WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boot or shoe?...that is the question

I will be section hiking the AT next September. I don't know if i should buy a hiking boot or hiking shoe. I have heard that boots get heavy on long hikes, is this true? What are the pros and cons of both? What do you personally wear on the trail?

personally, trail runners.

Images

I would say trail runners also...... but i broke my ankle on the AT this year.. so maybe i should of had boots lol

Images

After wearing Vasque Clarion boots for years, as a section hiker, this year I switched to Oboz Blaze shoes. I like the way my feet feel at the end of the day in these shoes.

MY thoughts: if you're fit or better, reasonably coordinated, with no major ailments – trail runners or similar.

Myself, broken leg just last year, short hikes – mountaineering boots.
    Longer hikes – mid-height lightweight trail shoes (note, NOT boots).

Some will suggest simply trail runners,
    some Vibrams or minimalistic foot condoms,
    some will tell you to go barefoot,
    and some might suggest you remove your feet altogether.

The trend is geared towards as light as you can go with adequate protection of the health of your feet.

I use hiking shoes, much lighter than boots and I can go about two or three miles further per day. But, not too light. Trail runners don't last very long if you're heavy and carry a heavy pack. You could be several days away from new shoes when they go and that can hurt your feet to the point you may have to abandon your hike.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

There is no question... Trail runners.

Trail runners are good for most, but in Pa, where it's extremely rocky, go without da boot.

Oops. WITH da boot!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    I will be section hiking the AT next September. I don't know if i should buy a hiking boot or hiking shoe. I have heard that boots get heavy on long hikes, is this true? What are the pros and cons of both? What do you personally wear on the trail?

I switched to trail runners about a year ago. So far, hiking has been a lot better. So far, I've been using basic Saucony Trail Runners bought from a discount shoe store. Same shoes I wear everyday even when not hiking.

I used the Teva Royal Arch last month in the VA-TN border area. 14 oz, waterproof...
    9-142007l.gif

I didn't see any non-day hikers wearing anything other than boots. I liked the Tevas, but I found myself wishing for boots more than once and plan to wear them on my next section.

I was thinking of purchasing these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adidas-Terre...item3cca3cd52b

I am really liking my Solomon trail runners over a mid weight boot for dayhikes up to 20 miles (carrying 10-15 lbs). Feet feel much better at end of day, though I miss the support of a boot late in a hike. I use hiking poles to compensate for the lack of ankle support.

It really is an individual thing, dependent on your feet, your weight, your pack weight and where and when you are hiking.

I like trail runners, except when hiking in snow or in really rocky country. Then I wear light boots. My husband can't wear trail runners at all, except on very flat dirt roads. His feet really hurt if he doesn't have more protection. We did a weekend trip just before heading out to the PCT and after two days, he threw the lighter shoes away. I've known people who were happy in sandals and even barefoot - and others who got off the trail after they had to walk a few miles in their tevas.

Best thing is to try trail shoes now on long day hikes, carrying weight on your back. See how your body feels and how your feet feel. You have time to test out various options and then decide what works best. If they don't work for backpacking, they'll still do for around town.

Pros of runners vs. boots - light, easy on the knees, few if any blisters, easy to walk in once you learn how to avoid sharp rocks, fairly easy to find, dry quickly when wet (as happens often on the AT)
    Cons - may make you more prone to stress fractures, may cause foot pain especially in rocky trails, don't last as long (400-600 miles vs. 1000-1200), feet get dirtier (which may lead to blisters later).

I like my Montrail trail runners, but I have learned I need some sort of ankle gaiters to keep the dirt and crap out (which I didn't need so much with boots). I do get much fewer blisters with them, though.

I think I still want boots for snowy conditions.

2012 double thru-hike, 4368.4 miles in 10 mo.

I've hiked over 3600 miles so far this calendar year, almost entirely in trail runners. The souls of my feet feel tough and numb from all the pounding on rough surfaces, but no other issues. I've hiked a few days in my crocs - a good alternative in very wet conditions, and they offer about as much cushioning as trail runners. I've met a handful of thru-hikers doing the whole trail in crocs, and they love them.

I wear the Adidas goretex hiking shoe northface hedgehog or chacos z1

I think it really just depends on the individual. I have bad ankles, so I generally go with boots. The Keen Targhee II have been my go to shoe for quite some time. Good support and large toe box.

Images

Just a little bit of humor, but that's "a very personal question!" Definitely a "hike your own hike" issue, as are so many. But especially for footwear. Footwear is more important than packs, tents, sleeping pads and bags, clothing, food, stoves, hiking poles, et cetera. If your feet are not happy, not much else matters, compared to if your tent leaks or your stove is finicky, or any of the issues a hiker can live with.

Having said that, once I switched from boots to backpacking shoes, I never looked back. They are so much lighter.

A con is that the bottom of your feet take more abuse than with good boots. A pro (besides being light) is that shoes dry faster.

Since you are section hiking and not doing a long distance hike, ... if I were in your shoes (pun intended), I'd go with backpacking shoes, if it were me. But you have to decide for yourself what works for you.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++