WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Around and about...

Default Where to leave the car...Fontana to Clingman's Dome Section

Doing the section from Fontana to Clingman's Dome NB...got the reservation...

Now where to leave the car(s)....

Here are the options that I know about:
    Two Car Option:
    (a) one car at Cherokee and the other at Fontana,
    That way,shuttle from Clingman's/Newfound Gap to Cherokee (this could be hitch or even use the cheep shuttle down - one runs between Gat. and Cherokee mulitple times a day) and then can pick up the other car on the way back...

One Car Option:
    (a)leave the car at Fontana and then have to risk the shuttle down and all the way around to Fontana on MON...could make for a late night shuttle around...
    (b) leave the car at Cherokee, then shuttle around to Fontana...still have to shuttle/hitch down from Clingman's Dome/Newfound Gap down to the car...

I'm thinking the two car approach seems to lesson the dependence on the shuttle person a bit...and could leave later on SAT...

What do folks suggest...Thanks for any insights...Who are the suggest shuttles for that neck of the woods...

We did this hike last Oct and left a car in the Clingman's dome lot and one at the visitor center by the dam, had no issues other than the long drive between locations. When are you going? We have a small group scheduled to make that hike on 10/5.

Images

I generally park right by where the AT starts on the other side of the dam.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Slowest Hiker On Earth

If it were me I would leave the car at Clingman's and get a shuttle to Fontana.
    When are you going?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I always want to have a vehical waiting for me where I come out. That way, I'm not dependant on anyone else when my hike is over nor to I have to worry about keeping to some schedule

You can do anything that you believe you can!
    Images

I'm leaving in 2 days to do this very section (Fontana to Newfound). I'm parking at Newfound Gap and getting a shuttle back to the Dam. I'm with HooKooDooKu in saying I always like to have me car waiting for me at the end. I can just jump in and start the 9 hour drive home

When are you going?

Bill "Grywolf" Johnson will be doing my shuttle for me. 828-507-5747 or 828-293-1350.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For shuttle services, I've used Erik and Vesna @ www.awalkinthewoods.com I have no idea what the cost for a trip to Fontana costs, but based on thier facebook page, they apparently do shuttles out to there. They have a page on their web site where you can request a quote.

We've also used AAA Hiker Services (865-322-0691, I've actually got a booking with them comming up soon). Their web site isn't impressive (doesn't look like it's been updated in years... some links have been marked as "under construction" for over 5 years), but they've alwasy come through when I've wanted an early morning (like 6:00am) shuttle. They mostly operate out of the Cosby area, so I don't know their rates for a trip all the way to Fontana. But rates around Gatlinburg and New Found Gap have always seemed quite reasonable. The guy that does these early morning shuttles for us is really knowledgable about the area and always has interesting stories to tell during the ride.

++ New Posts ++