WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Ultralight tents

Going to upgrade my tent and looking for something nice and light, as I am starting to plan for the 100 Mile Wilderness. I have been looking at the http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html. Has anyone had the opertunity to try this shelter out? Any information will be helpful.

Images

It's a very popular tent because it's a very good tent. Just be sure to pitch it well, in alignment with the wind and rock your stakes when it's windy. Same thing as with any tent really, although dome tents are forgiving of poor pitches in mild weather. I'm sort of ranting by saying that most tent problems are because the tent isn't set up well.

I have the contrail and used it for many good miles. However if I was to buy another tarpent solo it would be the notch because of the side entry and easier to pitch.

Images

Funny you mention the Notch as that was my second pick...lol.

I own both the Notch and a LightHeart Gear Solo with an awning. You honestly couldn't go wrong with either.

I prefer the LightHeart. Similar weights. The Notch is a little easier to setup. LightHeart Solo seems much roomier.

Images

I am glad to hear all the positive remarks about this brand of tent. Looks as though I am leaning towards the Notch!

Images

You can't go wrong with the Notch! Lightweight, easy setup, relatively roomy, 2 wall, well made,,,, and easily fits big guys,,, I'm 6'5" & 275#'s. What can I say,,, it's Top Notch!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

The downside to the Notch is it requires an additional pole. It makes it less desirable if you don't use trekking poles. That's one reason I kept pushing for Henry to add exterior loops so the tent could be hung like a hammock instead of using poles.

Images

I can see your point leaftye, however I swear by treking poles and never hit the trail without them. Thanks for all the info everyone!

+1 for the Lightheart Solo.

Images

Have used the Contrail for a few years now under varying conditions, no major problems, good tent, quick setup, roomy for one, two possible but very tight.

switched from Contrail to LH Solo for more room and ventilation.

Garlic
    Images

My Contrail has over 6000 trail miles and one 4400 mile cross-country bicycle tour in the last six seasons to its credit and it finally needs to be replaced. I will replace it with another Contrail. Nothing I've seen beats the simplicity and reliability of the Contrail. The big item in its favor, in my opinion, is no hoop poles.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Contrail for me-- I have used tents and tarps, best for the weight....

Images

I think all the shelters mentioned in these past postes are great products! I do like the looks of the Lightheart Solo, however, the contrail keeps talking to me everytime I look at it. Thank you to everyone who has posted their views on these shelters, it has been a big help and it has also made the decsion easier.

used/using a contrail for 4 years. no problems with the tent. although because I'm 6'6" and I dont bend as well as I use to, getting in and out is a bit of a problem for me. love the tent,

+1 Contrail....
    Shocker

I have a GoLite ShangriLa 1. Sets up in no time with 2 trekking poles and its fairly roomy inside. I think it's out of stock now but you might find one somewhere online. 2lbs 3oz

Hello.. I just ordered the last ShangriLa 1. Though it was out of stock online, I called in and one was found. I'm really happy to hear that you like it. Now I need to buy the trekking poles to set it up with. What do you recommend? I'm building my pack now one piece at a time.. Aiming to hike the AT April of 2014. Lots of time to practice setting it up! ha

I had an older Contrail and now own a Lightheart Solo. I prefer the side entry feature of the LH Solo. In addition, this tent has lots of room inside. I may be wrong, but I think the sil-nylon on the LH Solo is more waterproof? Both shelters are great choices. Enjoy your hike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++