WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Trail runners

Default Trail runners

I have seen a few people jogging on the AT, and have a friend who has jogged from Sams Gap to Big Bald and back in a day. This article suggests that trail running is becoming more popular. I'm wondering if there are noticably more people running on the trail nowadays.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBU50H9D8E.html

The word is "noticeably;" can't figure out how to edit what I wrote.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Trail running

Think it is a nice alternative to hiking at times. I do not like road running if I can help it.

Trail running (at least for a person who plods like me!) can be a laidback way to get a good workout. Many times I am in the "zone" and enjoy it for many of the same reasons why I love hiking. Coming from a hiking background, it was a natural gravitation to trail running when I did pick-up running 2.5 yrs ago.

Boulder, CO is one of the main, if the not *THE* main, places for trail running in the US.
    See lots of trail runners out here and the Mesa Trail is consistently voted one of the best trail runs anywhere.

I consider myself a hiker first and foremost; trail running has just been a great for me to experience the outdoors in a different way. As with the thru-hiking community there are some really nice people (many!), a few some-what-famous personalities, and a few jerks (very ew!).

My next trail "run" - http://www.lakecity50.com/

Images

Default Trail running

I have been trail running for over 25 years. I do use some parts of the A-T but ussually run elswhere. When I first starting running on the trail in the early 70's people would look at me like I was crazy. It is still uncommon to see a trail runner on the A-T today. In the over 25 years of running I have done on trails I can count on 1 hand the number of runners I have seen on the A-T. To answer your question I don't think there has been an increase.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper
    I have been trail running for over 25 years. I do use some parts of the A-T but ussually run elswhere. When I first starting running on the trail in the early 70's people would look at me like I was crazy. It is still uncommon to see a trail runner on the A-T today. In the over 25 years of running I have done on trails I can count on 1 hand the number of runners I have seen on the A-T. To answer your question I don't think there has been an increase.

Depends where you live. Seems out West, trail running is very established and popular. Colorado definitely has a trail runing culture. So does the Pacififc Northwest and many parts of California. Heck..they have large, glossy Trailrunning magazines now. If the advertisers think they can make money off of trail runners, you know it is getting popular.

East coast? Seems less so.

I do a little trail running around me (Middlesex Fells, just outside Boston, is about a two mile warm-up jog from my house).

I very rarely see other people running on the trails. A lot of mountain bikers, but that is about it.

It is also more popular in the South (where I am originally from).

Images

Default Trail Running

Trail running was very popular 25 years ago. There was no internet and media attention was not very popular except maybe for Leadville and a few other sometime televised events. Now all the trendy magazine have many pictures.

Cultural Resource Destroying Speed Hiker

The JFK fifty miler has been taking place on the AT since 1963.

As in past years, the Appalachian Trail Conference so graciously “bent” their rules to allow the JFK 50 Mile to use the beautiful Appalachian Trail as part of the 2004 JFK 50 Mile course. Continued use of the AT by the JFK 50 Mile is no guarantee. If you are in a financial or geographic position to help keep the Appalachian Trail maintained, please send donations (checks or money orders should me made out to PATC) to: Wilson Riley, PATC, 118 Park Street SE, Vienna, VA 22180. If you are interested in physically helping with the maintenance of the Appalachian Trail, please call Mr. Rick Canter of PATC at (301) 924-4942. With any donation or volunteer work please let the ATC know of your association with the JFK 50 Mile.

++ New Posts ++