WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Quick Tips for Lightning Safety!

I know there are probably lots of threads on this already, but I don't have much time to browse today and I'm leaving tomorrow for an overnight trip on the Long Trail. There may be a chance of thunder storms which makes me nervous, so I'm posting this thread to see what you wonderful people can offer for advice. I'm talking, as soon as a lightning storm is detected, what should one do to protect themselves when away from shelter? Really anything that will lessen the danger is appreciated. Thanks!

Garlic
    Images

Danger from ground currents may be greater than from direct strikes. To minimize that, try to keep a single point of contact with ground so current will not flow through your body core. That means stop walking and do not lie down. Do not take shelter in shallow caves or overhangs--ground current may arc across.

Avoid direct strikes by not seeking shelter near the tallest tree around. Best is in a generally low area or in heavy tree cover of uniform height.

If I'm caught above treeline, I feel safe on a slope considerably below a ridge, under my tarp and sitting, feet in, on a dry insulating foam pad. I'll pitch the tarp and have something to eat while the storm blows over.

If you're in a party, spread out so others can render aid if one person is struck.

Just some quick ones. You should be able to find something better on line.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Just keep walking man. The odds are tiny. I wouldn't go above treeline or anything like that, but hopefully that is common sense.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Her are a couple of links to some of the more recent lightning discussions on the site. Hope it helps.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?200

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...882-Lightening
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just read an excellent book regarding the power of lightning. I loved it so much I sent my copy to my friend in OR and bought a NEW copy to ship to my cousin in WY. [yes, it is standard for me to get rid of books as soon as I've read them once - if they were okay I donate to the local public library; if they were AWESOME, I force friends/family to read them].

Shattered Air
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

Thanks for the responses everyone, the trip went as planned and the lightning ended up holding off so we didn't have to worry about it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone, the trip went as planned and the lightning ended up holding off so we didn't have to worry about it.

Glad to hear it! Connecticut and Massachusetts got hammered by storms on and off yesterday, so I'm glad you were far enough north to avoid it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Glad to hear it! Connecticut and Massachusetts got hammered by storms on and off yesterday, so I'm glad you were far enough north to avoid it.
    We got lots of rain but no lightning and not until after we got to the shelter. The most dangerous part about the trip was the fallen tree we heard come crashing down next to the shelter in the middle of the night

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    To minimize that, try to keep a single point of contact with ground so current will not flow through your body core. That means stop walking and do not lie down.
    To be precise, crouch down, put your feet so they are touching each other (minimizes the potential difference for the ground current) and curl the rest of yourself up into a ball. Your feet should be the only thing touching the ground; if you can stand it (particularly if your hair stands on end or you have some other sensation of a building electrical field), crouch on tippitoes.

If you have hiking poles, throw them as far away from you as you can.

The other problem with being near trees, besides the fact that they attract the lightning in the first place, is that they often explode when they're hit, so you now have shrapnel to go along with the possibility of being shocked.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

++ New Posts ++