WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    your answer stated you dont have to worry about protein because "even if you ate nothing but snickers" youd be fine. except the OP cant eat snickers and was specifically asking for an alternative.
    Did you read the first two sentences of that post, or the other 3 examples in the thread I linked to? It's like you read the first 10 words, then skipped over the rest and went straight to Snickers. That's why I said Snickers/peanuts were not the point. The point was that it doesn't really matter what you eat because if you're eating the kinds of large quantities that long distance hikers eat, you'll get tremendous amounts of protein. It could be Snickers, rice, moths, oatmeal, bark, etc. Unless it's something utterly ridiculous like pure honey or Lemon Drops, you're going to get lots of protein.

The mistake lots of people make is they supplement with protein without actually counting the macronutrients in their diet to see if they need protein supplementation. It's a waste of money, pack weight and space. Add protein in real food, food that you're only eating because you want to eat it, not because you want to hit some level of protein that you don't know because you haven't done the math. In fact, if you review some of my old threads, I say that I do add protein powder to my meal replacement shakes, but ONLY because of the flavoring and sweetener in the protein, NOT because I needed more protein.

I'm all about bars if that's an easy form of food to eat, but strongly believe its macronutrients should lean heavily towards carbohydrates and fats/oils instead of protein for the reasons I've stated. If you're eating enough, you won't need to try to get enough protein, but you'll almost certainly not be getting enough carbs and fats. So why supplement something you have more than enough of instead of focusing on something you will need more of?

Journal Entries
    Images

I have to admit it is hard to look this up, and folks yes I have seen the carob dry mixes on the same machines used with peanut powders... as I have access to manufacture sites in my area. Might be a lost cause, I too on the first pass will say "go homemade"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    I suggest you Google "Moose Goo" for the recipe and substitute Nutella for the peanut butter. I make cookies from Moose Goo. Enjoy.
    I can't have Nutella, last I checked the label it is a risk.
    "Only when the last tree has withered, the last fish has been caught, and the last river has been poisoned, will you realize you cannot eat money." Cree saying

Images

Or, maybe I can have Nutella?! (YAY! ) I just visited their US site, and they say this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutella US

Does Nutella® contain any peanuts?
    Nutella® hazelnut spread does not contain peanuts or peanut ingredients, nor does the product come in contact with peanuts during manufacturing.
    (Will re-check the label this weekend while grocery shopping, I do avoid foods if they say they might have traces due to earned experiences.)
    "Only when the last tree has withered, the last fish has been caught, and the last river has been poisoned, will you realize you cannot eat money." Cree saying

Images

That sounds delicious.

Images

Quinoa and hemp hearts -both are seeds and pretty close to a balanced food I think.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nothing wrong with a hard boiled Egg and a dash of sea salt!

Non-meat sources of protein

Eggs and Dairy

• Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    • Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    • Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    • Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    • Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    • Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    • Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

• Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    • Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    • Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    • Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    • Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    • Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

• Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    • Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    • Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    • Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    • Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    • Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    • Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    • Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++