WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Light Hammocks

Images

I toss and turn in a hammock but find it much more comfortable than a tent. My hammock, tarp, TQ, UQ, stakes, tie out lines and compression bag weight 7 lbs. I could get a lighter weight hammock and save a pound but I am a big guy and find the hammock I am using to be very comfortable so I am willing to carry a little extra weight for a good nights sleep.

If you have tried sleeping in a hammock and have not found it comfortable then it could be the wrong hammock for you and or the way you are trying to sleep in it. Most hammocks you sleep with your feet on one side and the head on the other side and hang the foot end a few inches higher than the head end.

Attend a group hammock hang in your area (tenters are always welcome) and you will be able to check out many different setups and find out the proper way to hang. I was at a group hang in SC 2 weekends ago and we had several first time hangers and I had extra gear that I brought so the new hangers could try some gear they have not had a chance to see or play with
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I've looked into hammocks several times and believe I'd like them if I had the right one but I keep coming up with a sizeable weight increase when I add everything up. I have a 28 oz Notch tent and a 19 oz sleeping pad which I assume I would not need with the hammock...total weight = 2.94 lbs. When I add hammock, tarp, bug netting, under cover I'm at a greater weight than with the tent. The problem with tents is finding a flat spot to pitch it. The jury's still out on this one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I've looked into hammocks several times and believe I'd like them if I had the right one but I keep coming up with a sizeable weight increase when I add everything up. I have a 28 oz Notch tent and a 19 oz sleeping pad which I assume I would not need with the hammock...total weight = 2.94 lbs. When I add hammock, tarp, bug netting, under cover I'm at a greater weight than with the tent. The problem with tents is finding a flat spot to pitch it. The jury's still out on this one for me.
    If weight is your primary criteria, then I expect you will stay with a tent.

I hike primarily in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and my hammock makes site selection much easier. So, for me, the additional weight is offset by the additional flexibility I gain in terms of where I stop for the night.

I find both hanging and going to ground comfortable so that isn't a factor for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thethinker View Post
    I've been looking at the hammock pros and cons, and it's very possible I will be making the switch. There's one thing that still concerns me.

I carry a 2lb 11oz tent with me, that includes rainfly, guylines, stakes, poles, sacks, everything.

I have found some hammocks lighter, but what happens when I add the tarp plus everything else like guylines for the tarp, or whoopie slings for the hammock. it seem like I would be at 3+ pounds again.

If i can accept being comfortable in a small space with no place for my stuff inside, then why would I not go with something like a TT Contrail at 25oz.?

Please sell me on a hammock. They do look fun and helpful in other ways.

On my section hike this summer, one of my friends started having IT Band pain. It started to become hard for her to walk even on flat terrain, and going downhill was very painful. It was towards the end of the day, and there was no way we would be able to get to the place we were going to camp, so we started looking for the best place to pitch a tent. We had to hike much farther that she should have because there was not a suitable place along the trail. 2 of us had hammocks, 2 had tents. The 2 with tents had to share one tent because we had such a hard time finding a spot. Hammocks would have avoided that situation, and even saved the underbrush that they had to tent on top of.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I certainly understand your reasoning but my hammock setup is lighter than your listed tent setup. Of course I also have hammock setups that are heavier also but hammock camping is not for everyone. I do not think that it is fair to dismiss it based on weight alone until it has been given a fair test. There is a much steeper learning curve for hammock camping than tent camping.

My hammock is 5.9 oz with whoopie slings
    Tree straps 2.3 oz
    My bug net (when needed) 3.6 oz
    Cuben tarp with guy lines 7.0 oz
    Stakes 0.8 oz
    Summer Under Quilt 9.0 oz
    Winter Under Quilt 17 oz

2.0 lb total summer/bug season
    2.5 lbs total winter/non bug season
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

My winter hammock is a Warbonnet Traveler which I couple with a Hammock Gear 4-Season cuben tarp (with doors). Weights are 15.7 and 10.0 oz (including suspension). That is well under 2 lbs. Add to that appropriate top and bottom quilts, but 25.7 oz is not too bad for the best sleep I have had while out backpacking. I am nowhere near Southmark's UL setup. But the worst night I ever had in a hammock was about the same as the best night I ever slept in a tent.

UL is not my goal. Lighter than I was in my old tent setup is what I have been able to achieve from the moment I moved above the ground.
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 09-17-2012 at 15:30.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

AT 2012

sweet, as our younger hammock buddies might say. please share manufacturer info if you don't mind. is that bug net tulle?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I certainly understand your reasoning but my hammock setup is lighter than your listed tent setup. Of course I also have hammock setups that are heavier also but hammock camping is not for everyone. I do not think that it is fair to dismiss it based on weight alone until it has been given a fair test. There is a much steeper learning curve for hammock camping than tent camping.

Tree straps 2.3 oz
    Stakes 0.8 oz
    Winter Under Quilt 17 oz

Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thethinker View Post
    I've been looking at the hammock pros and cons, and it's very possible I will be making the switch. There's one thing that still concerns me.

I carry a 2lb 11oz tent with me, that includes rainfly, guylines, stakes, poles, sacks, everything.

I have found some hammocks lighter, but what happens when I add the tarp plus everything else like guylines for the tarp, or whoopie slings for the hammock. it seem like I would be at 3+ pounds again.

If i can accept being comfortable in a small space with no place for my stuff inside, then why would I not go with something like a TT Contrail at 25oz.?

Please sell me on a hammock. They do look fun and helpful in other ways.
    I primarily use a hammock but will never completely give up my tent. Both are light. One advantage of a hammock is that you can pitch it almost anywhere and dont spend as much time looking for the perfect tent spot. Some think they are more comfortable. There is no consenus on that, just personal preference. Good thing is, you don't have to completely commit to one or the other, use both. I love mixing up gear on different trips. It's like having toys. Enjoy both. It's all good!

Tree straps 2.3 oz
    Stakes 0.8 oz
    Winter Under Quilt 17 oz

SM...a storie before my question. I was getting into mt biking and was looking for info, I knew one of the guys at work was big into biking so in the course of gathering info I asked what his bike cost. He started by telling me he didn't drink, smoke, etc, etc, etc...had no vices to waste money on blah, blah, blah. I finally got a cost from him but he was ashamed to tell he paid that much for a bike. Considering how much he used it, it was a good investment, now, what does a set up like your's cost a fellow...and I wont tell your wife.

Images

My wife and I just bought a couple of Hennessy Hammocks because of everything we read on here and other places.. We set them up in the yard and loved them. I think after a long day of hiking they are gonna be great, But don't no yet. At 2 lb 10 oz. with rainfly. We had the same problem finding a place to set up a tent. This will hopefully make it more relaxing.... We will see lol.
    Kibble's n Bit's

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    sweet, as our younger hammock buddies might say. please share manufacturer info if you don't mind. is that bug net tulle?
    The bug net is a DIY HUG from poly tulle, not nylon. A good friend and fellow hammock hanger made it for me. The hammock is a Grand Trunk Nano-7. Tree straps are hold down straps from Wal-Mart. ZPacks cuben tarp, summer UQ LeighLo's, winter UQ Warbonnet winter Yeti and the stakes are Terra Nova carbon fiber. If I take my larger Warbonnet Traveler hammock I only add 1.8 oz.

Images

SM...a storie before my question. I was getting into mt biking and was looking for info, I knew one of the guys at work was big into biking so in the course of gathering info I asked what his bike cost. He started by telling me he didn't drink, smoke, etc, etc, etc...had no vices to waste money on blah, blah, blah. I finally got a cost from him but he was ashamed to tell he paid that much for a bike. Considering how much he used it, it was a good investment, now, what does a set up like your's cost a fellow...and I wont tell your wife.
    DB, fortunately the wife doesn't mind as she spends a lot more on her hobbies.
    The hammock, Grand Trunk Nano-7, $49.00 on sale.
    Tree straps, made from some old Wal-Mart tie down straps $14.00
    DIY HUG bug net ? (gift from a friend)
    Cuben Tarp Zpacks $255 (ouch)
    Stakes $9.00
    LeighLo's summer UQ $130.00
    Warbonnet Winter Yeti UQ $125.00 (used)

All of this and all my other hammocks and quilts were not acquired at once of course. I now have a winter version of the cuben tarp with doors, 8.5 oz, $315.00.

DB, fortunately the wife doesn't mind as she spends a lot more on her hobbies.
    The hammock, Grand Trunk Nano-7, $49.00 on sale.
    Tree straps, made from some old Wal-Mart tie down straps $14.00
    DIY HUG bug net ? (gift from a friend)
    Cuben Tarp Zpacks $255 (ouch)
    Stakes $9.00
    LeighLo's summer UQ $130.00
    Warbonnet Winter Yeti UQ $125.00 (used)

All of this and all my other hammocks and quilts were not acquired at once of course. I now have a winter version of the cuben tarp with doors, 8.5 oz, $315.00.
    SM...thanks. First step will be to aquire the hammock to see how it sleeps, $49 is not bad. If it sleeps good I'll procede from there. Thanks again.

Images

SM...thanks. First step will be to aquire the hammock to see how it sleeps, $49 is not bad. If it sleeps good I'll procede from there. Thanks again.
    the grand trunk 7 is only 4' by 9'. a very small hammock. im 6-3 and don't like a hammock under 11'- 5'. i have 2 grand trunks for the grand kids. a Warbonnet Traveler is 10' - 5', it was OK but i finally sold it. i have 3 HH and 2 DIY's. point im making is there are a lot of choices.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

DB, the Nano-7 is small hence it's light weight. Grand Trunk also makes one called the Ultralight that you can find for around $20. It weighs a couple oz more but is a good starter hammock. For greater comfort the Warbonnet Traveler at $60 is much larger and changing out suspension can be gotten down to 7.7 oz. Good luck and don't give up after a night. There is a steep learning curve but it is worth it in the end. Check out whiteblaze's sister site hammock forums.net for everything hammock camping.

I see that you are in Gadsden. I make it up to Piedmont often for hiking the Pinhoti and kayaking Terrapin Creek. Maybe we could meet one of those times and I could demo some of the gear and you could try it out.

I see that you are in Gadsden. I make it up to Piedmont often for hiking the Pinhoti and kayaking Terrapin Creek. Maybe we could meet one of those times and I could demo some of the gear and you could try it out.[/QUOTE]

Any time you want some company either on the Pinhoti or the Terrapin I'm available or if you just need help with a shuttle. Ruger (doberman) and I plan to go out Wed. & Thur. for a short overnighter to let him get his hiking legs limbered up...has a hip issue. I'm trying to get a small group together from the B'ham area to hike the Art Loeb Trail 10/19-21, send me a PM if you think you might be interested in going.

AT 2012

...I also use the grand trunk nano, and am very happy with it -- just a word of caution, though -- if you are fairly tall the nano may be a tad short for you. at 5'-7" it works fine for me. i am curious about butt in a sling's hammock, which is both a little bigger and a little lighter than the nano. i'm pretty sure that would be my new hammock purchase if i could ever justify (another) one!
    Lazarus

Images

...I also use the grand trunk nano, and am very happy with it -- just a word of caution, though -- if you are fairly tall the nano may be a tad short for you. at 5'-7" it works fine for me. i am curious about butt in a sling's hammock, which is both a little bigger and a little lighter than the nano. i'm pretty sure that would be my new hammock purchase if i could ever justify (another) one!
    I too have thought about butt in a sling's hammock but also have 4 hammocks now and just can't sleep in but one at a time. BTW I'm 5'-9" and the Nano-7 works for me also. After I fall asleep I do not know what hammock I'm in or it's size.

I almost bought a hammock, dont recall the brand, but at 6'1" was afraid it would be too short. Any recommendations for taller people?

Images

I almost bought a hammock, dont recall the brand, but at 6'1" was afraid it would be too short. Any recommendations for taller people?
    Not the lightest ones out there, but for mosquito hammocks, my money would be on a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter (my go-to hammock for a year and a half and very comfortable) or for a but more money, the Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB). I am 6'1" and own both. For a non mosquito hammock (no bug net) I really like my Warbonnet Traveler (same dimensions as the WBBB). Also Grand Trunk and ENO both make large hammocks called "doubles."

Recently, there have been others popping up (cottage industry), like Dream Hammock and others, but I have been so satisified with my Warbonnet hammocks that I have not looked into these.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++