WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Time to fire AMC

The AMC's maintenance of the AT is appalling. Their only interest seems to be their huts. When one crosses from AMC to MAMC territory the difference is immediately apparent. Time to find another club that is interested in the AT.

There was a stretch in the Whites of several miles without a single blaze. How much does white paint cost? Every downhill stretch is completely washed away to nothing but rocks and roots. Maybe some of the folks from south of the Mason-Dixon can teach them how to divert water flow off the trail.

I'm in Rangeley, ME, about 220 miles to go to Katadin.

fire them? who exactly is paying them?

http://www.outdoors.org/pdf/upload/A...011_FORWEB.pdf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The AMC's maintenance of the AT is appalling. Their only interest seems to be their huts. When one crosses from AMC to MAMC territory the difference is immediately apparent. Time to find another club that is interested in the AT.

There was a stretch in the Whites of several miles without a single blaze. How much does white paint cost? Every downhill stretch is completely washed away to nothing but rocks and roots. Maybe some of the folks from south of the Mason-Dixon can teach them how to divert water flow off the trail.

ahh its that time of year again, for a thru hiker to complain about the AT in the white mountains, ignoring the fact that the AT is a tiny little speck in a massive area used by thousands of people who could care less about the AT. thats the main (no pun intended) between the whites and maine. youre back in "the world revolves around the AT" land instead of a place where its just one of countless concerns.

When an AT Hiker can't find those White Blazes, it turns each mile into a chore instead of a pleasure. The AMC has taken on this responsibility, which doesn't seem like an insurmountable task to accomplish. They need to do their job. Many people contribute to the AMC and maybe instead of seeking to get 500,000 kids outdoors - they need to make sure that these same kids don't get lost by adequately marking the trail.

Have you thought about volunteering your time on a trail maintenance crew?

AMC is worse than the Mafia. They make millions renting out hut space on Taxpayer owned property. These guys have more political power than the gun lobby and some of their tactis are as bad. They do what thay want when they want. Good luck getting them to do anything.

Journal Entries
    Images

Might want to think that one thru swjohnsey

Images

Youll find plenty of wet trail in maine too.how would you like to help in the maintence.whining is not a solution.

Trail maintainers in New England have different challenges than we do down here in the south, so comparing Northern -vs- Southern maintainers isn't really fair. Putting in a water bar/water diversion is a whole lot tougher in New England than it is down here in the south. Join a Trail Club when you finish the trail, then you'll see the difference. Congrats on your hike!

Hell I think its over blazed in the Whites. The damn trail is carved out right in front of you in the rocks. Also, what sections are you talking about specifically that are washed out? Instead of whining here, you should actually contact the AMC to let them know of any wash outs. The early parts of August were excessively wet up here. Always been the policy of hiking where I have lived. In case you havent noticed, the trail isnt a road walk. Yea you may have to climb some rocks and walk over roots and yes, navigate some wash outs.There are some of the most creative and awesome stairs and ladders built up here. There is one specifically on Mt Willey, just off the AT that is almost a half mile ladder built into the side of a giant slab of Granite and you can see it from Ethan Pond. I can provide pictures if you need them. There is a huge difference in trails from south to north. The north is mostly granite, solid rock. Just figured Id point that out. I am proud to be a part of the AMC. From the times I have been out this year, I have seen a lot of trail work being done.
    Last edited by Chaco Taco; 08-23-2012 at 15:23.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Proof that it's not just the young thru-hikers who can be whiny little (female dogs). For the record, swjohnsey, at one point or another last year I thought of almost every one of the complaints you list for NH. But for the most part I kept them to myself and tried to see the bigger picture. This thread's not making it into the WhiteBlaze Hall of Fame, that's for sure.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    Proof that it's not just the young thru-hikers who can be whiny little (female dogs). For the record, swjohnsey, at one point or another last year I thought of almost every one of the complaints you list for NH. But for the most part I kept them to myself and tried to see the bigger picture. This thread's not making it into the WhiteBlaze Hall of Fame, that's for sure.
    Hurricane Irene did do a significant amount of damage up here last year.

Trying to separate the two issues:

trail maintenance - The USFS and the AMC are still trying to recvoer from the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. A big backlog of work exists. Also those of us who are volunteers are limited to level 1 maintenance. I can't install a new water bar.

paint blazes - I do level 1 maintence twice a year on my small section. My first priority is clearing water bars, my second is brushing out, and the last one is painting blazes. Also blazing is not allowed in USFS wilderness areas, so that is why you didn't have any as you traveled over the Presidental Range along the Crawford Path.

Are people really relying on paint blazes to find the AT in New Hampshire? The AT is routed on along many of the most popular trails in NH. Did this guy have a map and compass with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Trying to separate the two issues:

trail maintenance - The USFS and the AMC are still trying to recvoer from the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. A big backlog of work exists. Also those of us who are volunteers are limited to level 1 maintenance. I can't install a new water bar.

paint blazes - I do level 1 maintence twice a year on my small section. My first priority is clearing water bars, my second is brushing out, and the last one is painting blazes. Also blazing is not allowed in USFS wilderness areas, so that is why you didn't have any as you traveled over the Presidental Range along the Crawford Path.

Are people really relying on paint blazes to find the AT in New Hampshire? The AT is routed on along many of the most popular trails in NH. Did this guy have a map and compass with him?
    and some of the oldest trails in the country

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Hurricane Irene did do a significant amount of damage up here last year.
    True, but I was at the border of AMC/MATC lands--Grafton Notch and in town in Bethel--for the storm. So I got to see all the AMC trails pre-Irene. In retrospect, I really have no complaints about the AMC's trailbuilding on the AT. Having volunteered at Konnarock in VA for a summer 6 years ago, (and all that was a walk in the park compared to the Whites), I have a sense of how hard trailbuilding must be for the Whites. I'm certainly not complaining now.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Did you even have a map with you? Because it makes "navigation" in the Whites a snap. The trail network there is massive, and it was there long before the AT was. You don't need blazes. As for the steep trails...well, plently of people love it that way, and the gnarlier the better. Ever tried to do trail maitenence when you're down to the bedrock? Only way to fix it is to make a new trail, and what a nightmare that would be. You have it easy down south.

Images

What the amc and the matc have constructef in the whites and maine is nothing short of miraculous.
    I also am a proud member of both.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    When an AT Hiker can't find those White Blazes, it turns each mile into a chore instead of a pleasure. The AMC has taken on this responsibility, which doesn't seem like an insurmountable task to accomplish. They need to do their job. Many people contribute to the AMC and maybe instead of seeking to get 500,000 kids outdoors - they need to make sure that these same kids don't get lost by adequately marking the trail.

any and if the AT were the only trail through the whites, or even the reason why most hikers went hiking in the whites, i'd tend to agree. it is not. not even close, something very few of us around here seem to appreciate in the least.

theres another thread around here somewhere about the massive crowds of people who are out hiking in the whites on most days this time of year. care to wager how many of them are there actively hiking the AT, either in sections or as thrus? if it was 2% i'd be shocked.

Images

I have found it close to impossible to get lost on the at unless you're in a white out

Also proud member of AMC. I agree with barfight the south has it much easier when it comes to trail work but not taking away fro
    m either crews and vols. They are the ones doing a thankless job as shown by the op

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++