WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Talking Who's done a yoyo of the LT?

I'm getting closer to my intended start date, and money is unfortunately getting very tight to be able to afford the trail (transportation to and from is the worst part).
    If I can't manage the trail this year, my preliminary plan is to reattempt next year with a better budget and try and spend much more time on-trail.

I was thinking of driving solo into Williamstown, finding a local business owner who doesn't mind a car in their lot with payment of a case of beer or two, then just doing a nobo and back yoyo of the trail. Brings my cost way down on transportation and I get a lot more time on trail enjoying myself.
    I was figuring on planning about 25 days for the nobo trip and 18 for the return. The next-year start date would probably be sometime in the first week of september, as I'd like to try and chase the fall colors south on the return sobo trip and I much prefer the cold.

My cold 3 season list is lightweight, about 8lb baseweight all told with maps, etc.
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9256

Who's done the LT yoyo? Any tips?
    Thanks!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have not done a yoyo but I did just complete a sobo e2e hike and had the same idea as you when I was hiking.

The LT is short enough to hike that way I think and resupply options are frequent enough to make that a non-issue.

So.... if you have more time than money or just want to be on the trail for a month it's a great idea. I also like the idea of starting in Williamstown because the tough part would be sandwiched in the middle of the hike instead of being on either end.

Journal Entries
    Images

Did one in 85. Might want a down layer. Have fun.

Look for Caveman of Ohio's posts on here. He's starting soon and from OH too. Maybe you can coordinate to save cash.
    "There are people who plan and people who do, I'm a doer."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Did one in 85. Might want a down layer. Have fun.
    I'd agree you should take either a down or fleece layer. Sept in VT can be cold, especially up on those mountain ridgelines.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I'd agree you should take either a down or fleece layer. Sept in VT can be cold, especially up on those mountain ridgelines.
    My current layers are baselayer capilene 2> patagonia sun hoody> arcteryx Atom LT hooded jacket and then a windshell

I'm considering removing the arcteryx jacket and getting a montbell ex light down jacket instead. I'd think that a light-mid baselayer + ex light + windshell should be very warm while active.

I could drop the patagonia sun hoody as well, but it's just really really comfortable.

I've yo-yo the LT twice. Once while thru-hiking the AT and the second time was by it self not including a small side trip to Hanover, NH. I traveled with a lighter backpack (15 pounds including 5 days of food and water). Past the AT the towns seem to be some distance away from the trail - would keep that in mind when your planning where you are going to resupply. I resupplied right by the AT/LT juntion and again in Jonetown). Completing the trail both ways in just under 3 weeks.

When it comes to getting the trail - I would suggest taking a bus. With todays gas prices driving up from OH does make to much sense. What you spend on gas is about the same as a bus ticket plus you don't have to worry about your car.

Wolf

++ New Posts ++