WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Winter thru IMO means leaving Maine in say November and finishing in Georgia in march.

Anything short of that is not a winter thru IMO . As for 25 mile days in Georgia as I have read here, pretty much out of the question in winter, and virtually impossible in warm months. That's a tough stretch to consistently do 25's . This kid is attempting to do what thousands have done before him. The pursuit qualifies as not a winter hike nor even an unusual hike. Dozens will leave Maine after he does.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    Winter thru IMO means leaving Maine in say November and finishing in Georgia in march.

Anything short of that is not a winter thru IMO . As for 25 mile days in Georgia as I have read here, pretty much out of the question in winter, and virtually impossible in warm months. That's a tough stretch to consistently do 25's . This kid is attempting to do what thousands have done before him. The pursuit qualifies as not a winter hike nor even an unusual hike. Dozens will leave Maine after he does.
    takethisbread,

I would go a little farther on what is winter sense winter doesn't start until 21-Dec. Hiking Maine or New England is no joke but Aug time frame is not hard. Years ago

As for 25 miles in Georgia is not that hard. For years, every winter I would do a southbound hike from PA down south. A couple times to Georgia or VA/Tenn. Once you get going, you can make some good time in the southern portion.

Wolf

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

i'm not going to explain how easy it is to average 15 mile days, most folks that hike can easily figure that out.

25 mile days in the last 500 miles of a 2200 mile hike really isn't that difficult.

really? there's no winter in the south, heck 25 miles days in winter up here in the whites come pretty easy, and that's not at the end of a 2200 mile hike where they would come alot easier. up here one of the differences is we need snowshoes and a bit heavier boot that adds around 4 lbs per leg.
    anybody else?

Images

The first day of winter is dec 21st.... he says he wants to be done around feb 20th..... thats 2 months of winter MAX...... how is this considered a "winter " hike ???.......... if he started dec 21st i could see it, but this is just kind of dumb ........... MOST of people hiking SOBO leave from katahdin in july and aug... are they winter hikers too ????

Images

25 mile days with snowshoes and the south has no winter. who can respond to that?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    i'm not going to explain how easy it is to average 15 mile days, most folks that hike can easily figure that out.

25 mile days in the last 500 miles of a 2200 mile hike really isn't that difficult.

really? there's no winter in the south, heck 25 miles days in winter up here in the whites come pretty easy, and that's not at the end of a 2200 mile hike where they would come alot easier. up here one of the differences is we need snowshoes and a bit heavier boot that adds around 4 lbs per leg.
    anybody else?
    No winter in the south? The smokies get triple the snow of Boston. Blood Mtn probably the same as Boston. 25 mile days never come easy (if they did people would be hiking the thing in 90 days, whereas most do it in 5-6 months) on a thru hike on the at, except a few pockets of the trail. They happen I guess in Georgia but by a minuscule percentage of thru hikers and I have never met a thru hiker banging out 25's in the whites.
    To be honest I hike the at in the winter quite regularly and honestly the conditions from roan south are much more dicey than say Harpers Ferry to Bennington

Maybe I'm a pussycat.

This kid is def a pussycat calling this a winter hike.

Leaving jan 1 from Springer would be much harder cuz you'd get to NH with snow levels still significant in spots (may)
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Here's an old picture of "the family from the north" from when we were leaving Partnership shelter just a couple days after Christmas 01'. The Sisters are pictured as well. The sisters and I, along with 4 other thru hikers reached Springer on march 4th. About 4 days before the Family did. It took us that long due to heavy snow thru winter. 049.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Here's an old picture of "the family from the north" from when we were leaving Partnership shelter just a couple days after Christmas 01'. The Sisters are pictured as well. The sisters and I, along with 4 other thru hikers reached Springer on march 4th. About 4 days before the Family did. It took us that long due to heavy snow thru winter. 049.jpg
    Heald - Thanks for posting the photo! The family has huge grins - Just how I pictured them when I was reading Southbound!

Images

I have done many 30+ mile days in ga and nc in jan and feb so 25 miles for a thru hiker would be very straightforward for an in shape dedicated hiker. Can there be snow that an slow you down, sure. Is it commonplace, no, at least from my seven yrs that I hiked the ga AT when I lived there. And even in a ft or less of snow you can make big miles.

Starting in Aug is not a winter hike. He won't hit winter until he is well south and that is only if he s taking his time. There is a calendar year thru hike attempter that has finish the PCT and well on his his way on the CDT. He will hit the AT in Oct and has a much higher likely of hitting some crappy wether up north. The Cincinnati hiker is frankly a yawner of a story. I do hope he makes it thru and Hausa great time.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

The ATC does not recognize thru-hikes;
    John they sure do. The 2,000 Miler application asks if you hiked the AT as a thru hike or section hike. Look here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...plication-.pdf

The ATC also maintains statistics on thru hikes versus section hikes. Look here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/abou...il/2000-milers

They sure make thru hiker and section hiker recognition and distinction in the Noteworthy 2,000-Milers section.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    25 mile days with snowshoes and the south has no winter. who can respond to that?
    I'm too polite.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

no winter
    http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/30533

Winter
    Mid-November through February: Winter in the Smokies is generally moderate, but extremes in weather do occur, especially with an increase in elevation. It is not unusual to have warm temperatures in the low elevations and snow in the higher areas. About half the days in the winter have high temperatures of 50 degrees or more. Highs occasionally even reach the 70s. Most nights have lows at or below freezing. But lows of -20°F. are possible at high elevations. In the low elevations, snows of 1" or more occur 1-5 times a year. Snow falls more frequently in the higher mountains and up to two feet can fall during a storm. January and February are the months when one is most likely to find snow in the mountains.

Images

no winter;
    For Clingmans Dome (high elevation)

Month
    High
    Low
    Monthly Precipitation
    Monthly Snowfall
    Days of Precipitation
    Jan
    7.0"
    18"
    Feb
    8.2"
    20"
    March
    8.2"
    26"
    April
    6.5"
    5"
    May
    6.0"
    T
    June
    6.9"
    July
    8.3"
    Aug
    6.8"
    Sept
    5.1"
    T
    Oct
    5.4"
    2"
    Nov
    6.4"
    5"
    Dec
    7.3"
    8"

Images

yes winter;
    http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Ne...%20Washington/

heck it's 39 degrees on the summit of the rock pile this morning;
    Thursday, August 30, 2012
    5:06 AM
    Conditions at 5:06 AM
    Weather: Mostly clear
    Temperature: 39°F
    Wind: NW 40 mph
    Visibility: 100 miles
    Relative Humidity: 86%
    Station Pressure: 23.86" falling
    Ground Conditions: Dry

You guys are like the Monte Python bit about how much weight a pigeon could carry. This kid will be lucky if he makes it out of Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    John they sure do. The 2,000 Miler application asks if you hiked the AT as a thru hike or section hike. Look here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...plication-.pdf

The ATC also maintains statistics on thru hikes versus section hikes. Look here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/abou...il/2000-milers

They sure make thru hiker and section hiker recognition and distinction in the Noteworthy 2,000-Milers section.
    I know they use the term, "thru-hiker", but only in a very loose way, they don't use it in strict terms as some do here; instead they use the term 2,000 miler. as an all encompassing term.

Something is wrong with my computer and I can't open pdf doc now, which you linked above, so I couldn't read you first link. And I admit I've never seen a 2,000 miler certificate; I'm just going off their website, which they say they recognize all completed hikes with a 2,000 miler certificate. There is no thru-hiker certificate -- is there?

So my question, does the ATC have two separate certificates, i.e. one for thru-hikers and the other for everyone else?

As far as them asking how you completed the AT, I believe that is for their records/statistics that they maintain and what you linked in you second link.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

John - You are correct. The 2,000 Miler certificate does not mention thru hiker or section hiker. I have three of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Heald, I know this is off thread topic, but can you identify who is who in the picture for those of us who haven't seen any pics of these folks before? Much appreciated if you can.
    Thanks,Seatbelt.

Images

if was how much weight a "sparrow" can carry, just saying
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    I have three of them.
    You da man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++