WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rich5665 View Post
    What about substituting a 2 liter Soda Bottle for Nalgene? At 1.8 oz I'm dropping 11oz by replacing 2 Nalgenes with a one 2 liter bottle
    I would go with 2 Gatorade bottles first. 2 Litre Soda pretty flimsy, big, and awkward. With 2 Gatorade bigger opening for gathering water, and still have 1, if something happens to the other.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I would go with 2 Gatorade bottles first. 2 Litre Soda pretty flimsy, big, and awkward. With 2 Gatorade bigger opening for gathering water, and still have 1, if something happens to the other.
    Looks Like I'm going to get some gatorade to night. Thanks for the input. I've managed to get the pack weight down to 23lbs. I'm going to put everything up in GearGrams tonight.
    A.T. Section Hikes
    NJ: Oct. 7 - 13, 2012 - Completed
    CT: Apr. 28 - May 1, 2013 - Completed
    NY: Fall 2013 - roughly 14 mile left to go

My Current Base Pack Weight

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rich5665 View Post
    Looks Like I'm going to get some gatorade to night. Thanks for the input. I've managed to get the pack weight down to 23lbs. I'm going to put everything up in GearGrams tonight.
    Now you're talking. 23 lbs is a big improvement. Keep us posted on your progress....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Thumbs up

rich5665,

You're making great progress at lightening your load!
    I say, for the moment, with your stated changes, go with what you have - make notes about what is working for you and what isn't (or what could be 'better'), and, especially, what you do NOT use (can be ditched the next time out)...

For the 'long term' future, a few random thoughts on your gear list and some of the others' suggestions:

I did not see any specifics (but maybe I missed some!) on how long a section (other than your "25 year plan on the AT", which equates to 80-100 mile sections), nor how many days 'out' you plan for this hike - if you are in fair trail shape, 80 miles can be done in ~5 or 6 days if this is a 'hiking' trek versus a 'camping' trip... It can also make a difference many times in what you take - your gear list doesn't have many 'camp' luxuries, so you seem to be concentrating on lightening your load for 'hiking'...
    Long distance hiking is more about the 'hiking' than the 'camping' aspect and lightening your load even further will make the hike(s) both 'easier' plus much more enjoyable!

A lighter pack is in your future, but you are correct in waiting until you are further along lightening your load - you are better off waiting until you have a good (final?) idea of your load weight and volume... There are many packs under 2# that can still comfortably haul a 35# load (when hauling full compliment of food, fuel, water for a long haul)...

Yes, ditch the pack cover (since you have the liner, plus have decided to go with a poncho for rain gear - a poncho can go over your pack if needed)...

Your tarp is light enough for now, but perhaps save your money for a future Cuben tarp at half the weight and more coverage ('doors'!!)...

I certainly agree with going with a top quilt vs. your current sleeping bag! (my HG 20* Burrow is ~20 oz.) You also might consider (saving up your money, again) a down 3/4 under quilt (HG 20* Phoenix is ~17 oz. plus much less VOLUME than your full length KAQ - an ensolite or TaR 'sit pad' can be used for foot/calf insulation if needed)...

BTW, you do have 2 compasses listed under "Misc Essentials" (Brunton 7DNL & Silva Polaris) - a minor 1 oz. detail...

First aid kit could be a little lighter... So could the knife... And, yes, ditch the multi-tool...

Clothing - a bit too much(?), maybe go for some more versatility? - 1 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve (the one you're 'wearing') or only one long sleeve (pull the sleeves up if you're too warm hiking); only 2 pair socks total for hiking, maybe 1 pair extra for dedicated 'sleep socks' if you have 'cold feet'; you've already dropped weight on the poncho, you can drop a lot of weight substituting much lighter outer insulation for the EB (yeah, there's that money thing yet again)... You might also consider adding an UL wind shirt - good not only for cool wind, but also for fog/drizzle/light rain, and it's another 'layer' for warmth, too...

Water filter: consider the Sawyer Squeeze - much lighter - though the included squeeze bags are its weak point, you can rig it up as a gravity filter or sub plastic soda or water bottles to 'squeeze' with...
    Yes, ditch the 1 quart hard Nalgene bottles - unless you might want to keep 1 for 'mixing' a morning breakfast shake or such (but a Gatorade bottle is also good for that)...

You won't need two large canisters of fuel for a 'section' hike (assuming it's in the 80-100 mile range) (or is the "8 oz." listed only '4 oz.' of fuel in its canister??) - amount of fuel required will depend on how many days 'out' and how any times per day you will 'cook' - you will 'learn' over time what you use personally (might want to 'experiment' at home some more ahead of time)...

Food - for section hikes, 'some' freeze-dried meals might be okay, but it is much cheaper to go with previously mentioned Lipton 'Sides' and/or mashed potatoes or stuffing or ramen with added tuna, salmon, chicken, olive oil, spices, etc. - a slight weight penalty over the freeze-dried, perhaps, but much more filling and a major calorie boost at the same time! (which you will appreciate both after being out on the trail a few days!!)

Back to the clothing - are you hiking barefoot (other than socks)? I don't see any 'outer' footwear listed...... The lighter your load becomes, the lighter your footwear can be, too, in the future... I believe the "a pound on the foot is the same as 5 pounds in the pack" adage... I also concur with losing some excess body weight ahead of time, but also have to agree that it's "easier said than done"!!

One other note: base pack weight usually doesn't include 'consumables' (food, water, fuel), but it does include the 'containers' (water bottles, food bag, fuel bottle or canister)... The 'containers' are a constant weight throughout your hike, but the 'consumable' food & fuel get lighter every day (water varies - but I usually only count one quart as being carried for weight purposes, which is listed under 'consumables' on my gear lists)... I do suggest you add one more category (column) for your consumables and their weights to your spreadsheet...

Final observation: I think your "25 year plan on the AT" will ultimately fail... WHY? you ask... I honestly (and hopefully) think that after a few 'section' hikes, you will decide to do much longer sections (thus drastically shortening the 25 year plan) or even attempt a full thru-hike...
    Whatever, whichever, I wish you the best in both lightening your load and on the trail!

Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Suggestions... take one compass, not 2
    .....get TQ vice the sleeping bag
    .....dump the heavy water bottle for a gator aid bottle
    A compass? Really?

My Montbell down jacket weighs right at a pound and I have a 9 oz poncho with full pack coverage from GoLite that can also be used as a tarp. I don't recall if the dri ducks covers your pack or not. Nalgene bottles are good only if you want to boil water to help you sleep warmer.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by enyapjr View Post
    rich5665,

You're making great progress at lightening your load!
    I say, for the moment, with your stated changes, go with what you have - make notes about what is working for you and what isn't (or what could be 'better'), and, especially, what you do NOT use (can be ditched the next time out)...

For the 'long term' future, a few random thoughts on your gear list and some of the others' suggestions:

I did not see any specifics (but maybe I missed some!) on how long a section (other than your "25 year plan on the AT", which equates to 80-100 mile sections), nor how many days 'out' you plan for this hike - if you are in fair trail shape, 80 miles can be done in ~5 or 6 days if this is a 'hiking' trek versus a 'camping' trip... It can also make a difference many times in what you take - your gear list doesn't have many 'camp' luxuries, so you seem to be concentrating on lightening your load for 'hiking'...
    Long distance hiking is more about the 'hiking' than the 'camping' aspect and lightening your load even further will make the hike(s) both 'easier' plus much more enjoyable!

A lighter pack is in your future, but you are correct in waiting until you are further along lightening your load - you are better off waiting until you have a good (final?) idea of your load weight and volume... There are many packs under 2# that can still comfortably haul a 35# load (when hauling full compliment of food, fuel, water for a long haul)...

Yes, ditch the pack cover (since you have the liner, plus have decided to go with a poncho for rain gear - a poncho can go over your pack if needed)...

Your tarp is light enough for now, but perhaps save your money for a future Cuben tarp at half the weight and more coverage ('doors'!!)...

I certainly agree with going with a top quilt vs. your current sleeping bag! (my HG 20* Burrow is ~20 oz.) You also might consider (saving up your money, again) a down 3/4 under quilt (HG 20* Phoenix is ~17 oz. plus much less VOLUME than your full length KAQ - an ensolite or TaR 'sit pad' can be used for foot/calf insulation if needed)...

BTW, you do have 2 compasses listed under "Misc Essentials" (Brunton 7DNL & Silva Polaris) - a minor 1 oz. detail...

First aid kit could be a little lighter... So could the knife... And, yes, ditch the multi-tool...

Clothing - a bit too much(?), maybe go for some more versatility? - 1 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve (the one you're 'wearing') or only one long sleeve (pull the sleeves up if you're too warm hiking); only 2 pair socks total for hiking, maybe 1 pair extra for dedicated 'sleep socks' if you have 'cold feet'; you've already dropped weight on the poncho, you can drop a lot of weight substituting much lighter outer insulation for the EB (yeah, there's that money thing yet again)... You might also consider adding an UL wind shirt - good not only for cool wind, but also for fog/drizzle/light rain, and it's another 'layer' for warmth, too...

Water filter: consider the Sawyer Squeeze - much lighter - though the included squeeze bags are its weak point, you can rig it up as a gravity filter or sub plastic soda or water bottles to 'squeeze' with...
    Yes, ditch the 1 quart hard Nalgene bottles - unless you might want to keep 1 for 'mixing' a morning breakfast shake or such (but a Gatorade bottle is also good for that)...

You won't need two large canisters of fuel for a 'section' hike (assuming it's in the 80-100 mile range) (or is the "8 oz." listed only '4 oz.' of fuel in its canister??) - amount of fuel required will depend on how many days 'out' and how any times per day you will 'cook' - you will 'learn' over time what you use personally (might want to 'experiment' at home some more ahead of time)...

Food - for section hikes, 'some' freeze-dried meals might be okay, but it is much cheaper to go with previously mentioned Lipton 'Sides' and/or mashed potatoes or stuffing or ramen with added tuna, salmon, chicken, olive oil, spices, etc. - a slight weight penalty over the freeze-dried, perhaps, but much more filling and a major calorie boost at the same time! (which you will appreciate both after being out on the trail a few days!!)

Back to the clothing - are you hiking barefoot (other than socks)? I don't see any 'outer' footwear listed...... The lighter your load becomes, the lighter your footwear can be, too, in the future... I believe the "a pound on the foot is the same as 5 pounds in the pack" adage... I also concur with losing some excess body weight ahead of time, but also have to agree that it's "easier said than done"!!

One other note: base pack weight usually doesn't include 'consumables' (food, water, fuel), but it does include the 'containers' (water bottles, food bag, fuel bottle or canister)... The 'containers' are a constant weight throughout your hike, but the 'consumable' food & fuel get lighter every day (water varies - but I usually only count one quart as being carried for weight purposes, which is listed under 'consumables' on my gear lists)... I do suggest you add one more category (column) for your consumables and their weights to your spreadsheet...

Final observation: I think your "25 year plan on the AT" will ultimately fail... WHY? you ask... I honestly (and hopefully) think that after a few 'section' hikes, you will decide to do much longer sections (thus drastically shortening the 25 year plan) or even attempt a full thru-hike...
    Whatever, whichever, I wish you the best in both lightening your load and on the trail!

Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)
    Jim,

This post was the initial plan of my Section Hike of NJ. It was base on a shelter to shelter day. The itinerary of the hike was never written in stone and will be based more on how far we hike on any given day.

2 compasses. Didn't even see the other one listed. I borrowed the list from another forum member so as I filling in my information I'm over writing the rest.
    Multitool has been dropped
    Knife has been swapped out for my daily knife which ways 2.2 oz
    Dropped one short sleeve shirt
    Droped the Eddie Bauer Jacket in favor of a flannel shirt
    Dropped the Pack cover as well.
    Bringing 1 canister of fuel and will most likely drop the plastic case on my MSR Pocket Rocket
    Dropped the Nalgenes for 2 32oz Gatorade Bottles
    Boots are going to be weighed tonight. I realized I forgot to add them to the list after walking the dog last night.
    25 year plan - Already toast. Started planning for PA for next fall and Spring. Splitting that hike into 2 parts with rte 501 being split point., just haven't decided which direction to hike it yet.

Once I figure out how to share my list from the geargrams site I'll post it.
    Last edited by rich5665; 09-24-2012 at 08:45.
    A.T. Section Hikes

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    A compass? Really?
    It's a scout thing. I always carry one when I hike or camp. The DriDucks Poncho won't cover the entire pack, but then that's why I have a pack liner
    A.T. Section Hikes

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Suggestions... .....dump the heavy water bottle for a gator aid bottle
    A smart water bottle worked better for me, it was tall and skinny making it easy to get in & out of my pack without stopping. Also carried a 1L platypus for backup, never needed it.

Images

I have all my gear that I'm bringing on my NJ Section Hike entered into GearGrams let me know what you think. The weight of my food is not included yet
    Last edited by rich5665; 09-24-2012 at 22:17.
    A.T. Section Hikes

Journal Entries

get rid of pocket knife, get a $1 derma safe knife
    get rid of paper and pencil
    get rid of maps
    get rid of first aid kit, put your own together in a ziplock=3 oz (needle, moleskin, ductape, dental floss unwaxed, bandaids, gauze, ibuprofen, tylenol, benadryl, loperamide)
    i dont think 50'paracord weighs 1.8 oz., thats barely more than spectra weighs.
    get rid of camp towel
    get rid of alcohol wipes
    thats a lot of toilet paper
    dont see a tarp for hammock
    Al tent pegs are too heavy, think Ti
    no spare batteries. Start with new and use sparingly
    xerox pages you need from AT guide, front and back of 11x17 paper and leave guide
    no camera case, put in ziplock
    get rid of filter, us aqua mira
    use lightwt water bottles =0.75 oz each
    use mini bic lighter =0.4 oz
    boots are really heavy
    thats a lot of sock wt
    no real insulating layer!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    get rid of pocket knife, get a $1 derma safe knife
    get rid of paper and pencil
    get rid of maps
    get rid of first aid kit, put your own together in a ziplock=3 oz (needle, moleskin, ductape, dental floss unwaxed, bandaids, gauze, ibuprofen, tylenol, benadryl, loperamide)
    i dont think 50'paracord weighs 1.8 oz., thats barely more than spectra weighs.
    get rid of camp towel
    get rid of alcohol wipes
    thats a lot of toilet paper
    dont see a tarp for hammock
    Al tent pegs are too heavy, think Ti
    no spare batteries. Start with new and use sparingly
    xerox pages you need from AT guide, front and back of 11x17 paper and leave guide
    no camera case, put in ziplock
    get rid of filter, us aqua mira
    use lightwt water bottles =0.75 oz each
    use mini bic lighter =0.4 oz
    boots are really heavy
    thats a lot of sock wt
    no real insulating layer!!!!!
    First realize I'm not a gram weenie. Were I'm at weight wise is half of what I carried last year on a 2 day hike of the trail.

Forgot to move the Tarp into the secondary list
    Read the label wrong it's poly cord and it is 1.8 oz
    Fat fingered the sock weight 2.6oz each
    Didn't realize I put the maps in the list
    Can't afford Ti Stakes at the moment
    New boots, new pack, down UQ/TQ are on my list of future upgrades as funds allow.
    I'll stick with the first aid kit, spare camera batteries and the pack towel. might drop the wipes that's what the towel is for
    I might drop the spare batteries for the head lamp.
    The camera case is fine.
    Not sure what you mean by insulating layer, I have dry wicking thermals or do you mean insulating layers for the hammock, in which case I have an under quilt and a sleeping bag for the top quilt
    A.T. Section Hikes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++