WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I too have been looking at a lot of these packs. I have been drawn to the MLD Exodus FS. Specs are much like the ULA Circut, but quite a bit lighter. Anyone with experience with the Exodus FS?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    I had an Osprey Aether 70, and was unhappy with it. The suspension system was fantastic, but the lower pockets were almost useless. They were too tight to get water bottles into, but had vent holes in them so you couldn't put smaller items in them with out them falling out. Why even bother to put them on the pack. Took it back to REI and then ordered a Go lite quest 80L. Some will chime in and say that pack is too large, but I'm a big guy, and sometimes my wife goes, and I carry a lot of her stuff also. I would rather carry more and have her go. She loves to hike, but carrying weight hurts her back, so it's way worth it to me to carry her stuff so we can do some stuff together. I have only tried out the Go lite on local park trails as a "break in" type experience, so I can't give a long term report. Doing Newfound Gap to NOC the last week in Oct, so I plan on writing up a report on it then.
    I love my 75L pack... I got it big so I can carry my kid's stuff. Im usually the guy with the biggest pack on our weekend group hikes, but Im also the only one without stuff dangling all over the place. Its funny when people tell you "Your pack is too large! You should get a 40 or 50L pack", while theirs is bursting at the seams and has stuff strapped all over the outside.
    Mine is no way ultralight though... so your mileage may vary.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just hiked the Long Trail with a Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack and it has a very good carry. I maxed out around 18ish lbs fully loaded so I don't know how it would do with 20+ but I have no complaints at all with this pack.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I have a ULA Circuit, an Osprey Exos 34, and a Gossamer Gear Gorilla. The Gorilla is by far my favorite pack. I also have a Gossamer Gear Murmur and use it for all of my summer, early fall, and late spring trips.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I like the zpack. I've had one of the original blast 3600 for a couple of years. It weighs 10 oz with all my bells and whistles. I can't believe it carries so well and is so comfortable. I just got my newest zpack - a blast 3600 custom sized to about 4600. Weighs 17 oz. and carries my winter gear set and bear can with room left over. it even more comfortable than my previous zpack, my starlite, my ula circuit, and my GG miniposa. Somehow, the blast just hits the sweetspot for packs fitting on me. Yep, it was about $370 with all my preferred options but its way worth it to me.

One thing I look at very carefully is the main bag size. Too often, the pack sizes are somewhat overstated by adding in a bunch of other harder to use pockets.

happy shopping!

I have a blast 36 as well. Even though it's very light it doesn't carry well for me with less than 18 pounds because it's so big.

Plus the bigger the pack the more stuff you think you need.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I have a blast 36 as well. Even though it's very light it doesn't carry well for me with less than 18 pounds because it's so big.

Plus the bigger the pack the more stuff you think you need.

wanna sell that old blast 36? just gonna hurt yourself if you try to use it

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    wanna sell that old blast 36? just gonna hurt yourself if you try to use it
    Nah...

It'll come in handy this winter probably when I need the volume it holds.

I'll have to say this.. for a pack this size it holds an incredible amount. It has much more usable space (to me) than a typical backpack like a Catalyst that's rated a similar size.

Nah...

It'll come in handy this winter probably when I need the volume it holds.

I'll have to say this.. for a pack this size it holds an incredible amount. It has much more usable space (to me) than a typical backpack like a Catalyst that's rated a similar size.
    (sigh)...I really needed a new daypack.

This just points up the fact that the pack ads are mysterious and a question. the catalyst is advertised as 4600ci, for crying out loud! the main bag is 2600ci and this probably does compare to the blast 3600. I bought my starlite because the main bag was 3000ci and bigger than most of the competition like catalyst and circuit but still around 2 pounds total in weight. you really have to get the dimensions of a pack main bag to make any kind of rationale comparison. My new zpack is a f'ing monster - 13 x 9 x 31 main bag. with the new compression straps, it tightens down nicely. plenty of room for my comfort gear. WM versa bag, custom stevenson down air mattress, MH mega UL2 tent, jetboil, and zero degree long johnsons.

I was recently out on the PCT in northern cali. I did see several zpacks and they were crammed so full, they couldn't close them. I had to use my starlite to get the bearikade bear can in the pack

I have three catalysts as well. The blast 36 will absolutely carry more as the main body is really where all the space is.

I agree, pack sizes can be very deceptive.

I guess that's because on the blast every other kind of pocket is an option.

I have found this very confusing as well. I look at the pack sizes and some packs have the it broken down by main compartment, pockets etc... While others just list one number and I don't know if they mean for the main compartment or how it is broken down. That makes it tough to figure out which one would carry my gear the best.

I guess that's because on the blast every other kind of pocket is an option.
    used to be, but not now. lower side pockets and the back net pocket is standard on a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotobugFred View Post
    I have found this very confusing as well. I look at the pack sizes and some packs have the it broken down by main compartment, pockets etc... While others just list one number and I don't know if they mean for the main compartment or how it is broken down. That makes it tough to figure out which one would carry my gear the best.
    take your gear down to REI and try loading in the exos and see how it goes. That might give you an idea of how much room you need. No REI, maybe try a walmart pack of similar claimed dimensions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++