WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Knot that I know of...

After searching the forum, I did come across this site www.animatedknots.com (thanks bigcranky).

I'm sure it may be one of these knots but I'm just not sure. I'm trying to find a knot that I can use to basically draw a rope on itself (or another rope) to make a line taut, pulling the line closer to the knot. For example's sake, say I have a tarp that is tied off so a stake and has some extra line dangling out. Is there a type of knot that I can pull on that extra line to get the slack out, pulling the tarp closer to the stake?

I hope I explained that clearly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Images

You are looking for a Klemheist knot or a Prusik knot. Probably the Klemheist is better (directional) but either will work. On my tarp, I use the Klemheist on all my tie outs.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Garlic
    Images

Here's my favorite for tent guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'll test these out, thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    +1...taught line hitch is a good knot easy to tie, strong .this is the knot that arborists repel in trees with.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    the taught line in the picture has only 1 loop at the bottom ,use two and it wont roll under on you and become tight ,but will hold better good luck

I use a variation of the truckers hitch, I can't begin to describe it. Works really well, though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

I too use a trucker hitch .... FYI there are a few free books for Kindle on knots & spices too. The Hammock forum has tiny aluminum / plastic parts for sale if you don't care for the knots.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

For the record, there are maybe six or eight essential knots. It's worth learning them. I'd say bowline, reef knot, truckers hitch, clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, timber hitch, stopper knot, and a proper shoe tying knot (probably not what you use) would do you well. The Klutz Book of Knots is a good reference. If, Heaven forbid, you need to wear a tie, I'd add the Windsor knot. There, are of course, endless specialty knots.

Another fan of the taut line hitch....

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Another fan of the taut line hitch....
    another handy use for this knot is in your shorts (the kind with the string) tie a taught line hitch in the strings and you will never have a problem with your shorts coming loose when your hiking.they will be adjustable to a very exact setting and not come loose and slide down.keeps me from getting that gald patch between my legs when the shorts slide down.try it you wont go back to that sloppy bow style again.

Good thread on a subject that's not given enough consideration.

My essentials list is: bowline, clove hitch, prusik, trucker's hitch, tautline hitch, midshipman's hitch.

Annimatedknots is a great site.

Images

Historically (and practically speaking) the "taut line hitch" is a knot created by and used almost exclusively by the Boy Scouts of America, and in fact Ashley's Book of Knots, considered the standard inclusive work of all knots does not include it at all. Most of the rest of the world uses the "midshipman's hitch." The two are almost the same except for one slight difference; the "tautline hitch has 3 loops all of which are wound the same direction. By comparison, the "midshipman's hitch, starts the same but the last loop is wound in the opposite direction, creating a better bind on the knot.

The reason I do not use either of these is that when I am setting up (often in the dark, as I will be doing tonight), my knots are already tied. All I have to do is place my stakes and tighten. I am capeable (and practiced) at tieing knots blindfolded, but there is a secondary reason for this setup. As I don't have a long slipped loop around my stake, I can use a shorter length of line on all 4 of my tarp tie outs. Less line equals less weight. I estimate I saved close to 2 ounces by switching to the Klemheist on my tarp.

Here are two pictures of this setup. The yellow of the Klemheist did washed out some, but you get the idea.

DSCN0135.JPG DSCN0133.JPG

No pictures of the opposite end, but attached there is a 6" lenght of 1/16" shock cord, which works particularly well with the hammock trap. Hope that helps you see how I am set this up.
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 09-14-2012 at 09:28.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Historically (and practically speaking) the "taut line hitch" is a knot created by and used almost exclusively by the Boy Scouts of America, and in fact Ashley's Book of Knots, considered the standard inclusive work of all knots does not include it at all. Most of the rest of the world uses the "midshipman's hitch." The two are almost the same except for one slight difference; the "tautline hitch has 3 loops all of which are wound the same direction. By comparison, the "midshipman's hitch, starts the same but the last loop is wound in the opposite direction, creating a better bind on the knot.

The reason I do not use either of these is that when I am setting up (often in the dark, as I will be doing tonight), my knots are already tied. All I have to do is place my stakes and tighten. I am capeable (and practiced) at tieing knots blindfolded, but there is a secondary reason for this setup. As I don't have a long slipped loop around my stake, I can use a shorter length of line on all 4 of my tarp tie outs. Less line equals less weight. I estimate I saved close to 2 ounces by switching to the Klemheist on my tarp.

Here are two pictures of this setup. The yellow of the Klemheist did washed out some, but you get the idea.

DSCN0135.JPG DSCN0133.JPG

No pictures of the opposite end, but attached there is a 6" lenght of 1/16" shock cord, which works particularly well with the hammock trap. Hope that helps you see how I am set this up.
    That's a clever setup.

im changing to your set up buffalo skipper thanks for posting.my set up is similar, but the knot slides on the string not fixed to the tarp.

I must be doing some of these wrong. Whenever I practice some of these line that is already taut is the one that needs to be pulled (like a noose style). There's got to be something where I can pull the loose end and it draws everything together. Any thoughts? I do appreciate all the input with everything. I'll definitely check into those resources aforementioned.

Images

In the photo, I used two pieces of line. One for the Klemheist (or Prusik) and one for the "rest" of the draw line. It is possible to do this with a single line, making a slip type knot. Just take the bitter end of a line, make a bight, and use the bight to make the Klemheist. Another way to do this is to make a bight with one end, and make your Klemheist around a pencil, and keep it loose. Then slip the other end of the line through and remove the pencil and snug up the knot.

Also, whilst I'm thinking about it. What does everyone use for shock cord? Shock cord specifically or do the pros think a common hair tie work?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    Also, whilst I'm thinking about it. What does everyone use for shock cord? Shock cord specifically or do the pros think a common hair tie work?
    If there is enough wind to want shock cord, I would want the real thing.

Images

The reason that shock cord is desirable (prehaps more so with hammock tarps, but also with tents and tent-tarps) is that silnylon and to a lesser extent polyeurethane coated nylon, will stretch slightly when under load. So if there is any wind, the fabric will stretch and the lines will be a bit slack in the morning. Using a short piece of shock cord at the end reduces that tension and can tighten to make up for any fabric stretch. I now have a cuben tarp, which has effectively no stretch, so the necessity for shock cord is really greatly reduced.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++