WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thank you bw I appreciate the reminder.

You have a blessed day.

Good morning Karl, maybe I didn't explain correctly, the hike is already covered, between my wife an I we have managed to save enough money to keep the home place functioning for about a year. If I had the funds to start the organization, get the living quarters, set up the classes, get the thrift store and pantry ready to run, purchase the items that we need for the activities for the kids, I probably wouldn't be doing this hike at this point. The only reason that I believed this can be successful is if I am sending video feeds from the trail to our website, it may give people a desire to help and get involved. That is what we are praying for. I know the opening statement about sponsors and hiking stuff rubbed alot of you the wrong way, I never intended that. I prefer your prayers over any contacts for trail food or anything else for that matter. As far as my daughter is concerned I didn't even know she was a member here, but I am glad she is. I have three daughters, 2 nurses in training and a teacher, I am very proud of them becasue they got to grew up in a house full of Love, they always had food, and clothing, and they had parents by the grace of God that have been together for 25 years. I am truly blessed. I want to share that with other people who may not have any other options. The Bible says very clearly in Galatians 6:2 what all of our responsabilities in this life are. Everyone aught to make that a part of their Bible study this morning.

To all have a blessed beautiful Sunday morning.

Jobe

Here a unique idea for fund raising. How about you stay where you are, roll up your sleaves, actually put your dream into action and video that for the next 6 months and put that on the internet. Ask for donations as you are acually doing something, More people would give to you acually doing the work you dream of than walking in the woods away from everything for 6 months. Just a little something to think about.

Images

at thru hike cost about 4000 dollars. don't you think you could use that money more effectively at home?

I'm suprised this thread isn't locked down yet.

Jobe, if you want to spend your money on a thru-hike, that's fine. Justify it anyway you want, just don't promote it as a fund rising effort. You might not be rising money for the hike it's self, but you do want to use it to rise money or you would not have started a thread entited "Hiking for single mothers..."

If your really serious about starting your charity, do what Canoe suggests. Put your money and effort into your cause, not a personal vacation, which has a good chance of not getting very far up the trail anyway. Come back in a couple of years and tell us all the good things you've done to help these poor woman - then go on a hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Here a unique idea for fund raising. How about you stay where you are, roll up your sleeves, actually put your dream into action and video that for the next 6 months and put that on the internet. Ask for donations as you are actually doing something, More people would give to you actually doing the work you dream of than walking in the woods away from everything for 6 months. Just a little something to think about.
    Actually it's not that unique - it's very similar to what I suggested in Post # 28 to which the OP chose not to respond despite responding to most other posters' "suggestions," some of which were - to put it mildly - much less affirmative...

Quote Originally Posted by appalachianboy View Post
    Good morning Karl, maybe I didn't explain correctly, the hike is already covered, between my wife an I we have managed to save enough money to keep the home place functioning for about a year. If I had the funds to start the organization, get the living quarters, set up the classes, get the thrift store and pantry ready to run, purchase the items that we need for the activities for the kids, I probably wouldn't be doing this hike at this point. The only reason that I believed this can be successful is if I am sending video feeds from the trail to our website, it may give people a desire to help and get involved. That is what we are praying for. I know the opening statement about sponsors and hiking stuff rubbed alot of you the wrong way, I never intended that. I prefer your prayers over any contacts for trail food or anything else for that matter. As far as my daughter is concerned I didn't even know she was a member here, but I am glad she is. I have three daughters, 2 nurses in training and a teacher, I am very proud of them becasue they got to grew up in a house full of Love, they always had food, and clothing, and they had parents by the grace of God that have been together for 25 years. I am truly blessed. I want to share that with other people who may not have any other options. The Bible says very clearly in Galatians 6:2 what all of our responsabilities in this life are. Everyone aught to make that a part of their Bible study this morning.

To all have a blessed beautiful Sunday morning.

Jobe
    ...and this quote explains why - you somehow think that videos of you hiking the AT will more likely move people to contribute and get involved than face-to-face interaction? On this point, I do believe you're delusional.

I'm still not second-guessing your motives or intentions but I can see why others say that you seem more interested in the hike than the project.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 09-23-2012 at 12:23.

Images

it was mentioned in an earlier post how one guy hiked the AT and raised over $1000!!
    well if, on the average, a thru hike costs roughly 3-4 thousand dollars. wouldnt he have done better just staying home?
    its the reason that i gave up the idea myself, i realized that it was more about me hiking the at and feeling good about helping others at the same time, than any specific cause i had,(and I didnt even have one, at least the OP does).
    Put you and your family's passion directly into the cause and i believe youll have much more success.

Images

I'd have to concur that this seems like a bad way to express your passion for your newly created non profit. By all means, hike if you want, but don't wrap it up in a "worthy cause + Jesus" blanket. Who is your target here? Do you plan on approaching other hikers and sell them on this "cause" in the hopes they give you a handout? Not sure I understand where you think donations are going to come from. Folks back home, I'd imagine, would be more likely to give money to support your organization if you are in the community actually building said organization, not out in the woods pursuing personal goals.

At any rate, HYOH, and best of luck whatever you do.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    it was mentioned in an earlier post how one guy hiked the AT and raised over $1000!!
    well if, on the average, a thru hike costs roughly 3-4 thousand dollars. wouldnt he have done better just staying home?
    its the reason that i gave up the idea myself, i realized that it was more about me hiking the at and feeling good about helping others at the same time, than any specific cause i had,(and I didnt even have one, at least the OP does).
    Put you and your family's passion directly into the cause and i believe youll have much more success.
    Yes, Hikerboy.. someone I knew hiked the trail & raised $1,000 for a good cause... He would have hiked the trail, reguardless. Ok, so here's the deal-E-0- I believe that someone can hike the trail on their own dime. Just like my friend- he hiked, paid for his own hike. on his own, and gave the $1,000 he raised to the charity after the hike. I hope this clears up the confusion once and for all.

As far as the comments about the faith part... Sorry guys, you're showing your true colors when you" poo-poo" someone's faith. It just looks bad on you...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Yes, Hikerboy.. someone I knew hiked the trail & raised $1,000 for a good cause... He would have hiked the trail, reguardless. Ok, so here's the deal-E-0- I believe that someone can hike the trail on their own dime. Just like my friend- he hiked, paid for his own hike. on his own, and gave the $1,000 he raised to the charity after the hike. I hope this clears up the confusion once and for all.

As far as the comments about the faith part... Sorry guys, you're showing your true colors when you" poo-poo" someone's faith. It just looks bad on you...
    i understand hikermom, but his own dime cost about 3 or 4 grand.

Images

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=392776 Jobe did you attempt the hike in 2010, and if you did, why has it taken so long to get: 1023 for the nonprofit organization?

Images

Best case scenerio sees the OP obtaining gear that actually will get him up the trail. He still needs money to buy food,make mail drops,shuttles,possible repairs to gear,replenish toiletry items .

I agree with others about this expense being such an undertaking.

Good Luck !
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 09-23-2012 at 15:25.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

KK and chief - I care about you and what you think, you guys are important 2. I'm going to ask you guys, where's the respect? where's the love? It's something we all want... And what we sow, we reap. I know you guys are better people, than how you are coming across....
    Jeez, I'd really like to be a better person, but with all those single moms out there....

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Jeez, I'd really like to be a better person, but with all those single moms out there....
    Don't tell me that's why not many people know your real name... sorry I couldn't resist!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD:1341045
    Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Don't tell me that's why not many people know your real name... sorry I couldn't resist!
    One in every port?

I hiked the Georgia section of the AT before my wife became ill in 2010. I came off in North Carolina. The application for the 1023 was filed in July 2012 and they told me when I filed it would be between 3 and 6 months getting approval, the IRS sent me a letter last week informing me there was three groups that they class the 1023 in (ready, almost ready, not close to ready.) They didn't tell me which group we were in they just gave me the time possibilities of the approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    One in every port?
    You guys must be thinking of another member of this forum, chiefdaddy.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the comments and everyone who took the time to reply to this thread, I never realized that I would feel the way that I do at this point only posting a couple of days ago, I will share one more thing with you all and then I will bow out of your threads, you have definately reafirmed what I already knew, there is good and bad in everyone. I came here never claiming to be anything but someone who wants to try to help a group that definately needs it. I have spent the bulk of my time since I got here trying to defend myself to folks that don't even know me. The only thing I have to say is this I spend my time on my knees everyday seeking guidance in this life that I am no more sure of than the next sunrise, but I will not judge you, I will instead spend my time trying to clean around my own porch that most of you have pointed out is absolutely filthy. A litlle cleaning never hurt anyone. I am sorry for the disruption, and in this heart that you don't know I pray that each one of your are blessed in your endeavors whatever they may be.

God bless you all at WB

Jobe

Hello all at Whiteblaze, I have been a member here for a while but I have never posted or had anything to share until now. I am currently waiting for approval of our 1023 for the nonprofit organization that I have started called Mountain Care Fellowship Foundation Inc. this organization will benefit single mothers with dependent children obtain temporary living quarters that they may purchase after a 10 month program in which they will attend a variety of life improvement classes such as GED completion, computer classes, cooking, canning, self improvement, how to handle job interviews, resume building, along with many other classes to make them more self sufficient. We will also try to link them to employers in their areas to get them some OJT with the possibilty of gaining full time employment after the program is complete. We will offer the children after school tutoring to help them in any classes that they may be having problems with. We will also offer overnight hiking trips for the kids to use as motivational and confidence building blocks, that allow them to enjoy the outdoors and beauty that has been provided to all of us but not readily available to them. We will have faith building classes along with Bible studies, that include the keys to this life, we will also have mentoring classes, and time for the children just to be kids while offering them a safe haven from issues that we hope to help them leave behind. I will begin a north bound thru hike on Feb. 20th 2013 to benefit this organization and will be sending video feeds from the trail to our website, twitter, facebook, and youtube, that will cover life from the A.T. and the different things that are encountered by doing a thru hike. I look forward to Feb. and getting started on this most worthwhile adventure. If you can help we thank you in advance, if you pray please throw one out there for us, if you see me on the A.T. please take time to talk. I will need all the prayers and support I can get on this thru hike knowing that I will be away from my own family for 6 months, I truly believe what the Bible says in Galatians 6:2 "Bear ye each others burdens and so fulfill the laws of Christ" I hike under the name Jobe and I look forward to seeing all of you out on the trail in 2013.

God bless
    Thanks for all the comments and everyone who took the time to reply to this thread, I never realized that I would feel the way that I do at this point only posting a couple of days ago, I will share one more thing with you all and then I will bow out of your threads, you have definately reafirmed what I already knew, there is good and bad in everyone. I came here never claiming to be anything but someone who wants to try to help a group that definately needs it. I have spent the bulk of my time since I got here trying to defend myself to folks that don't even know me. The only thing I have to say is this I spend my time on my knees everyday seeking guidance in this life that I am no more sure of than the next sunrise, but I will not judge you, I will instead spend my time trying to clean around my own porch that most of you have pointed out is absolutely filthy. A litlle cleaning never hurt anyone. I am sorry for the disruption, and in this heart that you don't know I pray that each one of your are blessed in your endeavors whatever they may be.

God bless you all at WB

Jobe
    sorry the non-hikers ran you off. i applaud what you're doing

[QUOTE=chief;1341059]You guys must be thinking of another member of this forum, chiefdaddy.

Yeah, this belongs on another thread. I was trying to lighten things up on here. It backfired! Seriously though.....

This is what happens when we can't communicate in person. I'm really sad about the # of people on here that just made up things and twisted words around. I have to go now but I will be back to explain... sometimes you end up with more questions than you do answers. :/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++