WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The A.T. was born in N.J.!

The plan for the A.T. some claim started in New Jersey:http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d..._plan_for.html

Images

makes sense. most in NJ just dream of ways to get out of here.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    And some of us did - in my case, 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Well, you are getting out of NJ in a lil while...it might be a snowy welcome, for you, in the South but that could be fun.
    You might get snowbound & not be able to leave. My uncle lives in Neptune, NJ.... I liked it when I visited.....

Images

When I was driving trucks NJ was only state free to enter but had to pay to get out of & did so happily!

hello hiker mom k d i hope the midwest gets in on the snow fall if we dont get some moisture this winter we will be hurting next year.there is no color in the leaves this year just a hint of yellow then brown in a few days.had a good crop on my apple trees,yestertday because all the trees are going dormant early all the apples are dropping half finished.ill miss my cider this winter.glad to see people are seeing the real you,i knew you were a nice person from the start.hike on my new friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    hello hiker mom k d i hope the midwest gets in on the snow fall if we dont get some moisture this winter we will be hurting next year.there is no color in the leaves this year just a hint of yellow then brown in a few days.had a good crop on my apple trees,yestertday because all the trees are going dormant early all the apples are dropping half finished.ill miss my cider this winter.glad to see people are seeing the real you,i knew you were a nice person from the start.hike on my new friend.
    sorry thought it was the snow thread and it didnt post ignore duplicate post.

It started with Stratton Mtn, VT!

"The Appalachian Trail not only crosses New Jersey, it was BORN in New Jersey! The trail was the brainchild of former forester and regional planner Benton MacKaye, who shared his vision with others at a fateful July 1921 meeting at an estate known as Hudson Farm in Andover, Sussex County."

However, the idea for the AT came to MacKaye while on Stratton Mnt in Vermont, during the construction of the Long Trail in 1921. The idea for the Long Trail belongs to James P. Taylor, who in 1909 concived of the idea while waiting for mists to clear - on Stratton Mnt!

So, maybe the AT was born in NJ, but it was concived in Vermont!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    "The Appalachian Trail not only crosses New Jersey, it was BORN in New Jersey! The trail was the brainchild of former forester and regional planner Benton MacKaye, who shared his vision with others at a fateful July 1921 meeting at an estate known as Hudson Farm in Andover, Sussex County."

However, the idea for the AT came to MacKaye while on Stratton Mnt in Vermont, during the construction of the Long Trail in 1921. The idea for the Long Trail belongs to James P. Taylor, who in 1909 concived of the idea while waiting for mists to clear - on Stratton Mnt!

So, maybe the AT was born in NJ, but it was concived in Vermont!
    That's really interesting..... I'm glad they had that dream/idea and made it happen.

Images

Wherever it was conceived or started, THANK YOU MR Mackay & all of the rest of people that made the dream a reality!

the first piece of trail was built in NY

I'm pretty sure war cry is correct. The AT was conceived atop Stratton Mountain in VT. The Long Trail actually preceded the AT.

Historically, speaking....The "original" switchback was conceived and constructed in Maine.....Take the Trail straight to the top and then, take the Trail straight down. Somehow, that concept was "bastarized" below the Mason-Dixon line and the Trail continues to lengthen with 5 mile climbs which should take only 2 miles. The Trail was completed near Spaulding Mtn. in Maine. Much of the Trail was laid out along already existing Trail in many States and it was the leadership of Myron Avery of Lubec, Maine that made the Appalachian Trail possible. Agreeably, some of the best hiking is through New York and New Jersey. Wherever the Trail began, be thankful that Myron Avery and the MATC are a part of the experience...

Those stupid folks below the Mason-Dixon Line probably don't realize that if you take the trail staight up and straight down it is reduced to a pile of rocks and roots in short order.

++ New Posts ++