say, "Wrong answer," as you give him a little jolt. That'll put the fear in him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgZn...=1&safe=active

The Grand Inquisitor
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

In response to the OP, if you dont like it or dont want to hear it, you arent obligated to stay or eat. Just move along. I dont see how this is even an issue

Journal Entries
    Images

Forum : Appalachian Trail : Forums : General : RELIGION vs TRUTH on trial

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I started reading this to just get feel for the community feeling on this, but what I end up seeing is the same thing that I see on alot of these posts. It breaks down to personal attacks (granted the original post seemed aggresive). When I first signed up for White Blazes I thought it would be a more polite forum where people treated others with dignity and respect and unfortunately I see a lack of that. I realize I have the choice of reading or not reading, being a member or not being a member, so on and so forth. Maybe I had to lofty of expectations, I suppose that is my fault. Hike your own hike and treat others the way you would want to be treated. Just my humble two scents.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    In response to the OP, if you dont like it or dont want to hear it, you arent obligated to stay or eat. Just move along. I dont see how this is even an issue
    couldn't agree more!
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Wow, just walk away. For a non-believer the OP sure seems to believe.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dude. seriously? another non-issue on the AT
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    yup. said basically the same thing 150 posts ago. what a dumb thread

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sublimety View Post
    I started reading this to just get feel for the community feeling on this, but what I end up seeing is the same thing that I see on alot of these posts. It breaks down to personal attacks (granted the original post seemed aggresive). When I first signed up for White Blazes I thought it would be a more polite forum where people treated others with dignity and respect and unfortunately I see a lack of that. I realize I have the choice of reading or not reading, being a member or not being a member, so on and so forth. Maybe I had to lofty of expectations, I suppose that is my fault. Hike your own hike and treat others the way you would want to be treated. Just my humble two scents.
    Yup, you nailed it, the tone of the posts on this site ebbs and flows, but it's been dissappointingly hostile for the last few months. Unfortunately there are a number of people who don't understand that there's a difference between saying "I disagree with your comment" and "I disagree with your comment, therefore your an idiot." Personally I have a very low tolerance for people who post the latter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Yup, you nailed it, the tone of the posts on this site ebbs and flows, but it's been dissappointingly hostile for the last few months. Unfortunately there are a number of people who don't understand that there's a difference between saying "I disagree with your comment" and "I disagree with your comment, therefore your an idiot." Personally I have a very low tolerance for people who post the latter.
    x2 on this AND Sublimety's post....

Hmmm.................. I did hear a lot of hikers kind of praying, a lot of G Damn its and J Christs when the trail got steep or tough.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    My guess is that they see people who are thruhiking as people who are lost spiritually and going into the woods to 'find themselves.' Many are also at transitional points in their lives whether they have just completed high school or college or are having a midlife crisis or are just retiring, have empty nest syndrome, name your cliche. All of these things might make people emotionally vulnerable and thus a good mark. People who are lost often grasp at the easiest solution, and religion provides that easy solution..."just believe" and all your problems will be solved...and they want to catch people during this time of weakness.
    More likely, they just think there are many lost people everywhere and they happen to either be in proximity to the trail, or enjoy hiking themselves.

Years ago Dave Barry made a comment that "People who want you to listen to their religious views are never willing to hear yours." Next time you encounter someone like the OP did just offer them 10 minutes of your time if you are allowed to speak for 10 minutes first. For about the last 20 years that has worked really well for me.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Why don't we all stop this arguement and go out and hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Religion DOES NOT BELONG ON TRAIL EVER.
    Hmm. What about pesky grandparents telling you about their grandchildren? Should that EVER be on the trail? What if I don't want to hear about grandkids?

You're on the trail, you converse with people (if you choose to be around them). Topics come up that are interesting to them. Sometimes, for all of us, we're not as interested as the person we're listening to. Somehow we deal with it, but the anti-thesists claim the RIGHT to not ever be in an awkward conversation.

What if two people who are religious plan a hike together? Are they allowed to discuss religion with each other? What if someone overhears them? Has that person's RIGHT been violated?

If two religious people meet up on the trail, is protocol so tight that they're not allowed to even say enough to discover this mutual interest?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++