WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trail\User name stories What is yours?

I'm sure this thread has been done here before so delete this or move it if nedded.

Well.. my "name" comes from what is likley the most valuable lesson learned from shorthanded sailing and hiking over long distances. It is all too easy to become wound up in the "what if's" and "just in cases" and lose the reason why you are out there.
    I am reminded of a tale in which a snack in a pocket overcame the splendor of the day.

A friend, who I suspect thinks I spend too much time in the bush, loaned me Bill Bryson's, A Walk in the Woods, the author's account of his hike along the length of the Appalachian Trail - some 2200 miles. I'm still in Georgia, he is following spring north, but I get the drift - the bush is a scary place, laden with weirdoes and woollies. He's good humored about it, it's a very funny book, but the message is clear - one enters into natures realm at one's risk. He has a particular fetish about black bears, devoting most of an early chapter to his scrupulous research of bears feasting on unwary wanderers. It seems they are particularly fond of Snicker bar carriers. That got my attention - I almost always tuck an emergency ration Snicker bar in my pocket when I boot up for the bush.

So, yesterday, when I set aside good sense, and yielded to the sirens luring me to snow capped Mt Baldy, I left the Snickers in camp. Of course, the odds of encountering a Keweenaw black bear in February are no better than my fortune in the Packer pools, but with the warmth of this winter, one never knows. Perhaps lured from his or her den by the appearance, or maybe the reality, of winter ending, stomach growling from too much fasting, pa or ma bear might be out looking for someone to eat. The pickings are pretty slim in February - not many tasty bipedals wandering about this time of year. Under these meager circumstances, even an old geezer like me might look pretty tempting.

I think Bryson is a bit paranoid about all this canine chomping, but his research is compelling. I once thought that if accosted by a bear, one could avoid the inevitable by playing dead. Bryson says that only sometimes work with grizzlies (who seemingly are in it for the hunt), never with black bears. Black bears, the kind we have, are harvesters, compulsive nibblers. Of course, no one I know has ever been eaten by a bear, nor is spooky story telling time around late night beach fires laced with bear attack stories, but perhaps the subject is taboo. Would anyone ever confess that a bear had eaten a kin or acquaintance? Such accounts would also surely put a damper on our tourist trade, perhaps resulting in the closing of our beloved Harbor inn. The Gazette is ominously quiet on the subject.

So I properly prepared myself for yesterday's trek. No sweet smelling soap for my morning shower; fresh unscented clothing for warmth; coat pockets and gloves combed for evidence of cookie or old Snicker bar crumbs. I even substituted plain old water for my usual bottle of sugary Coke. I equipped myself with a sturdy and sharp pointed old ski pole, thinking I might, so armed, be a match for an emaciated bear. As a last resort strategy, I tucked a couple of granola bars, laced with my most powerful angina painkillers, into a tightly sealed plastic bag. This might serve as an alternative snack item for the hungry bear, allowing me a few moments of idle chatter with my adversary as the drug took effect - then stealing away as the bear went into the land of Oz.

Well, as is evident by the happy event of my being here to write this account, I managed to spend several hours in the spring-tinged winter bush without becoming an entr�e at a bear feast. Whether the result of my careful preparation, or the absence of fuzzy diners, I know not. I suppose one might question the basic premise, the bear's propensity for people snacks. Bryson is careful to note that the incidence of bears dining on their superior specie is rare, but I suppose if I shared that bit of knowledge with a bear about to chomp on my nicely toned pot belly, the bear would simply say, "So this is my lucky day!"

My trek, while uneventful as a dining experience, was not without some misfortune. As I ambled back to camp, my own hunger pains beginning to mount, I absentmindedly reached into my pocket, pulled out a delicious looking granola bar, and chomped it down. Ten minutes later I was bathing in Cedar Creek, unable to keep my balance as I attempted to cross the creek by walking along a downed tree - a trick of little consequence a few hours earlier. I bet the stalking bears thought it funny. "

So anyhow,
    Slow down the mind not the body, When in the bush the moment at hand will ,without exeption,never be re-vistited under any circumstances. Live in the now and contemplate later at another time.
    That is what inspired Slow Mind

Writing credit to a dearly missed friend:
    http://eagleharborweb.net/

Hum... interesting story Slow Mind. My name is not that exciting at all. I'm HikerMom because I'm a hiker & a hiker's mom. KD is my intials. My trail name is Angel b/c when I'm not hiking I like to reach out to hikers with free shuttles, ramdom acts of kindness etc.. Everyone that hikes with me says that my trail name suits me but my daughter said I should be "Spanish Inquisition". I love meeting new people & I'm interested in "their story". I ask lots of questions just because I'm interested in them. If you don't want to share, I'm really good at picking up on "vibes" so I don't push for "stories" if the person doesn't want to share.... that's my "name" story.

I picked my user name as it implies that person who is left off the team. Right now my personal situation isn't allowing me time for long distance hiking. But sometime in the future I hope I will, at which point I either won't fit in with everyone else and still be the "odd man out" or people might just think I am and an odd man out on the trail, or if nothing else, it rhymes with my real name ( ___odd man out). Multiple meanings.

Images

My user name is a combination of my first name and my birth date. My trail name fishbait was given ro me by my niece. While discussing my upcoming hike during vacation, ny wifes aunt asked what my trail name was. I said I don't have one yet and my niece chimed in, "Well they should call you Fishbait".

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2
    A.T. Section Hikes
    NJ: Oct. 7 - 13, 2012 - Completed
    CT: Apr. 28 - May 1, 2013 - Completed
    NY: Fall 2013 - roughly 14 mile left to go

My Current Base Pack Weight

Registered User Virginia Archer's Avatar

Screen Name - Well I'm from Virginia and Shot competitive Archery from 01 till 2010. I go by Archer or VA Archer for alot of things, But still open to a Trail name. Haven't been given one just yet and haven't decided whether or not to just stick with Archer!

Images

When I thru-hiked, I had a very bad trail name - I never liked it. It was boring and very generic. If anyone wants to P/M me, I'll tell you what it was - - it's how I'm listed in the ATC record. I spent a long time after my thru-hike doing other outdoor things - especially rock climbing and mountaineering - - backpacking and camping was usually just an adjunct to a rock climbing or sometimes a whitewater kayaking trip. At some point (about 2009) I re-affirmed my desire to just hike - especially to hike long distances - - I would often do over 100 miles on the AT and other trails in a week but didn't use my old trail name.
    For a number of years I also ran outdoor programs for teenagers - mostly subcontracting to a particular summer camp but at other times through a climbing guide service or occasionally running my own gigs. When I hit my early to mid 40s, I took a little too much pride in the fact that I could almost always outpace 15,16, and 17 year old kids - I could typically run as fast or faster, swim faster, climb harder, etc. and probably acted like I thought I was just another one of the kids a little too much. A very savvy 15 year old girl named Rachel (a.k.a. Moose) picked up on this and started calling me Papa D as a dig (kind of like ok, PAPA - you old man). It was really very funny and they started calling me that. It seemed like a good fit and being a long-distance AT hiker and former thru-hiker in need of a new trail-name, I adopted it on the Long Trail in 2010.

Journal Entries

Hey, I'm Drifter - close to finishing my career of 30+ years behind a desk but managed to fly or"drift" hot air balloons for 26 years in my spare time before giving it up in 2004 to return to my boyhood passion of hiking.

Got named Speedy by the AT northbounder Video who I hiked the first 100mi or so of the Long trail with while he was on the AT. I would either beat him to wherever we were going or catch up quickly if I stopped for something. He'd always tell me "get up front Speedy, you're faster"

Images

Use this name for everything. It was my dungeons and dragons character in the 80s, and I almost never run into the problem of it being used already. It's an Internet name, I don't have a trail name.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I'd have to show you

Insatiable thirst, given by my brother on PA section, 1978. (Added initials for user name, Thirsty was already issued.) For many years Thirsty defined me. Not that anyone is interested, pic was taken in Cooperstown, NY, headwaters of the Susquehanna. This spring I finished my bucket list thru paddle of the Susquehanna to Havre de Grace, MD, on the Chesapeake, 444 miles, 9.5 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I chose Prime Time for my user name because next year I plan on doing a thru hike. It's prime time for me because I will turn 60, I'm retired, and I've had my entire adult life to dream about having the time, resources, and support of loved ones to hike the AT. I've kept myself in pretty good shape and spent a lifetime hiking and backpacking through the White Mountains of New Hampshire where I have had the opportunity to talk with and spend time with thru hikers every summer who always encourage and inspire me to go for it.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

I got my trail name because no matter how early I start off...or how short the hike is supposed to be most of the time some part of the hike will take place in the dark. Even when I have the choice, I much prefer to do some of my hiking at night using a red beam headlight...that way I get to see more of the critters!
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Images

​................................
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

My user/trail name is how I dress my feet. Began doing it years ago b4 I did my thru and was looking for a name for the trail. An old GF noticed my feet one day on a hike in NH and suggested the name. I liked it and have had it on all long hikes ever since.
    Have yet to meet or hear of any other hiker with same trail name.

My trail name and user name are the same. It came from an episode with a flip-flop and a mouse at Lance Creek in Ga. I'll let you figure it out.

Images

Default trail names

It seemed like every time I went backpacking on the AT with my buddy Walter, we'd get hit with a blizzard or ice storm or some such calamity. One trip he was reading a copy of "The Road" while we were stuck in the shelter. From then on he has been known as "Donner Party"

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    It seemed like every time I went backpacking on the AT with my buddy Walter, we'd get hit with a blizzard or ice storm or some such calamity. One trip he was reading a copy of "The Road" while we were stuck in the shelter. From then on he has been known as "Donner Party"
    Interesting... but inquiring minds want to know why you are called Llama Legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    My trail name and user name are the same. It came from an episode with a flip-flop and a mouse at Lance Creek in Ga. I'll let you figure it out.
    Did you win one of those cheap carnival prizes?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++