WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Too much drama!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulungu View Post
    Hello all you old timers. From someone new at the forum,
    i enjoy the argie Barrgie of good robust discussion, often very funny when taken with a pinch of salt and a glass of good wine.

Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail.

Hope to have lots of good robust discussion and perhaps some disagreements but also lots of laughs and make up coffees or wines.
    I dont know what would happen if there was a disagreement on the trail...never had one...never saw one...I have poor hearing so maybe I just didn't know when they happening. I bet these cyber bad boys are all cup cakes when they have thier boots on and a pack on thier backs. 20 miles of mountains will mellow anyone out.

i enjoy the argie Barrgie of good robust discussion, often very funny when taken with a pinch of salt and a glass of good wine.

Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail.

Hope to have lots of good robust discussion and perhaps some disagreements but also lots of laughs and make up coffees or wines.
    On the trail, he only hiker I regularly get into disagreements with is my husband.
    But we've been married for more than 20 years, so he should know he's generally wrong by now
    Seriously - most people are too involved in the mental and physical activity of hiking, camping, etc. to have much energy left over for petty conflicts. A few days on the trail and a lot of issues tend to diminish in importance. Those that don't, you find a way to keep it out of your hike.

If you don't have a gun, 2 conversations to avoid in shelters, politics and religion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    It's true that a lot of the more experienced hikers that I learned over the past years have moved on but I don't think it's just because of the way the membership has gotten more combative/rude.

More than a few moved on because they felt the site was too heavily moderated.

But I think that over the course of time you can only bear to answer "How much does it cost to thru?", "What's the best tent?", etc. questions so many hundreds of time.
    This.

...and the fact you have to type ten freaking characters when a perfectly good four letter word captured the exact thought you were trying to express. And made this post thirty-nine words longer than it needed to be.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    If you don't have a gun, 2 conversations to avoid in shelters, politics and religion.
    I'll confess...these are two topics you definitely dont want to get me started on....and I never bring them up.

Images

most of the time conversation runs to where you looking to stop tomorrow?max bald. yeah me too.ill see you in the morning.yeah me too.too tired to argue.somebody ever brings up politics or religion, i just walk away watch the sun set or something.

[QUOTE=pyroman53;1334367

CHRONIC POSTER: they appear to live on WB. They often have considerable knowledge and wisdom but they seem to spend more time arguing about semantics, misinterpreted intent, and the color of the sky in Georgia. They seldom lack an opinion on any topic yet are quick to point out to newbies how tired they are by having to continually express these opinions. It appears that post-count is equated with social status and building that post count is equated with real work or exercise[/QUOTE]

Images

Keyboard Commando-Someone who acts tough behind a keyboard online, but can't say the same things in real life.

I used to think I liked to hang out with guys cause there's less drama. Humm.... it's hard to tell who's who on here sometimes & I'm 2 lazy to investigate. I think I'm going to rethink that one.

I've also been wondering how many yankees post on here as compared to the southerners. I think southerners are less dramic than yankee's. How about those mid-westerners and west coasters? I'm a yankee who lives in the south. I'm loving it!! I will add the south seems to have more dramic people on the trail than up north, maybe. That why we stay vigilent in the south... Come on down....

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

In my experience, that's only happened with over-agressive proselytizers, in which case I just move on. Most of us can manage to get along with almost anyone for one night.

Images

at least on the trail you know your disagreeing with a real hiker
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

The reality on the trail is we are all hikers doing what we enjoy. Out there to relax. I've seen some interesting conversations, but nothing ever really argumentative. Just each person making his point & in a fun, interesting way. More often it hikers helping each other out. Best parts of the last town they hit, Expectation for next day/town , joke, funny stories,...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    My son went to a Catholic High School, he had a 5 handicap. The golf coach wouldn't take him 'cause he can throw his clubs farther than the kid that threw the Javlin!
    Tried to get my wife to play.
    2nd time she came out I made one of my once a year club throws in frustration at a suddenly developed hook.
    She never came out with me again.

Images

Someone's tent gets p#####d on later in the night.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Someone's tent gets p#####d on later in the night.
    Just joking. But seriously, never seen it here at least. Have seen people deliberately change plans to avoid others but no problems.
    Day trippers maybe, but not hikers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    While not all-inlcusive, many WBers seem to fall into one or more of the following roles:

WISE VETERAN: they share their experiences and knowledge, offer thoughtfull advice, maybe pick up a few new tricks, and generally pay it forward for all the help they received in the past.

NEWBY: hungry for knowledge, advice, and help as they navigate through all the collective wisdom and knowledge contained on this site. Occasionally stumble into hot-button topics that get our next role-player riled up and become confused by some of the reactions their posts receive. For them, WB is a fantastic resource and they are excited to have located it.

CHRONIC POSTER: they appear to live on WB. They often have considerable knowledge and wisdom but they seem to spend more time arguing about semantics, misinterpreted intent, and the color of the sky in Georgia. They seldom lack an opinion on any topic yet are quick to point out to newbies how tired they are by having to continually express these opinions. It appears that post-count is equated with social status and building that post count is equated with real work or exercise.

QUIET MAJORITY: has some knowledge to share and does so positively. Occasionally posts a question and is sincerely looking for real answers. May visit sporadically or often but either way they love visiting WB and sharing, learning, and talking about backpacking and the AT. Enjoys a good laugh with the rest of us, but quickly gets bored as serious threads decay into sophomoric dribble.

We can all choose who we will be on WB. There's room for us all.
    another category ...

MORON: me
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    at least on the trail you know your disagreeing with a real hiker

+1

I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I really like this site and am glad I discovered it. Whatever info you need, it's on here somewhere. I like the people, all of you. Folks looking to venture into the woods for the first time, folks with tens of thousands of hiking miles behind them, folks with common sense, wisdom, intellect, it's all here.

I like the information posts, the stories, the sense of friendship and community, and even the drama. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the mods to keep some degree of balance, but I think they do a good job.

My Dad was a plain man. A truck driver and crane operator. One of the most remarkable things I remember about him is that everything he said or did showed respect. He responded to me with "yes sir" or "no sir". He responded to strangers the same. I remember that response directed to little children. He was southern so for ladies, yes, it was "mam". He often told my Brother and I that every person is valuable and the good in them can be seen if you look hard enough in the right place. Two years ago, after a long illness, he passed away quietly in his sleep. I learned far too little from him.

If I ever fail to demonstrate respect and appreciation here, or on the trail, or in town please bring it to my attention so that I may address it.

I enjoy everyone here and value the wisdom, knowledge, and plain association with people who enjoy walking in the woods like I do. If I don't agree with you, I still respect your knowledge, experience, and wisdom.

Rasty, You're quite a guy for posting your statement. OzJacko, I really liked the statement about lubricating! How true. There have been a lot of good posts on this thread. It may help change some of our outlooks. In any case, thank all of you for your posts, they provide me with information, ideas, and entertainment and none of this even costs me a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I used to think I liked to hang out with guys cause there's less drama. Humm.... it's hard to tell who's who on here sometimes & I'm 2 lazy to investigate. I think I'm going to rethink that one.

I've also been wondering how many yankees post on here as compared to the southerners. I think southerners are less dramic than yankee's. How about those mid-westerners and west coasters? I'm a yankee who lives in the south. I'm loving it!! I will add the south seems to have more dramic people on the trail than up north, maybe. That why we stay vigilent in the south... Come on down....
    Is dramic the masculine form of drama?

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    Is dramic the masculine form of drama?
    Why yes, I think you may be right. I didn't use that form of that word on purpose but, YES!!- Girls could be drama QUEENS and guys dramatic(not in a good way) KINGS. You knew what my typo meant, right?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++