WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Charging an iPhone

Ok so I am looking at several devices to charge and add to battery life.

These r what I found so far:
    Eton frx3 radio
    aqua tek s case
    powerpot
    biolete stove
    various solar panels/batteries

So I figure the only way to keep a full charge is to take a multi angle approach so the radio has solar/hand crank the case has solar(the solar from these I doubt will do much but hey every little bit) they also have batteries the case will add to the battery life and the radio can charge the case/phone/case from its battery. The stove/pot may play into it not sure yet.

So I guess all I am wanting to know is am I mmissing anything and is there any gear like this I am missing or would be better than these?

Please don't rant about light and fast. I have a ul setup that is under 20 lb base weight and setup around 40lb base that I use alot more and a BOB that is more like 60-80lb never weighed it lol.

Images

I use this when I have to have a back up charge for my phone! I can usually keep my phone charged for 4-5 days! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Just leave the phone turned off unless you need to make an emergency call. You'll survive without being connected all day, every day.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I use this when I have to have a back up charge for my phone! I can usually keep my phone charged for 4-5 days! Maddog
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Thun...=trent+charger

Forgot the link! Duh! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I normally do survive without it... I was just wanting to play with it on the trail... Like gps mapping which really drains a battery and also try and do some video work... Granted its not the best device for either but it is a multifunction item.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    The Trent line is the way to go, no 2 ways about it.

That said, I just took my iPhone on my Long Trail hike and I kept a charge for 4 days by leaving it on airplane mode and only turning the cellular data on when I needed to make a call.

I just ordered: New Trent IMP500 $32
    http://www.newtrent.com/iphone-battery-imp500.html

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    I just ordered: New Trent IMP500 $32
    http://www.newtrent.com/iphone-battery-imp500.html
    They really work as advertised which is pretty amazing too...

Quote Originally Posted by Gnatx View Post
    I normally do survive without it... I was just wanting to play with it on the trail... Like gps mapping which really drains a battery and also try and do some video work... Granted its not the best device for either but it is a multifunction item.
    Just an FYI... my iPhone GPS doesn't work without a cell (or wi-fi) signal....

Motion x does I have used it u just have to download maps prior to hitting the trail.

In other words the gps can locate where u r but u can actively load a maps say from google

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

That said, I just took my iPhone on my Long Trail hike and I kept a charge for 4 days by leaving it on airplane mode and only turning the cellular data on when I needed to make a call.

How do you recharge the Trent line? USB to computer, USB to wall outlet, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    How do you recharge the Trent line? USB to computer, USB to wall outlet, or both?
    Both...

I got the one that'll charge an iphone 3.5 times. I was actually shocked that it did - I figured I'd be lucky to get 2 charges out of it.

Both...

I got the one that'll charge an iphone 3.5 times. I was actually shocked that it did - I figured I'd be lucky to get 2 charges out of it.
    +1 on the Trent chargers. I got the 5200 model, 4.2 oz., good for 3.5 charges. Assuming you resupply every 4-5 days, it's just enough to get to the next resupply point where you can charge both the phone and the charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a 4200 mAh battery that slips on the Iphone like a protector case. I got 7 full days of my kind of use checking the internet, phone, apps, ie out of it. the one thing I read about using these things is don't charge your phone more than 80 percent, that it takes more power to fill up that last 20% of the phone battery. so, I just charged every day from about 35% up to 80%. YMMV, HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I use a NewTrent IMP120D and it has to be charged from a wall socket. They have models that can be charged from a USB outlet, but they are of lesser capacity. I do wish I could charge mine from a USB connection, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

Here is a gadget that might be useful in recharging your iPhone:

Hamster powered generator.jpeg
    Of course, you would not have to bring a hamster along. Just use one of these (available at any shelter):

shelter mouse.jpeg

This gadget offers a good alternative:

aire-iphone-charging-mask.jpg

No kidding ...they really are working on this thing:

http://laughingsquid.com/aire-iphone...thing-into-it/

Also in development:

walk-charge-shoe-1.jpg

Now, if they could put this into a hiking shoe/boot...
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 05-13-2013 at 17:43.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

"I use a NewTrent IMP120D and it has to be charged from a wall socket."

I've found that a lot of batteries/devices that aren't sold with USB rechargers can actually be recharged from a USB wall charger, IF it's powerful, say 2.1 amps, and if you can find or kluge together the right connector.

You might want to look at a kickstarter project that is happening right now called limeade. USB battery that can supposedly recharge an iPhone 12 times

http://www.newtrent.com/store/iphone...e-battery.html

I got the EasyPak online at Amazon and a 'freebie' choice.

Put iPhone on Airplane Mode turn off all Notifications and most Location Services. You should be at a place to recharge phone and battery pack every few days.

REMEMBER that cold weather affects batteries ... keep your phone and battery pack protected from extremes of heat and cold.
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

I prefer the Anker Astro 5600mAh over the Trent charger. It has a larger capacity (5600 vs 5200), it's lighter (4.0oz vs 5.3), smaller and only costs $29 at Amazon.... plus it has a LED flashlight. I've had mine for well over a year without issue.

Also, the next size Trent battery is 9900mAh weighing 8 ounces. You can use 2 of the Ankers for 1120 mAh for the same weight.

http://www.amazon.com/External-Flashlight-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Lightning/dp/B005K7192G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370073644&sr=8-1&keywords=ankers+5600

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++