WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you want the best and the brightest to do the work and "stick it out" long term that's right in line for a lobbyist and advocate for conservancy...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-25-2012 at 10:09.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post
    This is why the AMC should be removed.. Their own 990 tax filing

http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990_...201012_990.pdf

Andrew Felender - president of the AMC pays himself $300,000 a year in salary.. At least six others pull down over $100,000 a year.

Out of $20,000,000 in revenue, $10,000,000 goes toward salaries... Good if you are a for-profit company, bad for a non-profit
    While I understand what you are saying, the salaries are a pittance compared to similarly sized companies based in Boston. The AMC has 100,000 members and manages 16,000 volunteers. If it were a similarly sized company based in the Boston area the CEO and upper managers would each make substantially more than $300k
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-24-2012 at 00:14.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf:1328202

Andrew Felender - president of the AMC pays himself $300,000 a year in salary.. At least six others pull down over $100,000 a year.

Out of $20,000,000 in revenue, $10,000,000 goes toward salaries... Good if you are a for-profit company, bad for a non-profit
    While I understand what you are saying, the salaries are a pittance compared to similarly sorgan impatiens based in Boston. The AMC has 100,000 members and manages 16,000 volunteers. If it were a similarly sized company based in the Boston area the CEO and upper managers would each make substantially more than $300k
    They are underpaid compared to United Way management.

Images

6 figure salaries arent unusal for lobbiests,which is only a part of what the amc does,that still left 10 mil for education,land purchases construction,etc.the officers are elected.and they do a good job.if you can repla e the amc as well as its entire membership,i would suggest you get started on your plan.who do you think is doing all the work?

It seems fairly obvious that the OP is a first time hiker in New England.
    Lots of rocks for sure.
    Many places in CA or CO have more.
    Obviously Texas doesn't.
    Maybe you should just stay in Texas next trip, aye?

I grew up near the trail in PA near Port Clinton and hiked the local trails many times before setting out on my first thru.
    I was a bit surprised at the lack of rocks when I got to GA and didn't understand till later that it's mainly "north of the mason dixon line" that has the granite rock fields that I grew up on.
    I actually love rock hopping these boulder fields.
    Maine is my favorite state for hiking on the AT.
    New Hampshire and the whites would be 2nd.

I hiked in Texas once. It was a lot of flat, treeless, hot, hiking and not really my style.
    I didn't go back.

Priorities are everything!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I hiked in Texas once. It was a lot of flat, treeless, hot, hiking and not really my style.
    I didn't go back.
    I'd bet if you get out to Big Bend country and westward there's some very pretty desert and mountain country hiking in Texas. I did a hike with my sister back in '97 in the Hill Country west of Austin, and it was very pretty. No need to knock some Texas just because some random Texan whines about the mean rocks and "incompetent" trail maintainers of New Hampster. Just because we have more rocks to throw, it doesn't mean we should. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

What would you rather them spend the money on? Do you want more shelters? Would you rather the money go towards building more huts? If they are not spending it on salaries of the people taking care of the mountains, then they would be spending it on building more stuff.

Grab a Rake and a Shovel and have at it..

This is a perspective issue. You hike the trail and get used to constantly seeing a blaze in front of you and then suddenly they are gone. You just need to pay a little more attention in the whites.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I'd bet if you get out to Big Bend country and westward there's some very pretty desert and mountain country hiking in Texas. I did a hike with my sister back in '97 in the Hill Country west of Austin, and it was very pretty. No need to knock some Texas just because some random Texan whines about the mean rocks and "incompetent" trail maintainers of New Hampster. Just because we have more rocks to throw, it doesn't mean we should. ...
    My point was that this guy was probably expecting New Hampshire to be more like Texas and was a bit disappointed when it wasn't.
    To me (growing up boulder-hopping), I'll take NH mountains before Big Bend country, given the choice although I've learned to like variety in hiking.
    And yes, I have tried both.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

the op was probably disappointed there arent a many hiker feeds in the northeast as in the south.
    (although the trail magic is still there, its a biit more arbitrary, which makes it all the more special when it happens). it seems to me a simple entitlement issue, as usual.
    who ever said it was easy?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I just got finished with the presidential range. This was my first time in the Whites. Personally (and this is JUST my personal feeling) the ATC should move the Appalachian Trail. Climbing Madison was not HIKING it is boulder hoping, mountain climbing and scared the begeeberz out of me. I want to HIKE not mountain climb. I will not finish the AT because I will not go back to the Whites. There are too many good hiking trails to hike so that I don't have to boulder hop and face death with every step.
    Just curious- what route? It all depends on what sort of walking you grow used to...

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    word of advice- stay off of kinsman ridge, north carter mtn, mt garfield and the mahoosuc range. madison is comparatively easy, though i do get what you mean. i enjoyed all of the whites once but i really don't know how much enthusiasm i have for the idea of ever rehiring any of it.
    There are a couple hinky ways up to Madison. Not everyone does the Valley Way.

I walked on some dirt the other day. It was soft.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Just curious- what route? It all depends on what sort of walking you grow used to...

There are a couple hinky ways up to Madison. Not everyone does the Valley Way.

I walked on some dirt the other day. It was soft.
    i felt safe in assuming the poster was talking about following the AT along the ridgeline and up and over madison, which is the only thing ive ever done.

Images

When I was in the Whites, it was a gorgeous weekend, absolutely perfect weather, and I was so totally amazed at the number of hikers out on the trails, there were hundreds of people out - small children (one dad with a 4yo, 6yo and 8yo boys) everyone seemed well equipped and having a good time. I was thrilled to see so many people out, and, there are so many trails in the Whites, and the huts were very impressive. It changed my attitude about the fees they charge for the huts. I stayed in the dungeon at Lake of the Clouds, The crew, works their tails off non stop, I got a nice warm bowl of soup which was delicious. I'm not sure I would want to stay at the huts often, it was kind of a zoo, or summer camp atmosphere, but for what the AMC does in the Whites, it's pretty amazing.
    For me personally, I'll stick to hiking in places like the GSMNP where I've hiked nearly all the trails (I"ve hiked about 1500 miles in the park) or even the JMT where you are above treeline but still on a real trail. I will stick to the South, the West, the North, even the East and overseas, I just wont' do the Whites. HYOH, life is way too short to do things you don't like.

When the hell is someone going to supply helicopter service between huts???? Thats what I want to know!

I mean when I go for a hike in the white mtns, I dont want to hike, I want to be air lifted from place to place so I can more enjoy the scenery....Jesus, whats a brother got to do to Skyblaze in this damn state!!!!!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    When the hell is someone going to supply helicopter service between huts???? Thats what I want to know!I mean when I go for a hike in the white mtns, I dont want to hike, I want to be air lifted from place to place so I can more enjoy the scenery....Jesus, whats a brother got to do to Skyblaze in this damn state!!!!!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?
    The whites are serious hiking, nothing like that level graded well marked American Discovery Trail ;-)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Fire the AMC???

AMC stands for?? Always Meeting Club or the Appachian Money Collectors.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

FWIW, I didn't like hiking in the Whites and likely won't ever hike there again either but I didn't have any navigational problems. The only time I a bit concerned was going up Moosilake (sp?) and didn't see a blaze in forever but I saw a sign pointing towards the summit and I knew the AT went over the top so I figured if I wasn't on the AT I'd figure it out when I got up top. If I recall, when I hit the summit there were blazes on or near the cairns and I learned I had been going the right way.

Beautiful, beautiful country - just too many rocks for me. Love my southern Apps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    When the hell is someone going to supply helicopter service between huts???? T
    To bring up that fact, the AMC spends over $100,000 a year for helicopter services

They are underpaid compared to United Way management.

The United Way only spends about 20 percent of their revenue on salaries. The AMC spends 50 percent. Take away your biased for hiking and 50 percent is considered to be a wasteful and scrooge charity by other means.

And that's just the reported compensation. Many other compensations aren't included, like automobiles, vocations, personal chefs, and other perks.

So remember, everytime you volunteer with the AMC, the leaders of the AMC are pocketing cash off of it.

Avoid giving them a dime and a moment of your time. Invest your time in legitimate trail organizations like the PATC, who pay their leaders 1/3rd of the salary of the AMC.

And by the way, the Georgia Appalachian Club does pay a dime in salary to anyone. All volunteer on every level. Yet they do one heck of a job maintaining the trail in Georgia.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++