WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

This subject comes up once in awhile so figured I'd throw in my two cents... When not hiking barefoot, I use my Fivefingers exclusively. Mine are the KSO model which has the classic sole. As others have mentioned it tends to be slippery in wet conditions but you adjust. I think the flexibility gained far outweighs any negatives.
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

Images

I, too, have been wearing Vibram Five Fingers for a couple of years now. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for others, so you just have to try different methods to see for yourself. I found that wearing my Five Fingers (I hike in Treksports as well as the Spyridons, which offer a bit more protection for the footbeds) for heavier mileage had a tendency to make my feet very sore the next day. Day hikes - no problem - longer hikes - problem. For my 2013 thru-hike, I will bring a pair of Five Fingers as camp shoes as well as hiking in them occasionally and only for shorter mileage. As others have voiced, probably your boots are not fitting right if you are getting blisters on your heels. When I wear trail running shoes (I don't wear boots - too heavy), I wear Injini toe socks as liners and since I started using them, I have never had a blister. If you decide to hike in Five Fingers - work up to it, wear them for a few hours a day to build your muscles. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++