WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Thanks Jake, nice lookin' bag. My WM -35 Puma is good enough for me. I wont take it out till Thanksgiving!

I'll start LT NOBO a few days afterwards - on Sept 9. I have an original NF Blue Kazoo (2 lb 11 oz, known good to 15-20 *and* tested in the Alaskan wilderness ), and a Mt Hardwear Phantom 45 (16 oz). If I had a WM Highlight 35 I would take it, but I don't.

I'm leaning toward the Phantom with a liner. I'm a warm sleeper, and will be carrying outer clothing layers I can wear if I need to.

I know it will be colder at the end of September, but here (in Southern NH) we ran the air conditioning yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
    I'll start LT NOBO a few days afterwards - on Sept 9. I have an original NF Blue Kazoo (2 lb 11 oz, known good to 15-20 *and* tested in the Alaskan wilderness ), and a Mt Hardwear Phantom 45 (16 oz). If I had a WM Highlight 35 I would take it, but I don't.

I'm leaning toward the Phantom with a liner. I'm a warm sleeper, and will be carrying outer clothing layers I can wear if I need to.

I know it will be colder at the end of September, but here (in Southern NH) we ran the air conditioning yesterday.
    and it looks like some remnanst of Isaac coming your way by next week too.... I'd expect some showers up there by Tues-Wed. Then I hope it's sunshine baby!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    hey this is getting interesting, I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions.
    10-K, thanks for the weather/climate links.... L
    Lou, I hear ya....
    jake, that 4 lb. arctic sleeping bag looks like a winner! I'll take that one, and I found the perfect mattress and hiking partner to go too!

Hey, that guy looks like Rasty!

hehe car camping last weekend my gf and I had a queen size blow up mattress that just fits inside her 3 person tent we use car camping. It was awesome.

I do like the north face bag is labeled 3lb 16oz.. uhmmm 16oz in a pound there sneaky bastards

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    hehe car camping last weekend my gf and I had a queen size blow up mattress that just fits inside her 3 person tent we use car camping. It was awesome.

I do like the north face bag is labeled 3lb 16oz.. uhmmm 16oz in a pound there sneaky bastards
    My wife and I do the same thing................................got to make it fun and comfy!

oh she has a Big Agnes air core for backpacking but if we're camping literally right next to the car then why not go super comfy.

Yep. Well the GMC is saying (on their FB page) that water levels are low. So a little rain would be good.

Images

oh she has a Big Agnes air core for backpacking but if we're camping literally right next to the car then why not go super comfy.

Jake, we're seeing eye to eye on this one

Images

i have a similar outlook- "if youre camping right next to the car, why not just drive to a hotel?"

I was out on the AT this spring and spent a couple nights in the teens in my 40F bag. Was I comfortable, no, but I did get 6 hours of sleep each night. For the other 20 nights, I was fine. I think you would fare well with the lighter bag.

chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

Yea, the place we camp for climbing in NH is cheap and walking distance from the rocks. cheap, close, fire pits, picnic tables, water, river.

I was kidding around about the oversized air mattress and sportsbars... but seriously thanks to u guys for the suggestions here. Base on the input here, I'm taking the WM Highlite... should have enuff xtra clothing to be okay with it, I used it on an AT section hike near Roan Mtn in 2010 with nites in the 30s. If there's a major cold front in Sept, should be enuff advance warning so I can parachute into a trailtown and pickup a cheap fleece. I'm a bit like 10-K about not wanting to take a lot of "what if" gear or clothing, especially on a trail like the LT where there are so many road crossings and exit points if there's a problem. I'll post an after action report and let everyone know how it went.

Journal Entries

You'll be wet. I would def take a 20 degree bag or warmer, I was chilly in my 40 degree bag on the long trail in June .
    Rain suit and at least 3 pair of socks. Take your time and enjoy. I get the warmer bag because when you are wet, warmth is treasured and you always feel colder than it is outside.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

what did you wear in your sleeping bag that allowed you to get cold? accuweathers records say in Stowe the first 2 weeks of June were lows in mid 40s and second 2 weeks were mostly in the mid 50s or higher. wearing your layers to bed is a better use of weight than carrying a lower rated sleeping bag. hell you can get creative, if you are in a shelter you can lay your tent over your sleeping bag like a bivy/blanket.

as 10K said.. historical averages for sept are lows right at 40.. a 35 deg bag with layers on will be plenty.

not sure why you'd need more than 2 hiking pairs and 1 sleeping pair of socks.. can only wear one pair at a time. i used a safety pin to attach the pair i wasnt wearing to the outside of my pack to dry out.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

He's hiking in September.....

There are 2 approaches:

1. Take a warmer bag than you think you need and carry the extra weight.
    2. Take a bag with a higher temp rating, carry less weight and risk getting cold.

Neither is right or wrong. But, if you choose #1 you're committed to carrying extra weight. If you choose #2 based on past weather data and the long range temperature forecast you're very likely to carry less weight and still be warm.

I'm a #2 guy.

A word of caution to using historical highs to base your gear selection. Know the locations you use for your data, higher elevations are normally 2.7 degrees F cooler per 1000 feet of elevation (sometimes more, sometimes less). Stay at Cooper Lodge (3900') and get highs from Rutland (500') and you will be off 10F or so.

Also, here is a NOAA link for mountain forecasts of NW New England:
    http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/point/

chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

Images

6 ounces? I don't know if I could feel 6 ounces in my hand, let alone my back lol

Take the warmer bag and be safe...and stop gram counting lol

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    6 ounces? I don't know if I could feel 6 ounces in my hand, let alone my back lol

Take the warmer bag and be safe...and stop gram counting lol
    That's exactly how getting a 30# pack starts....

less than 3 things weighing 6oz is a pound... you can feel a pound in your hand can't ya?

i do smile inside watching people do all kinds of conflagrations and contortions to get their big ass packs on while I throw mine over my shoulder.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++