WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Easy does it: Thru hiking the appalachian trail at age 81

Finally got my father to compose his memoirs from 66 years of AT hiking including his record setting 2004 thru-hike. It will be called "Easy Does It" and it is at the printer right now. After reading it, I was toying with the idea of offering it on Amazon.com based on the number of observations and experiences, which include about every sort of hazard imaginable. He identified the killer from the Thelma Marks Shelter murders (and testified at the trial), he had over twenty bear encounters including one bite, etc. He agreed provided the proceeds benefit the ATC in some way.

Could I get some feedback from the Forum members as far as whether there is any interest in this sort of information? In the interest of full disclosure, it was not written for wide publication: It was done for his children and grandchildren because we continually asked him to do it, knowing only bits and pieces from various hikes. He has some fairly interesting tales to tell. If I were planning to thru-hike the AT, some of this information seems very valuable, even if I were going to attempt it at a younger age rather than after most sensible people retire.

AT 2012

I would be very interested in reading his story, and applaud your effort to collect that piece of family history. Hey, most "published" books about the AT are pretty casually written. Your father's memoirs should be fine -- and especially of interest to us "older" hikers...
    Lazarus

Okay what was you fathers name and what kind of record did he set in 2004, i have hiked three times 96 & 06 & 2012 and i don't think i have ever heard of him, but yeah i would buy the book it might be a funny read. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

There are plenty of daily AT journals available, but not enough stories. There is always room for more stories.

I would but it, especially if you offered it on Kindle.

Did you ever consider publishing an eBook or going through a print-on-demand service like lulu.com? Just wondering.

http://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...p_by_step.html
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-10-2012 at 17:00.

Sounds like a great idea. I am interested since one of my life's goals is to break the oldest thru-hiker record (when I get old enough).

Check with Lori Pottinger at the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry. Probably you would not recognize the name due to the length of time since he last logged a section hike. Lee Barry (Easy One) has several distinctions (according to the ATC). Oldest thru-hiker at age 81 (2004), longest time start to finish (Jan 2 to Nov 20), longest time between AT section completion (66 years...age 15 to age 81). He was a two time thru-hiker (1996 and 2004) and three time end to end AT section hiker. Five two thousand mile rocker panels. In addition, he did all 46 of the highest peaks in the Adirondaks both summer and winter. He designed and made all his own gear.

As pointed out, there are plenty of trail journals but the stories of what happened during various hikes at different points along the trail made my hair stand on end in a couple places. The people he meets up with and the stories they had. The consequences of advice given and ignored. Why he avoids certain shelters. Death of a long time hiking companion in a flash flood (he is still sheepish about fording streams). Waist high snow in SMNP (NC) on May 1 (bailed out at Newfound Gap). Trail magic. Wild pig encounters. Insects...he was allergic to vespid stings and once accidentally pitched his tent over a hornets nest. That was a long night. Nearly asphyxiatied along with several companions by carbon monoxide poisoning when one of them inadvertendly closed the vent and another was cooking with a gas stove.

I did a couple section hikes with him. During editing, it occured to me that maybe there were a few others like him and they might enjoy reading this. It turns out there are quite a few hardcores unless these are all keyboard campaigners. I have a bit of experience with publishing (google "Craig L Barry"), so I started EZ-1 books and self published it. It could probably be done in a reasonable quantity for under $25, in color.

Images

when talking to Gene Epsy's daughter she said it was only from the family pushing to do his book that it was done. i enjoyed his. would probably like this one too.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I'd buy it and would prefer it in Kindle format if possible.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Okay what was you fathers name and what kind of record did he set in 2004, i have hiked three times 96 & 06 & 2012 and i don't think i have ever heard of him, but yeah i would buy the book it might be a funny read. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )
    My guess would be Lee Barry AKA Easy One. If I'm right do I get a free copy of the book? I'd love to read it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I'd by it. Met EZ-1 in the south in 2004 on his record hike. We talked for a long time. Interesting fellow your pops is, would love to hear his stories.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

buy.......
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

http://americasroof.com/archives/390
    A short paragraph about your dad. I would buy the book if it's published.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I'm inspired. My goal is to hike the PCT with my grandsons. I'll be 80+ before they're old enough.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I would definitely be interested in purchasing a copy.

I would purchase a copy the first day it was available!
    Please keep us posted on the publication date.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I would definitely be interested in purchasing a copy.
    What WIAPiot said!

Cool Beans. It will be published, it is at the printer now. The question posed was if it should be offered up to others besides his immediate family, in other words, for sale on Amazon. He agreed under two conditions: If there was any interest in it from his fellow hikers and second that the sale of the book provide donations to benefit the ATC. He mentions Officer Taco, the Solemates, Felix, Magic, Ice Cold, Pickle & Peanuts, Dozer, Chainsaw, Drifter, Cactus Gus, Nimblewell Nomad, Dusty and Lefty, Sunstroke, Boy Wonder, Little Tree, Hoss and Red Dog, Stairmaster, Willie Goat, Good to Go, Shadow Man, Hustler and A1.

I am also signing him up for the forum because I think he would get a lot out of it and probably has a fair amount of insight into many of the subjects discussed in the threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    http://americasroof.com/archives/390
    A short paragraph about your dad. I would buy the book if it's published.

Yep, that is the same guy. True story: the reason he did not climb the last three peaks near Murphy, NC mentioned in the article...he ran across booby traps set by dope farmers while bushwhacking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++