WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Defining Trail Magic

The latest AT Jouney's magazine has a great article on Wade Chandler AKA Catfish.
    The article starts out by defining Trail magic. I'm quoting here- Trail Magic-- it's an unexpected ride to town, an encouraging word from a fellow hiker, an awe-inspiring sunrise the morning after you've decided to quit. Coined by distance hikers, Trail magic is any event that lifts a hiker's spirits. Little things make a big differences on the Trail: free lemonade, water, or ice cream can be all it takes to convince a thru-hiker to keep going.....

I also believe that trail magic can start before a thru-hiker ever steps his/her foot on the trail. I'm really proud of all the "boys and girls" on this site that freely give of themselves with their time, knowledge and encouraging words to members on this site. "Trail magic spreads like fire. It can burn inside a person who spreads it to others--perhaps, without even knowing so. Kudos to all the members that freely give trail magic often on White Blaze.

trail magic is the human name we give to something intangible. it is what it is. and its a good thing!

Images

When you give,you get back tenfold.

Support and Encouragement with random acts of kindness to keep the hiker motivated and happy as they keep trucking.

Images

Great post HikerMom KD. Although some WB members may wish to define trail magic in their own definitive terms, I am in complete agreement with you that trail magic cannot be defined with any single narrow definition. It can be different things to different people. Anything from a simple encouraging word at the appropriate time, a nice meal or treat, a beautiful view, or any number of different things. Also, the great thing is that the magic can be just as much on the giving end as it is on the receiving end. Thank God for those willing to give of their time and resources to perform these random acts of kindness. The world could benefit from more of these unselfish type of actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    trail magic is the human name we give to something intangible. it is what it is. and its a good thing!
    Without getting too indepth on this subject. TRAIL MAGIC is a helping hand when you're down and out. Glass of lemonade when you need a lift. Snickers bar or handshake when you're feeling alone. Ride when you want to feel the breeze in you're hair...quicker then what it gets when you hike. Think still this SUBJECT is on a per hiker basis. Its whatever that certain person feels. Could be a paid for bus ticket home...to simply watching someones gear when they go for water alone.

Trail Magic is food.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Without getting too indepth on this subject. TRAIL MAGIC is a helping hand when you're down and out. Glass of lemonade when you need a lift. Snickers bar or handshake when you're feeling alone. Ride when you want to feel the breeze in you're hair...quicker then what it gets when you hike. Think still this SUBJECT is on a per hiker basis. Its whatever that certain person feels. Could be a paid for bus ticket home...to simply watching someones gear when they go for water alone.
    Yeah IB... you got it. It's also like you said, it's also the intangable things like someone watching your gear for you. It's not limited to "trail angels" doing some "trail magic". You may have offered it yourself without realizing how much an encouraging comment, that you made on here, helped someone that was planning on hiking the trail in the future. Thanks for ur imput.

Moldy- food is by far the most popular form of trail magic.

Thanks T-Rx... I thought it was a really good explanation of what trail magic is... it's not always what we can even plan out or think of ourselves. I'm impressed with how many people on here give of themselves... they don't know how much encouragement and friendship is appreciated It goes unnoticed. I wanted to shed some light on it.

Journal Entries

Best trail magic I've seen so far is from the Beer Stein in Wind Gap,Pa. What a great guy.
    Also all of the water that is stashed in places is a huge plus.

Journal Entries

I know for me also that whenever I was either sectioning or just doing an overnight on the AT in the Smokies (I live in East TN), I felt just as good if not BETTER about giving a thru-hiker some food or spices or toilet paper as I'm sure they did getting it. Cannot wait to experience my own trail magic on my thru-hike this March!

Journal Entries

Trail magic is providence providing what you need the most, just when you need it.

One word- love.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    One word- love.
    Very succinct and well put spokes. I was just disappointed you didn't have a website link also attached LOL!

heheheheheheeeee

http://youtu.be/SKm5xQyD2vE
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-20-2012 at 20:15.

Fishing Fred and others cooking a mess of pancakes along with a huge pot of hot coffee just after a very early morning cold climb over Albert Mountain. That early morning feast defined trail magic for a whole bunch of cold and hungry hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRat09 View Post
    I know for me also that whenever I was either sectioning or just doing an overnight on the AT in the Smokies (I live in East TN), I felt just as good if not BETTER about giving a thru-hiker some food or spices or toilet paper as I'm sure they did getting it. Cannot wait to experience my own trail magic on my thru-hike this March!

That is very cool ParkRat09.... I just happened to see that u are on the 2013 thru hiker registry. Yes, it will be good to experience that trail magic for yourself. I'll try to keep a watch out for all the hikers I know on WB... just when u need it the most.

This just popped up on the FB home page... it's a good article.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...0OM/story.html

To me the thing that always gets me is the timing. Magic is always perfectly timed. I did about 30 miles of my thru with my Mother, and I do about another 30 with her every year. THis past year we started at the James River and I set up a stash of Soda and Snickers. Later that day met a couple folks who got to enjoy it, that was cool. Two days later we are crossing wiggins spring rd and she is losing moto, and two of those folks pull up in their pick up with soda and snickers. If it had been 2 minutes different we woulda missed them. I guess you know magic when you see it but the timing is what always gets me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    The latest AT Jouney's magazine has a great article on Wade Chandler AKA Catfish.
    The article starts out by defining Trail magic. I'm quoting here- Trail Magic-- it's an unexpected ride to town, an encouraging word from a fellow hiker, an awe-inspiring sunrise the morning after you've decided to quit. Coined by distance hikers, Trail magic is any event that lifts a hiker's spirits. Little things make a big differences on the Trail: free lemonade, water, or ice cream can be all it takes to convince a thru-hiker to keep going.....

I also believe that trail magic can start before a thru-hiker ever steps his/her foot on the trail. I'm really proud of all the "boys and girls" on this site that freely give of themselves with their time, knowledge and encouraging words to members on this site. "Trail magic spreads like fire. It can burn inside a person who spreads it to others--perhaps, without even knowing so. Kudos to all the members that freely give trail magic often on White Blaze.
    +1 HM
    The concept of trail magic is not confined to the AT but definitely has it's roots there.
    Here my son and I are trying to get the concept of "track magic" happenning on the Bibbulmun Track nearby to us.
    I must say we have been amazed by how good WE feel when we successfully give someone a boost out there.
    It really gives you a great feeling when you become a highlight in someones day.

++ New Posts ++