WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The sad thing with dogs is how short a time they live. My deepest condonences.

FB

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Sailing Faith, that is terrible and I'm so sorry to hear it. I've been in the same situation twice in the last few years and I know there's not much to really say, it just sucks. In time the good memories will grow bolder and the sadness will grow weaker, but for now just stay strong, you'll get through this.

Also, you absolutely did the right thing by being in the operating room with him at the end. I'm glad you're Vet allowed it.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-23-2012 at 22:51.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I'm so sorry. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I cried for weeks when my dog passed away. It's indescribable how special they are. I'm sorry

Images

Beautiful dog! He sure had a great doggie life! Don't worry, he'll be waiting for you. Suggested viewing: Twilight Zone Season 3 Episode 19.

Thanks for the beautiful post, and for sharing your heart and touching ours. It was such a vivid snapshot of your relationship. You were both faithful to the very end, as it should be, thanks for the blessing.

My friends,

Thank you.

One of the profound feelings I have had since Peter's passing is isolation. With Peters departure there is pretty much one person in my universe who really knows me close, and Peter was with me... he was always there for me and I miss him terribly.

The comments left on this thread, and the many amazing PM's have meant more to me then you may be able to appreciate. I know that my experience is not unique among those of us who love these animals... but the heartfelt comments have really made a difference in my life and I am very, very grateful.

Some who may read this might ask why all the fuss about a dog. I am sorry they do not understand, and I am thankful you do. My life's work has allowed me to deal with people who have experienced the worst kinds of tragedy and loss... combat loss, trauma and unimaginable human experiences. It is a mistake to try to compare these sufferings (or any other)... all suffering is unique within the context.

I like to think that there IS something unique about those drawn to the woods... to the water.. and to these animals. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for confirming that is true.

Peace, 'fair winds' and smooth trails to you all.

Please read and heed the OP... and enjoy your walk.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Cherish every moment

This is the second attempt I am making to write this. It is really hard to put this down, but I want to share it here.

I know that most folks wont understand, but since I am posting this in “Dogs on the Appalachian Trail” forum I suspect the odds are better.

I lost my friend of 11 years yesterday, and words can not tell you how that makes me feel. I have been very fortunate to have some great dogs in my life, but Peter really was a great one.

It is not a coincidence that if you look at my last post here, it was to brag about how well behaved he was. He really was amazing, and I never took him for granted.

Some would say I “rescued” him off of the side of a highway when he was 6 weeks old all those years ago… the truth is that it is more accurate to say he rescued me.

He was not afraid of much. It is interesting that as I type this, there is a lightening storm flashing around me… one of his only fears. Knowing it can not scare him now is a comfort… now I am crying again. I want to tell the story….

He rode up to Mississippi with me this weekend to camp at Tishomingo State Park while I had some medical treatments. He loved to hike and camp and was a perfect companion. He had traveled on my small boat to the Bahamas and gone on many adventures… he carried his own pack and was the perfect traveler. People liked him, and even non-dog people commented on how well behaved he was. My general policy was that if I could not take him, I did not want to go. It was a policy that served me well and my only regrets are where I disregarded it.

We drove back and he was (as usual) content to sleep and look out the window. We got home in the evening and although we had been on the road all day we went for our normal 6.5 mile walk. He gets lots of time off leash on the walk, and chased rabbits as is his custom. We got home, and he finished off the bottom of a carton of cottage cheese for me (the last bite of sandwich, or whatever I was eating ALWAYS belonged to him).

We settled in for the night, and I slept soundly with him on watch as always. Yesterday morning though, he did not eat his breakfast and I noticed his stomach was swollen. I sensed something was wrong so we went to the vet.

Apparently he had a tumor that had been growing on his liver, and started to bleed. The vet did an x-ray, then and ultrasound and finally exploratory surgery to learn the liver was so full of blood there was no possible way to save my best friend.

He allowed my unusual request to come into the operating room and hold Peter’s head as they administered the medication to stop his heart so I could tell him one more time just what a good boy he was and how thankful I was to have had him in my life.

He was 11, and I really thought we had much more time. The vet had said less then a month earlier that he was in terrific shape. We walk almost 200 miles a month, and he has had excellent care and feeding sine he was a pup.

No matter if you are a man or a pup, life is short.

Hike more, Sail more, Live more, Love more, Laugh more... do not let it pass un-noticed or taken for granted... .

Please cherish every moment.

Peace and Love,

Craig and Peter Dog.

(Clich here to see more pictures of a truly wonderful dog).

dam now youve got me all wet eyed.here it is gentlemen glasses in the air...a toast.... to a true friend,may we all be so lucky.

SF...I can relate to your experience, the most emotional experience I've been thru was having to put our 16 yr old 4-legged family member down a few years back. Be it animal or person, all we can hope for is to live out the life we've been given in the fullest manner possible. I suspect your buddy had as good a life as he could hope for.

Default I can totally relate to your story. I recently lost my sweet 12 yr.old boxer, Ellie.

I was lucky to have Ellie for the 12 years that I had her. She was my sidekick through everything. I couldn't have asked asked for a smarter, sweeter dog. I too always made sure she was current with her vet visits and senior checks through the last years of her life. Her doctor always said how amazed he was at her excellent health. And then one day, she became very winded and after taking her in to her vet we found that she had a tumor on her lung. We fought the tumor with medications and decided that she would not survive surgery. I did for Ellie what I had always promised her that I would do, and that was take care of her. I have never had to make a tougher decision in my life. I miss my girl every single day. I look forward to the day that I get to see her again. Your post has touched my heart and I just wanted to say that you are not alone. I'm sure Peter & Ellie are running together!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Cherish every moment

This is the second attempt I am making to write this. It is really hard to put this down, but I want to share it here.

I know that most folks wont understand, but since I am posting this in “Dogs on the Appalachian Trail” forum I suspect the odds are better.

I lost my friend of 11 years yesterday, and words can not tell you how that makes me feel. I have been very fortunate to have some great dogs in my life, but Peter really was a great one.

It is not a coincidence that if you look at my last post here, it was to brag about how well behaved he was. He really was amazing, and I never took him for granted.

Some would say I “rescued” him off of the side of a highway when he was 6 weeks old all those years ago… the truth is that it is more accurate to say he rescued me.

He was not afraid of much. It is interesting that as I type this, there is a lightening storm flashing around me… one of his only fears. Knowing it can not scare him now is a comfort… now I am crying again. I want to tell the story….

He rode up to Mississippi with me this weekend to camp at Tishomingo State Park while I had some medical treatments. He loved to hike and camp and was a perfect companion. He had traveled on my small boat to the Bahamas and gone on many adventures… he carried his own pack and was the perfect traveler. People liked him, and even non-dog people commented on how well behaved he was. My general policy was that if I could not take him, I did not want to go. It was a policy that served me well and my only regrets are where I disregarded it.

We drove back and he was (as usual) content to sleep and look out the window. We got home in the evening and although we had been on the road all day we went for our normal 6.5 mile walk. He gets lots of time off leash on the walk, and chased rabbits as is his custom. We got home, and he finished off the bottom of a carton of cottage cheese for me (the last bite of sandwich, or whatever I was eating ALWAYS belonged to him).

We settled in for the night, and I slept soundly with him on watch as always. Yesterday morning though, he did not eat his breakfast and I noticed his stomach was swollen. I sensed something was wrong so we went to the vet.

Apparently he had a tumor that had been growing on his liver, and started to bleed. The vet did an x-ray, then and ultrasound and finally exploratory surgery to learn the liver was so full of blood there was no possible way to save my best friend.

He allowed my unusual request to come into the operating room and hold Peter’s head as they administered the medication to stop his heart so I could tell him one more time just what a good boy he was and how thankful I was to have had him in my life.

He was 11, and I really thought we had much more time. The vet had said less then a month earlier that he was in terrific shape. We walk almost 200 miles a month, and he has had excellent care and feeding sine he was a pup.

No matter if you are a man or a pup, life is short.

Hike more, Sail more, Live more, Love more, Laugh more... do not let it pass un-noticed or taken for granted... .

Please cherish every moment.

Peace and Love,

Craig and Peter Dog.

(Clich here to see more pictures of a truly wonderful dog).

My Ellie chasing crabs(; She loved the beach!

Craig,
    your post has me in a pool of tears. I am SO sorry for your loss. I am from Pensacola as well and saw your post on craigslist. I've been searching for a second dog, contemplating back and forth whether or not I should get a companion for my 5 yr old female american bulldog. The title of your post caught my eye and I clicked on the link and just started bawling. I can not even begin to imagine how I feel once my baby girl passes on. It makes me cry even thinking about it. I cannot imagine my life without her, she too has found me.. and you really gotta cherish every moment you have because in an instant it can all change. I lost my 18 year old cousin earlier this summer, the first time I've ever really lost someone close to me in my life, and ever since then I've learned to laugh a little more, spend a little more time, and enjoy the company of those you love the most because you really never know when that will be your last memory of them. I registered for an account on this forum just so I could reply back to this. RIP Peter Dog, you will be greatly missed. The lightning is definitely a sign from him. He is in a much better place and will still always be at your side, never forget that. <3

Still out sailing, not doing much hiking right now although I did some on the island of St. John in the US Virgin Islands.

Time has passed, but I think of Peter all the time. I read the following the other day, and thought of my friends here. Apologies if you have seen this, hope it serves as a reminder in keeping with the thread.

10 Things Your Dog Would Tell You....

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful: remember that before you get me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me- it is crucial to my well being.

4. Do not be angry at me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment.
    v
    5. You have your work, your entertainment,and your friends. I only have you.

6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understands your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me.

7. Be aware that how ever you treat me, I will never forget.

8. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily hurt you, but I choose not to bite you because I love you.

9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative,obstinate,or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I might not be getting the right food, or I have been out too long, or my heart is getting to old and weak.

10. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say: "I cannot bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there, even my death.

Remember that I love you.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

"Grandma, are you crying?"

"Yeah, Ed....it's just a sweet but very sad story."

The only problem with a good dog is that they live long enough for you to fall completely and totally in love with them, and then they leave you.

Ed with Holly.JPG 004.JPG

These are the two who currently have hold of my heart....(the kids too).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 03-21-2013 at 18:46.

Craig, so sorry to hear this, it is never easy to loose that which is so freely given...a dogs love. I wasn't around when you first posted this, but am glad I'm getting to see it now, it re-affirms something I too have felt over the years...yes, life is short. take care brother.

Dude, Just read post #32, now I got tears in my eye's, thanks for the reminder, it should be required reading of every perspective dog owner.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 03-21-2013 at 19:43.

Hi there.. Just wanted to reply to your post. It had been a year since we lost Ellie. I have missed her every single day. I hope you are well. Great to see a post from you(: April.

I am so sorry for you. It sounds like Peter and You were meant to be. Earlier today a friend had to take his "friend to the vet to be put "asleep". Peter was also very lucky to have you as a friend. For a dog You gave him the ultimate gift, running, hiking, chasing rabbits, sniffing stuff, peeing on things and the best thing you were and forever will be his best friend. What a lucky Dog and person!

This day is remembered and quietly kept,
    No words are needed, we shall never forget,
    For those we love don't go away,
    They walk beside us every day.
    Unseen and unheard, but always near,
    So loved, so missed, and so very dear.
    - author unknowns

Sailing Faith,

Reading your thread just now took my breath away. I am so sorry for your loss and I can relate to you on every level. I can hardly see through my tears as I write this as I lost my best friend too, only 3 short months ago. I did not want to go on my hike anymore much less get out of bed. I think of him every day.

My Rottie was 10 years old and was also hiking with me right up until the end as I prepared for this hike. He never met a stranger he didn't like. He was loved by all who knew him because he was such a great dog! He was fearless. He went everywhere with me....and I mean EVERYWHERE. If he wasn't welcomed, we didnt' go. People saw beyond the fact that he was a Rottweiler. I was so proud to be the one on the other end of the leash!

My boy too had cancer (of the spleen) and I had no idea. He was also bleeding internally, and I had no idea. When I brought him to the vet with what I thought was an upset stomach they called to say he was a very sick dog and would not survive. We rushed to be with him and he died in my arms. I will never forget the look in his eyes...or the air leaving his body as I held his head for the very last time and told him he was such a good boy. He wagged his nub and thought he was going home. What he didn't know is that he was about to die.

I am hoping for a lot of good things to come out of my hike. Healing is one of them. Your dog looked amazing and happy, just like mine did. I pray you will be able to look back one day at the life you both shared and the memories will bring you smiles and not tears. I am not there yet.

My boy Sonny Sonny3yrs3.jpg

With so much of the mundane, repetitive, and over analyzing of minutia this is some of the best I've been privledged with in a while. Really, thank you. It's obvious you shared a loving relationship with Peter. It's not always easy coming to terms when losing a love one. In Peter's eyes I see trust, love, caring, and and friendship he had for you. You shared nothing short of a connection between two lifelong friends. I can see the communication you enjoyed with Peter just from your picture of him.

Know this. You bring a lot of peace and sound advice to others with your comments and show the healing that is occurring in your own life by returning to the thread you started more than six months ago and sharing further. Hope this brings some perspective and further ealing in the departure of Peter - Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr Seuss

Remembering your Peter today! Good to hear from you SF.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++