WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grafton Loop Trail, Maine

Alright, wak and I are on the Grafton Loop Trail Friday evening. Going up to Baldpate Lean to. Tough climb to start but figured we are going to be climbing and declining so much, it wont matter much. Im ready to get my a** handed to me and this trail promises some spectacular views and awesome wilderness!

Is the lean to at Baldpate absolutely no camping? Are there legal spots or is it being on private land a big no no for camping. How is the long section from Town Corner to Puzzle Mountain?

Images

i had lunch at baldpate when i did the loop ;last year, its stepp, but not bad did it in the rain(pics in the gallery),dont remember tenting but i seem to recall they had 3 or 4 platforms. in any event i camped the first night at the first site after baldpate(dont remeber the name) but you can get a lot of info on the grafton loop at matc.org.
    im freakin jealous. my ankles healed and i wish i was there.

Images

the eastern part is mostly rolling terrain, a few steeps here and there. the western half was a bit more difficult.

Images

yeah just click on http://matc.org/GraftonLoopTrail.htm.
    a lot of good info.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i had lunch at baldpate when i did the loop ;last year, its stepp, but not bad did it in the rain(pics in the gallery),dont remember tenting but i seem to recall they had 3 or 4 platforms. in any event i camped the first night at the first site after baldpate(dont remeber the name) but you can get a lot of info on the grafton loop at matc.org.
    im freakin jealous. my ankles healed and i wish i was there.
    Yea I like the brochure the MATC did for it. The websites are equally as nice.
    http://matc.org/GraftonLoopTrail.htm
    http://www.outdoors.org/conservation...fton/index.cfm

But the online map is awesome
    http://www.matc.org/Documents/Grafto...20Brochure.pdf

Images

another link from those devils at amc:http://www.outdoors.org/conservation...fton/index.cfm

Images

see you already found the amc link. great minds think alike, especially with performance enhancing substances.

Im thinking the best plan of attack is from northern 26 trailhead and over to Baldpate Lean-to. Seems they may have platforms but the high thru hiker rate may keep us off the platforms and may need to stealth somewhere. Just want to make sure I we could pitch somewhere if need be off trail. We are coming in late. My last client is done at 3:15 and we head 3 hours north across The Whites into Maine. Basically an hour further to Newry and 26 from where we were Sat and Sun. Puts us at the trailhead probably hiking by 7:00.
    Last edited by Chaco Taco; 08-28-2012 at 14:55.

Images

the summit is pretty bare, dont think youd have a problem stealthing if you dont mind rock.

We got to the lean to at 9pm friday night....4 Thru's thats it! Saw 3 people on the GLT

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Alright, wak and I are on the Grafton Loop Trail Friday evening. Going up to Baldpate Lean to. Tough climb to start but figured we are going to be climbing and declining so much, it wont matter much. Im ready to get my a** handed to me and this trail promises some spectacular views and awesome wilderness!

Is the lean to at Baldpate absolutely no camping? Are there legal spots or is it being on private land a big no no for camping. How is the long section from Town Corner to Puzzle Mountain?
    Sorry to be late responding. This is a busy season for me. But the leanto is on Maine Public Reserved lands, as is the entire Maine Mahoosuc ridge line. Camping is allowed on all public reserved lands, subject only to environmental restrictions. The last time I was at the shelter, there was a small camping area adjacent to the leanto. I doubt if that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Sorry to be late responding. This is a busy season for me. But the leanto is on Maine Public Reserved lands, as is the entire Maine Mahoosuc ridge line. Camping is allowed on all public reserved lands, subject only to environmental restrictions. The last time I was at the shelter, there was a small camping area adjacent to the leanto. I doubt if that has changed.
    Plenty of camping. The only issue we ended up having was the water issue. Its wet as hell up here but after the climb off of Long Mtn and just before the haul up to Stewarts Campsite there is no water sources. There is no water at Stewarts at all. The stream looks like its just dry. We had lots of rain. You have to haul water up that climb and its a mile and a half of gradual rooted and rocky uphill. Camping is very sparse

++ New Posts ++