WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Vermont Sept-2012 weather ?

I'm starting nobo e2e from Williamstown next Wed, 9/5. Weather, weather, how cold will it get in Sept-2012? .... given this has been a very warm summer and August on the east coast ... when will the 20s or colder come to VT this year?

I've looked at the historical VT temp highs/lows for Sept. Looks like lows have been in the 40s lately, mostly in the 50s up there.
    Final gear decision on this hike is which bag to take:

a. Marmot Hydrogen 30 deg down, wt ~ 1 lb 9 oz
    b. WM Highlite 35 deg down, wt ~ 16 oz
    c. Montbell Spiral Down Hugger #1, 15 deg, wt ~ 2 lb 2 oz

what would the experts recommend?

tia

Images

Why risk being cold for a few ozs? Take the warm one, it is the Green Mountains, it will rain at some point. past Killington gets different weather than the south.
    Last edited by coach lou; 08-31-2012 at 14:04.

It's been pretty brisk for late August, in the high 40's in the valleys overnight this past week. I'll bet you get some frost by the time you get north of Rt 4. Ultimately, it depends on how and where (shelter or tent) you sleep and what you are willing to wear in your sleeping bag.

Cosmo

Images

I'd take the Marmot
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Since your from Florida, I'd error on the warm side

Chances are good it will stay somewhat warmer than usual, but up north towards the end of September, you will wake up to frost on the ground. I had some pretty chilly mornings in southern Vermont last week.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I'd take the Marmot
    yeah that's the one I'm most inclined to use. But I'm still toying with the idea of trying to get by with the Highlite, save 6 oz. pack weight. I'd bet a Snickers bar that north of Rt-4, there will be frost at nite.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'll give you a vote for the Highlite. The 35* rating on the Highlite is probably pretty accurate...

Are you taking a jacket and cap or base layers you can wear if you need to supplement the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'll give you a vote for the Highlite. The 35* rating on the Highlite is probably pretty accurate...

Are you taking a jacket and cap or base layers you can wear if you need to supplement the bag?
    yeah I'm taking Capilene-2 base layers, and also have a Mont-bell UL Thermawrap jacket and fleece cap. If it was October, I'd definitely take the Marmot bag, but being September, maybe the Highlite will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    yeah I'm taking Capilene-2 base layers, and also have a Mont-bell UL Thermawrap jacket and fleece cap. If it was October, I'd definitely take the Marmot bag, but being September, maybe the Highlite will do fine.
    You can play around with historical temps here: http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Here's a 10 day forecast for North Troy: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...rth+troy%2C+vt

The next 30 days in VT temps are "supposed" to be above average: http://www.intellicast.com/National/...parture30.aspx

Images

[QUOTE=coach lou;1331912]Why risk being cold for a few ozs? QUOTE]

Could someone help me understand why you would want to risk your health , safety and comfort to save a few ozs on a piece of gear you spend more than a third of your time in? It has baffled me for the year I've been on this site. In the 48 years I've been hiking and camping, that is the #1 piece of gear that I do not skimp on. An I grew up in New England. The coldest nite I ever spent was trying to go UL, on the LT in JULY!

[QUOTE=coach lou;1332191]
    Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Why risk being cold for a few ozs? QUOTE]

Could someone help me understand why you would want to risk your health , safety and comfort to save a few ozs on a piece of gear you spend more than a third of your time in? It has baffled me for the year I've been on this site. In the 48 years I've been hiking and camping, that is the #1 piece of gear that I do not skimp on. An I grew up in New England. The coldest nite I ever spent was trying to go UL, on the LT in JULY!
    He's not risking his health. I think that is a gross overstatement when you're talking about the difference between a 30* bag vs 35* bag. (I am assuming we both agree his 15* bag isn't necessary)

A 35* WM bag has a true temperature rating. The man has a coat and base layers. The record low for Vermont in September is in the mid 20's and the 30 day forecast is showing above average temps for the next 30 days.

Based on this info, he'll be just fine with a 35* bag. Even with the absolute nightmare, hellish scenario you can dream up for September he's not going to freeze to death and there are road crossings every day where he can get off the trail if necessary.

But, I would never argue with you if you wanted to take a warmer bag.... HYOH - he just asked for opinions.

[QUOTE=coach lou;1332191]
    Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Why risk being cold for a few ozs? QUOTE]

And I carried a 50 degree quilt end of July and into August and was fine... what is your point? I agree with 10K that with other layers available he'll be fine. Hell half of the shelters up north are fully enclosed. And with some creative ground sheet/ tent hanging you can close off the front of many of the 3 sided shelters to keep the wind out.

Images

He isn't going in July or August and he ain't 32

But you said your coldest night was in July so... who cares?

what does my age have to do with anything? i weight 120lbs and am 5'8" so i'm not too insulated. at night I wear a thin pair of socks, hiking pants, icebreaker 200 merino shirt. if it gets too cold for that I add my helmet liner hat, smartwool sweater or down puffy. my pad has an Rvalue of 0..

so are you suggesting the 30 degree or the 15 degree? 30.. fine 6oz 15 deg is overkill

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    But you said your coldest night was in July so... who cares?

what does my age have to do with anything? i weight 120lbs and am 5'8" so i'm not too insulated. at night I wear a thin pair of socks, hiking pants, icebreaker 200 merino shirt. if it gets too cold for that I add my helmet liner hat, smartwool sweater or down puffy. my pad has an Rvalue of 0..

so are you suggesting the 30 degree or the 15 degree? 30.. fine 6oz 15 deg is overkill
    That nite in july I had just a ground cloth and blanket...........It rained for three days, in 1985. So now I don't ever skimp on my gear, 6 ozs is not worth a cold nite. IMO.

He's not going into the Alaskan wilderness ya'll....

I know I sound like a broken record but there is no indication that he needs more than a 35* bag.....

Or let me put it another way....

I'm going on a hike in an area where the record low since records have been kept in the area I'll be hiking is 20*. The 10 day forecast for the northern most part of the trail, which is typically the coldest section, show highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 40's. In addition to this information, the 30 day outlook is for temperatures to be above the normal average. I'm carrying cap 2 base layers, a Montbell Thermawrap coat and a fleece cap.

Why would I ever need more than a 35* bag? In case it got down to what.....?

What it boils down to is personal opinion. I would not take more than a 35* bag under these conditions because I really don't like to carry a lot of "what if" gear if there is no indication that it might even be remotely necessary.

If someone else is more cautious and wants to take a warmer bag that's fine - no harm, no foul.

The "Well, we might need this...." syndrome is something I try hard to avoid.

Now that's funny... Don't forget this. http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&...r:1,s:18,i:155

Coach, I hear what you're saying. I think I (and Jake probably) just assess things differently than yourself. The friction is when either you or I think we do it the "right way". Either way is fine as long as you're ok with the weight and I'm ok with the chance I might get cold.

hey this is getting interesting, I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions.
    10-K, thanks for the weather/climate links.... L
    Lou, I hear ya....
    jake, that 4 lb. arctic sleeping bag looks like a winner! I'll take that one, and I found the perfect mattress and hiking partner to go too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++