WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Poison Ivy Question

I've noticed in the ATC data book that poison ivy seems pretty prevalent in the section from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry. Has anyone got input on that?
    "Sea Eagle"

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Last year it was real bad around Swatara Gap / I 81 area. It covered the trail and there was no way to avoid it.
    I didn't notice it was a problem around Front Royal / Harpers Ferry.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I hiked from FR to HF this August. I'm familiar with poison ivy, and saw very few plants on the footpath.

Cosmo

Journal Entries
    Images

Debbie its everywhere! check out the images for that and Poison Oak.... general avoidance is best. However - some folks like myself deliberately rub some 2x a year to keep immunity.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hiked Harper's Ferry to Front Royal last week - I'm still itching!

Images

Three leaves and shiny means its not for your hiney...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Thanks for the info, everyone. Maybe its not right on the trail but I need to be careful where I stop to rest/camp.
    I know what it looks like fortunately; but I'll check images of poison oak.

This May, it was everywhere in the pasture just south of Va. 630-even growing on the stiles you have to climb over. I barely had room to squeeze through on one side. Near the hiker campground in Glasgow, Va. it had just about taken over an entire tree.
    "Sea Eagle"

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I get it bad and I know what it looks like. I got very little of it last year on my thru.
    It is everywhere, especially when it gets late in the summer after it's had a chance to grow all season.
    When you step off the trail keep an eye out for it.

Saw someone last year that had apparently laid their pack in it and then put it on. They ended up with a rash all over their back!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Ick! That poor hiker. That's right; you have to consider not just yourself but where you put your equipment. Then, remember to be careful handling boots, gaiters, trekking poles, etc.
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Ick! That poor hiker. That's right; you have to consider not just yourself but where you put your equipment. Then, remember to be careful handling boots, gaiters, trekking poles, etc.
    research jewel weed and how to use it and you will not need to fear p i again anywhere..good luck

Thanks, Hairbear; I did look it up.
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Thanks, Hairbear; I did look it up.
    it works very well for me i no longer suffer from p i just crush the stem and put the juice on it as soon as you feel the itch moments later you wont even remember you had it on you.strip jewel weed to the stem and carry the stem with you as you hike.

I love the fact that poison ivy has no affect on me. I don't even look for it. I freaked out a hiking partner once by setting up tent right in a patch.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Crap - another good reason to wear long pants. With bad exposures my immune system goes haywire. Last time was after a weekend at North Manitou Island. It took a few trips to the Dr. and steroids to clear it up. The reaction was so bad, the nurse refused to believe that it was PI.

Hardly anthing grows in Maine, not even poison ivy.

Images

If you get a bad reaction to it, I highly recommend a product available at drug stores called Zanfel. It shortened my last outbreak from the normal 2-3 weeks to a few days. It's pricey, but worth it.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    If you get a bad reaction to it, I highly recommend a product available at drug stores called Zanfel. It shortened my last outbreak from the normal 2-3 weeks to a few days. It's pricey, but worth it.
    I have used Ivy Dry, which works on the rash OK. But the Zanfel literature says it doesn't help with a systemic reaction, which is what I think I am prone to. Odd, because I am not typically very allergic to anything else.

Zanfel is purportedly the same as http://www.meangreen.com/. I have a huge tub of it, and do find that it works reasonably well. Also be aware that an individual can go from highly reactive, to not at all reactive, to anywhere in between throughout his lifetime, so even if you are not currently susceptible it is not a great idea to tempt fate.

++ New Posts ++