WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

what does the head of the ATC get paid?

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The AMC's maintenance of the AT is appalling. Their only interest seems to be their huts. When one crosses from AMC to MAMC territory the difference is immediately apparent. Time to find another club that is interested in the AT.

There was a stretch in the Whites of several miles without a single blaze. How much does white paint cost? Every downhill stretch is completely washed away to nothing but rocks and roots. Maybe some of the folks from south of the Mason-Dixon can teach them how to divert water flow off the trail.

I'm in Rangeley, ME, about 220 miles to go to Katadin.
    need to dial whine one one for a whaaaambulance

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    And believe about a quarter of the crap you find on the googles.
    They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I
    nice ........

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Big time credit goes to all the volunteers, they work hard for nothing and are the backbone of the AT system.
    Not so sure about the paid professionals, it never ceases to amaze me how much money non-profit execs make.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ive applied for permits to begin construction of the Appalachian tRailroad. separate smoking car, car for trailfeeds, and over 100 tent platform cars,etc.
    it would make things so much easier.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ive applied for permits to begin construction of the Appalachian tRailroad. separate smoking car, car for trailfeeds, and over 100 tent platform cars,etc.
    it would make things so much easier.
    But, a horse-drawn carriage ride might be rather nice...

Journal Entries
    Images

$256k in 2010. That was about 10 percent more than he did in 2002.

Images

But those trails in Lebanon were worth it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    $256k in 2010. Thawas about 10 percent more than he did in 2002.
    Just noticed Lone Wolf asked about the ATC. My numbers above are for the AMC.

The ATC pays its leadership a good deal less. The ATC used to provide link to Guidestar.org on their website but anyone can look this up. The ATC should be proud of getting the very best without paying too much.

Images

An accurate reading of the 2002 form 990 shows that the AMC's highest paid employee (Andrew Falander sp?) made over double the $118K figure you cite for that year.

That is what some call a "true" fact.

I don't expect you to apologize for your error. Nor do I expect you will consider how the AMC has purchased and protected many 10's of thousands of acres of land up in Maine over that same period you call out.

Not with your money, but with that of its members-- in amounts ranging from a few dollars to millions.

I don't expect you to recognize that the land the AMC has protected is something you can enjoy-- whether or not you elect to stay at one of their facilities or not. You will be welcome as will your children and grandchildren and great grand children.

I don't expect you to agree that a membership organization with widespread operations in many states, and running everything from camps, to the huts to professional (and volunteer) trail crews, to a publishing arm (books guides and magazine) to a small museum (have you ever checked out the Brad Washbourn exhibit) to hostels, requires a leadership with special talents. Or even see that the huts are just the most visible part of the AMC -- a part that accommodates some 40,000 people a year, BTW. But there is so much more. Do you even know about Upper Goose Pond?

I don't expect you to understand the value of countless hours (unpaid) put in by the AMC board, and by other at the chapter level-- and how those who are actually paying the bills (I am assuming you are not a contributor) believe that their organization deserves the level of individuals the hire.

But I would expect you get your basic fact straight before calling them out as corrupt.
    Rick - best post in this entire stupid discussion! It always amazes me to hear people trash the AMC just because of their own lack of knowledge or because of something someone else told them. Thank goodness for all the hard working people and volunteers in the AMC. If you don't like what they do, don't join, don't support them and go hike somewhere else.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

The ATC pays its leadership a good deal less. The ATC used to provide link to Guidestar.org on their website but anyone can look this up. The ATC should be proud of getting the very best without paying too much.
    let us not also forget that it is entirely possible the ATC does a lot less than the AMC does. again, you need to look at everything AMC does and not just see them as responsible for a few miles of the AT and ignore everything else.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    AMC is worse than the Mafia. They make millions renting out hut space on Taxpayer owned property. These guys have more political power than the gun lobby and some of their tactis are as bad. They do what thay want when they want. Good luck getting them to do anything.

but the gun lobby has more "power"

am I right?

yeah i'm right!

haha

LOVE MY GUNS!
    -Jason

Daaamn Moldy you need some Cheese & Crackers with that WHINE

http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990_...201012_990.pdf

$119,000 a year according to the 2010 tax statement. No where near as bad as the AMC pays out.

However, the ATC though is another group that is badly managed with half of it's money toward salaries instead of it's intended purpose. A good charity should pay no more then 20 percent of it's money toward salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz:1332038
    http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990_...201012_990.pdf

$119,000 a year according to the 2010 tax statement. No where near as bad as the AMC pays out.

However, the ATC though is another group that is badly managed with half of it's money toward salaries instead of it's intended purpose. A good charity should pay no more then 20 percent of it's money toward salaries.
    It's a non profit, not a charity. Apples and Oranges.

Images

there's no reason at all why people should not be paid what they're worth. nonprofit charity or otherwise

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If this has already been posted forgive me, I just can't read every post.

AMC' Public Disclosure Statement for 2010 is here:

http://www.outdoors.org/pdf/upload/2...disclosure.pdf

AMC President Andrew Falander combined compensation was almost $300,000 in 2010.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I rest my case. they are not public servants. if you want to compain about Mispent money call your Senators and your congressman.
    today

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The ATC is headquartered in West Virginia, the AMC is based in downtown Boston. The difference in the cost of living and comparable salaries available in each area need to be taken into account when comparing their salaries.

That said, each of these CEO's could be making substantially more if they chose to move to corporate America. I respect the valid discussion of whether their salaries are justified, but keep in mind that the leadership of both organizations choose to work their jobs while fully aware that they could get a significant pay increase if they quit and moved to a for profit company.

Just to put things in perspective, the link below gives a breakdown of the total compensation (I.E. Salary plus bonus, stock awards, deferred income and retirement packages, etc.) paid to the CEOs of publicly traded companies in massachusetts. The AMC is not listed since it is a non-profit, but give it a read through and it should provide a fair idea of where their pay falls relative to comparable positions in the private sector.

http://www.boston.com/multimedia/business/ceopay2010/
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++