WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default To all the hikers that drink alcohol while on the trail......

Lately I've noticed among some of the topics that many of you believe it is adamantly necessary to drink alcohol when at a town stop. If others are going you join them, or you make it a point that if there is nothing else to do to go to the nearest bar, lounge or get something at a store. It's been stated by more than several people that they drink for hours and excessively when in town.
    That was and still will not be part of any long trail hike for me. When I did the AT in 1992, there was perhaps 2 people out of all those that I met that did regular visits to the town bars and not many joined them. In fact it was looked down on, but since there wasn't too many doing it, the majority just looked the other way.
    On the PCT/CDT and other trails, alcohol on the trail was non-existent. Off the trail it was casual, like many 1 beer every 3rd or 4th town stop. I do drink, it's just not on my list of things to do when I get to town.
    So, if you plan to do a long trail any time in the next 4-6 years, remind me to steer clear of you because I can think of better ways to spend my money in town.
    As for the non-drinkers out there, or those that simply don't drink when you get to town, looking forward to meeting you on the trail!

Journal Entries

Have you ever stopped at a convenience store on the way home from work, say around 5 pm?
    A significant portion of the population stops and buys 6pack or half case, every day on their way home. Some small stores exist primarily on beer sales.

When I worked for Marathon Petroleum in the late 80s, Marathon operated Speedway foodstores.
    They made more money selling beer and cigarettes, than gasoline. They were not primarily an oil company, they were primarily a beer and cigarette retailer.
    That is unfortunately many peoples daily way of life.
    No reason to expect the AT to be lacking in such folks.

Images

When I'm on the trail, I don't drink, except a little pick me up in the morning, and a little glass of wine with lunch, and, of course, a little wine with dinner, and then the obligatory shot or three of liquor at the campsite - aside from that, I don't drink a drop and agree with you. :-) burp.

Different Socks is trolling. Get with it, moderators.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    When I'm on the trail, I don't drink, except a little pick me up in the morning, and a little glass of wine with lunch, and, of course, a little wine with dinner, and then the obligatory shot or three of liquor at the campsite - aside from that, I don't drink a drop and agree with you. :-) burp.
    I'm kidding, of course. When I'm in a town, I might have a couple - aside from that, I'm sober as a judge - - it's a weird post though - - I drink a little but only want to associate with non-drinkers - so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Lately I've noticed among some of the topics that many of you believe it is adamantly necessary to drink alcohol when at a town stop. If others are going you join them, or you make it a point that if there is nothing else to do to go to the nearest bar, lounge or get something at a store. It's been stated by more than several people that they drink for hours and excessively when in town.
    That was and still will not be part of any long trail hike for me. When I did the AT in 1992, there was perhaps 2 people out of all those that I met that did regular visits to the town bars and not many joined them. In fact it was looked down on, but since there wasn't too many doing it, the majority just looked the other way.
    On the PCT/CDT and other trails, alcohol on the trail was non-existent. Off the trail it was casual, like many 1 beer every 3rd or 4th town stop. I do drink, it's just not on my list of things to do when I get to town.
    So, if you plan to do a long trail any time in the next 4-6 years, remind me to steer clear of you because I can think of better ways to spend my money in town.
    As for the non-drinkers out there, or those that simply don't drink when you get to town, looking forward to meeting you on the trail!
    I call bulls***. Dude do you know how this post makes you sound?

Images

haven't had a drink in 8 months (health), but don't look for me. i don't think i would look forward to meeting you. i little too judgmental for me.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Lighten up man. I agree there is a stupidly alcoholic party crowd who just need a giant intervention, but there are many shades of grey out there too. There are a lot of people that you can exclude from your experience by taking such a hard opinion like this. You never know, you could be missing out on some good friends with this strict approach.

you drunk postin'? i used to do that

Different Socks, this is a non-issue, everyone knows global warming is causing a major beer shortage.

Warning: World-Wide Beer Crisis
    Rising Temps May Lead to Beer Shortage

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...#ixzz25MpHjhZW

Images

I've read a bunch of DS's posts - DS is ok - this one is half baked - it's a foul ball - not a strike-out yet

Images

John....easy with the GW language, I've found it to be taboo here

Images

Drinking alcohol may be a good way to purify the water.
    Simple is good.

Images

good social skills are often necessary when interacting with humans both off and on the trail
    Last edited by hikerboy57; 09-03-2012 at 08:54.

Bud.....wieser!

I work at restaurants and it amazes me how much some can drink. 8 double Dewars on the rocks and act normal. If I drank two I would be ready to fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I work at restaurants and it amazes me how much some can drink. 8 double Dewars on the rocks and act normal. If I drank two I would be ready to fall asleep.
    Yea in Wilmington, folks can out em down, My pops lives there

Default LMAO... You will too...

Dude, that's a little harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck:1332789
    Dude, that's a little harsh
    Brand new ex drinker?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++