WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Whistleblower at AMC

Was randomly browsing info about the Huts and saw this:

"Overall the AMC system seems pretty stellar. However, I worked at this hut about 7 or 8 years ago. As many may know, much of the AMC experience for 'croo' is based on old traditions, in the vein of the Ivy League. One tradition, apparantly unique to this hut, was to pocket the lodging fee of any hiker who paid cash; often from a tired and sometimes sick person who could not make it back down the mountain. Towards the end of the summer, the croo had well over 1K in cash to blow on drinks and dinner, myself included, during two 'croo days' which are spent together at the base; whatever happened to the remainder, I don't know. After the end of the summer, I followed up with a phone call and was told they were changing things. I sure hope they were right. I regret to be a whistleblower at such a late date, however we all know old traditions die hard, and I'm sure the AMC institution can handle it."

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Hampshire.html

Thoughts?
    Or is this type of thing old news?

Not surprising really. We paid full price, in cash, for a spot on the dining room floor at one of the huts. The temptation to pocket that money would be huge.

If it cost nearly $100 a night to stay there and you only pocketed over $1,000 for an entire summer you weren't very good at it. Sounds fishy.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    If it cost nearly $100 a night to stay there and you only pocketed over $1,000 for an entire summer you weren't very good at it. Sounds fishy.
    Or maybe they were really good at it. If you pocket every single cash transaction things are going to look fishy. This would be like one a week pocketed and that is few enough to kep the managers from asking questions.

Images

I can't imagine why anyone would pay to stay in a Hut. I just hiked the Whites from VT 4 to Pinkham Notch last month and saw no need whatsoever to stay in the huts - - I did pay $10 to stay in the Dungeon of the Lake of the Clouds Hut but certainly not a full fare - the rest was LNT stealth camping or $8 tent platforms, which is sensible.
    Putting this as respectably as possible, to me, it seemed like the Hut guests were mostly clueless about actual hiking and about actual life in the woods. They were more like people you see at a ski resort - totally dependent on artificial things constructed on a mountain (like ski lifts and warming huts) - - they sipped their mugs of hot chocolate and ate from their monster bags of gorp and had this look on their face like "wow, we're really roughing-it" - it seemed so hokey from the perspective of someone who actually walks long distances and gets things done on their own. I really don't care if someone takes these people's money - like PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It could also be not true. If this was going on you'd think you'd hear more than 1 report from someone years later.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would pay to stay in a Hut. I just hiked the Whites from VT 4 to Pinkham Notch last month and saw no need whatsoever to stay in the huts - - I did pay $10 to stay in the Dungeon of the Lake of the Clouds Hut but certainly not a full fare - the rest was LNT stealth camping or $8 tent platforms, which is sensible.
    Putting this as respectably as possible, to me, it seemed like the Hut guests were mostly clueless about actual hiking and about actual life in the woods. They were more like people you see at a ski resort - totally dependent on artificial things constructed on a mountain (like ski lifts and warming huts) - - they sipped their mugs of hot chocolate and ate from their monster bags of gorp and had this look on their face like "wow, we're really roughing-it" - it seemed so hokey from the perspective of someone who actually walks long distances and gets things done on their own. I really don't care if someone takes these people's money - like PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."
    +1 Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries
    Images

Papa D they lack your vision.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Lakes ,zealand falls,lonesome lake attract the most "tourists. they're just the most accessible.

Images

I can't imagine why anyone would pay to stay in a Hut. ... Putting this as respectably as possible, to me, it seemed like the Hut guests were mostly clueless about actual hiking and about actual life in the woods.
    Well, I've surely been put in my place. Just returned yesterday from almost two weeks of hiking the AT in New Hampshire, including staying as a paying guest in Galehead Hut and Lakes of the Clouds Hut, plus getting breakfast at Mizpah Spring Hut and lunch at Lonesome Lake and Zealand Falls Huts.

Other nights I stayed in the woods, on porches, in a motel, and such.

Just count me among the clueless about "actual" hiking and "actual" life in the woods.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I don't see how this reflects poorly on the AMC. Every organization has a few bad apples.

I agree that most of the people that staying at the AMC huts consider themselves to be "roughing it". And I also agree that the demographic probably has a healthy overlap with the winter ski resort crowd.

But they are not long distance hikers or backpackers, so why judge them in that light? They are not there to hike long distance or "accomplish anything on their own". Most of them are on vacation with their families and are basically paying to stay at a hotel located above treeline. They are there for the experience of being in the mountains and the huts rates are a lot cheaper than a hotel in Conway or Lincoln. From that perspective, the huts are a good deal.

The AMC huts were based on the European model in the French / Swiss Alps. A grand walking tour with huts located approximately a day's hike apart.

My son and I progressed from dayhikes to backpacking over the course of a few summers. Some car camping trips and some hut trips were a key element of that transition. It was a lot of fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Well, I've surely been put in my place. Just returned yesterday from almost two weeks of hiking the AT in New Hampshire, including staying as a paying guest in Galehead Hut and Lakes of the Clouds Hut, plus getting breakfast at Mizpah Spring Hut and lunch at Lonesome Lake and Zealand Falls Huts.

Other nights I stayed in the woods, on porches, in a motel, and such.

Just count me among the clueless about "actual" hiking and "actual" life in the woods.

Rain Man

With all due respect, the AMC caters to people like you. City etc. I am glad you enjoyed your time in NH. It is a nice place.

The huts have water, fine porches, and girls with wicked calves. For free...

Images

Isn't the saying... Hike Your Own Hike? For my friends, who are just realizing their interest in hiking...and are working their way up to backpacking...the huts are going to be a good thing next month. It will give me a chance to spend time on the trail with friends I have not seen in a long time. My friends and I are not what anyone would call rich (we managed to find spots for $68 a night in each hut because we planned ahead), we have opted to do OUR trip this way. Sure will leave us more time to just enjoy the trail.

Here is a new take on the "rich" people who are staying in huts. Rather than treat them with disdain, you might want to embrace the fact they even have an interest in hiking. If none of the "rich" people had an interest in hiking, would we have any trails left? If Little Ritchie Rich takes an interest in hiking, don't you think daddy is going to put some money (not just toward gear) into his son's interests? Hiking...backpacking...is a dying sport. The younger generations have fewer people interested. Without money, and interest in preservation, the trails will suffer.

To each their own. If it's not your way of hiking, that is fine. Why should it bother you? They are staying in the huts, and away from your tent platforms. They are not infringing on your right to hike the way you want to hike.

Oh... Not that you know me, but I do have many, many trail miles on my boots. I do consider myself a "real" hiker. Damn proud of it. Additionally, I am also smart enough to know that not every hike has to be done the same way.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Where someone stays... does it matter?

I thought the following was well known:

1. Rainman is indeed the kind of guy catered to by the AMC-like systems in New England, which is perfectly fine, just don't cross the Mississippi with that mentality please
    2. The AMC hut system is a rip-off for thru hikers, work for stay included. I suspect all the "heroes" of the AMC and AMC hut dwellers (Benton, Thoreau) would be disgusted by the AMC concept
    3. The AMC hut system is there to manage the sheer number of people (God help us if that particular thinking spreads south along the AT).
    4. The AMC should indeed be disbanded and replaced with a Smokey's Mountain concept...shelter system, first come first serve after reserved slots taken. NO special amenities to attract...well you know...
    5. If thru-hiking the Whites, stay away from the huts if possible (except to buy a snickers bar) and if you want to stay at one, quietly approach oen the the crew (croo is silly) and give him 20-40 dollars and say, can I stay inside after hours and help out as needed? They can use the cash to buy hipster glasses.
    6. In the Whites, you can drive to the highest, most dangerous (OooOoo) mountain on the AT...and then sit in a cafeteria. Don't get me wrong, that rocked. I ate a lot of food there at Pinkham Notch (after which I rode the lift, weeeee!)

All that said, on my thru hike, I found the AMC system ok and I stayed at Madison hut (slipped a guy some cash) and then I stayed at Carter Hut because the two people working it seemed cool and a hut dweller arrived whom I had met by chance in Vermont. Ya, the hut system seems very odd for me, I chalked it up to the sheer number of people in the area and the need to manage that, which is circular logic.

If you want to avoid privileged kids pocketing your cash, use a credit card.

Images

even in a 100 day season that's only $10 a day stolen by a GROUP? that could even be done at a tent pad site. not much money at all.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    even in a 100 day season that's only $10 a day stolen by a GROUP? that could even be done at a tent pad site. not much money at all.
    Are you saying that theft is ok, or not important, if it's just a little?

[XFLOAT][/XFLOAT]
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ....piont being

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    With all due respect, the AMC caters to people like you. City etc.
    Gee, did mudhead get his name because he likes to sling mud? That comment was not necessary.

I'm a quote unquote "real hiker" since you feel the need to classify people and I've hiked through the Whites twice. On my thru I did one work for stay and spent every other nite in my tent. On my return trip with my wife (who is also a backpacker) we spent every nite in a hut. Don't feel guilty about it either. Different trip, different experiences.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++