WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sierra Trading Post has sale.....need input before I buy boots

In the "what is best boots for trail" threads, unless I missed it, Danner boots were not mentioned. they are made in USA, and I want to try them, however have sensitive feet. My footwear of choice are Salomons and Merrells, when they are on sale. Need input on Danners while they are on sale, today only. Thanks for your patience, I find that if my feet are happy, I can laugh about the rest of my gear and mistakes.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My perception, not based on personal ownership or review, is that Danner boots are relatively heavy and overbuilt given the needs of the AT. If you've been happy with Salomon and Merrell, then I would point you to Montrail or Inov-8 before Danner, but I might consider them if you're looking for something more bombproof. Regardless, I wouldn't choose to buy a pair of boots on-line if I had "sensitive feet" and couldn't return them without additional postage.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Have a pair I never wear, hurt my feet, just sitting in them the balls of my feet seem to heat up and burn. I wore them in a winter hike with wet snow falling, after about six miles I had water slaushing in the shoes, and they were Gortex, almost like there was a hydraulic action sucking the water in. Sent them back and had them replaced but I never wear them.

I don't wear boots often, but the only ones I find comfortable are Danner's. They're built very, very well and will last a very, very long time. I wear my RAT boots mostly in muddy and/or colder weather.

Thanks for the replies, and yall are right. I let the low price affect me, and cloud my judgement. Also Scree, I haven't put them completely out of my mind, I'll visit an outfitter to try them on.

I have had two pair of Mountain Light II's and have been very satisfied. However, I am a rock kicker here in the Rockies and the leather on the toe is soft and gets cut away (did put shoe goo on the toe to stop damage but it looks pretty funny). Next time I will try the Talus which is cheaper and has a protective toe rand.

Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    In the "what is best boots for trail" threads, unless I missed it, Danner boots were not mentioned.
    Unless you have foot issues or are determined to carry too much weight the best boots these days aren't boots they're trail runners.

That said because of a foot injury I've switched to wearing boots all the time. I've been wearing a pair of Danner boots this summer and the soles are already wearing out. My Merrill Moabs trail runners outlasted them. Other than the low mileage I've liked them just fine.

++ New Posts ++