WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pen-Mar to Harpers Ferry Transport

Hey everyone,
    I'm going to be hiking from Harpers Ferry to the Mason-Dixon line in a week or two here and I'm looking for suggestions on transport back to my car in Harpers Ferry. I was thinking a car service from Hagerstown but would prefer the least expensive option. Any suggestions?

Images

Laurel at Tea Horse Hostel in Harpers Ferry 304-535-6848. She advertises on Whiteblaze.
    "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."

Sweet, thank you!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I would park at Pen Mar and go south.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by thebrewguy View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'm going to be hiking from Harpers Ferry to the Mason-Dixon line in a week or two here and I'm looking for suggestions on transport back to my car in Harpers Ferry. I was thinking a car service from Hagerstown but would prefer the least expensive option. Any suggestions?
    Yes stay at the Teahorse, eat a all you can eat waffle breakfastast and have Laurel shuttle you to PennMar. Actually she will take you a little further so you can cross the Madon Dixon Line. Plus you can park your car at her place. We used her in May, great service.

But I had my heart set on going north lol. Guess it doesn't matter, that would prob be easier to get a ride there and hike back to the car

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Parking at Pen Mar is safe and free. Use the lot across the street outside the gate to the park.
    Southbounders avoid the climb up Weaverton.
    Water at Ed Garvey shelter (1st shelter NOBO) is 1/2 mile back down the hill you just climbed going north.
    SOBOs can carry water from Gathland to Garvey, an easy 4 mile hike.

Enjoy you're hike!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I thought I read something about the parking at Pen Mar across from the park being sketchy. Some said it was cool and others said you'd be towed for sure. I know the parking at Harpers Ferry and the shuttle into town. I was looking forward to the climb up weaverton lol :-P and I'll be making it to Crampton Gap that day so I can get water at Gathland on my way. Clearly I DO have my heart set on going North but if I went south I'd still prob park at HF and get a ride to PM and hike back. Thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it

I also wanted to do this hike but I'm not ready yet. I've lived in the area for 40+ years, If the timing is right I can help with the ride back to HF.

Images

Hiking sobo into Harper's Ferry is better imo simply because there are places to eat nearby . Also overlooking the Potomac River from Weaverton Cliffs,(a short blue blaze on the right off the AT) is a rewarding sight at the near completion of your hike. Take some time to stroll through Harper's Ferry and take in it's history before leaving, as this is one of the most interesting trail towns on the AT.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Well I talked to Laurel this morning and arranged to be picked up in Pen Mar on Tues 9/18 in the afternoon. Thank you for the offer Greg. I'll be leaving Harpers Ferry before noon on Sat 9/15. Committed to going North, thanks anyway for the SOBO tips. I'll be staying near Crampton Gap, Pine Knob, and Raven Rock shelters for the 3 nights. It'll be the first time using my hammock system aside from the backyard.

Oh and this will be my second time to Harpers Ferry so I know all about how awesome it is . It is such a beautiful area and so much history. One of the coolest towns I've ever been to on or off the trail.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Pen Mar is good for parking. Parked there 3 times for a week each with no problem, never heard of anyone having a problem there. You're parking in a nice quite neighborhood across the street from the park.
    Here's your best source for parking info.
    http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Wow that's an awesome website! Super useful for section hiking. I'll keep that in mind when I decide to do Pen Mar going north. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Parking at Pen Mar is safe and free. Use the lot across the street outside the gate to the park.
    Southbounders avoid the climb up Weaverton.
    Water at Ed Garvey shelter (1st shelter NOBO) is 1/2 mile back down the hill you just climbed going north.
    SOBOs can carry water from Gathland to Garvey, an easy 4 mile hike.

Enjoy you're hike!
    I agree! We hiked NB from HF to PM 3 years ago. It was a great hike!

++ New Posts ++