WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Solar Chargers

Default Solar Chargers

Brunton SolarRoll Flexible Solar Panel

?Has anyone used this for their thru? I have a Garmin 650t and need something for this and my blackberry. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Images

There's not enough direct sunlight on the AT to make a solar charger worth the weight or hassle. You won't need your Garmin either. Just keep your phone off until you absolutely need it and charge it in town! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries

It terms of weight I think you will find it better to carry extra batteries then a solar charger if you run the numbers.

Images

This works for me and my Iphone!http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-Du.../dp/B004AM1OK4I usually get about 4 full phone charges! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Khike

Yo! I bought a Solio solar charger-60 bucks. I put it on the fence outside in the am and it took all day -10 hrs or more to get a 90 percent charge and it was in bright sunlight all day long. I even went out and turned it every few hrs to make sure it was facing the sun. Pretty worthless for hiking. That New-Trent charger is nice. They sell something like that at Radioshack for 20 bucks that is smaller and will charge your iphone 1 and a half times. They come in different sizes. Apparently the New- Trent is one of the bigger ones and lots of people make them and in different sizes. I use the radioshack one on the trail and it works great. Gotta have a usb port to charge it, though. Takes a long time to charge those doodads too, like 4 to 6 hrs. They make some that you load with AA batteries and then you can charge your iphone and replace the bats. Those would be easier but more wgt to carry what with the batteries. Just my 2 cents. kevin

Images

I've got a little charger for my iPhone that runs off 4AA batteries. New batteries will completely charge the phone once, with a little left over. Then you could chuck the dead ones and buy new ones if you needed them. Empty the charger weighs an couple of ounces or so...it's just plastic and is slightly bigger than the batteries.
    My gps runs off two AAs, but it will last a good while, especially with lithiums.
    Ive seen many solar charger threads, most seem to echo the same sentiment. They just aren't for the AT.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries
    Images

I did a lot of reading and experimenting with large lightweight panels - never got it to work stationery in the yard for Blackberry. New solutions are on the horizon with a few companies, The Bruton you are mentioning is from a few years ago - suggest you hold off.

look at getting lithium's and a extra battery for your phone (lightest answer)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

I bought one at REI to keep my cell phone and iPod charged when I'm in Alaska...in the Summer, when the days are really long. It's a "Solio Classic Solar Charger with LED Light", about the size of a computer mouse when stowed and currently priced @ around $40:
    http://www.rei.com/product/800146/so...with-led-light
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Journal Entries
    Images

yea but how well did it work?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Wanted to point out another option is a stove that also has a USB output for recharging devices. Sort of on the heavy side but perhaps not when you consider the weight of the solar panel u are planning.
    http://biolitestove.com/

biolite stove has been shot down by many reviewers as not worth it..

Check this one out. It's a bit heavy, but it won't break. I've used it on the trail w/ my iphone and I get at least 4 full charges out of it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/portabl...121130?item=42

Actually I have the 9000mah pack....

Quote Originally Posted by dturb View Post
    Check this one out. It's a bit heavy, but it won't break. I've used it on the trail w/ my iphone and I get at least 4 full charges out of it.

And to charge the external battery when its dead you just have to plug it into an outlet correct?

Correct. But it's big enough that it will last until you hit a town and find an outlet.

Images

150 grams and will charge the iPhone three and a half times. http://www.newtrent.com/store/iphone...ry-imp60d.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dturb View Post

Batteries from DX are almost universally over rated, especially when the type of cells aren't disclosed. Given the dimensions, I'm more convinced that it's highly over rated. Those dimensions leave room for no more than two 18650 lithium ion batteries. The best lithium ion batteries have 3300 mah capacity and cost between $13-20 each, so at best this battery pack has 6600 mah with cells worth $26. What's more likely is that this thing has recycled cells from a used laptop battery, with a capacity around 4000 mah. Fortunately the iPhone battery is only around 1400 mah, so you should be able to get around 3 full charges.

Sorry to shoot you down, it's just that DX is awful about the capacity of their batteries. People should know that before sending their money to DX.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    yea but how well did it work?
    It worked well enough to charge my cell phone and iPod...after long hours in the sun during those long Alaskan days.

I don't know how practical it would be for backpacking, unless a way was rigged up to let it "catch some rays" while hiking.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

CF97 > Everything Else.

Extra batteries will be lighter and cheaper.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Journal Entries
    Images

Fireneck you are right - a spare battery is ul and holds a charge well over a month.... If I am hiking and the smart phone IS the GPS it gets a little more than 8 hours... with all the other features in off - cant do airplane mode as that turns the gps sensor off. So I am working on a very UL solution to bypass the charging regulator software so a panel can charge while hiking.... I can honestly tell you I am being a gram weenie about this.

Woo

++ New Posts ++