WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If your budget is real tight try this if you cant wait.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28317 $160

I think 90% of everyone here has bought a tent that fit the budget and then regretted it later. It's part of learning. My first tent was a Eureka Timberline at 7#. I still have the 4 person version which at 10# isn't bad at all when I make the kids carry it!

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Sometimes it's hard for a new hiker to know enough to know what to want. For example, I want to get into cycling, but I don't know enough to buy a good budget used bike. In any case, sometimes it's better to buy something good on the used market that's desirable enough that it could be easily resold. The Alps and Eureka tents discussed in this thread would probably be difficult to resell. The Golite, however, is quite easy to sell.
    True. and i did do the same thing to get into cycling But you can at least go for something you won't totally regret.. like hauling 6lb of gear you only use for 1/3 of the day and carry for 2/3. definitely going with a resell-able brand will help.

If your on a budget check out these options for 2 person tents:

Coleman Inyo 2: $100 online. This is a remodeled version of the old Peak 1 Cobra. I own the Cobra which is a great inexpensive tent I used for many years. The Inyo weighs 4.9 pounds but you'll be splitting that weight. The Cobra has limited room so you better be on good terms with your tent buddy. The one thing I like about the tent is the double side entry feature which makes it easy to exit the tent from the side without disturbing your tent buddy. The down side-it's not free standing and uses 10 pegs (included in the weight).

Wentzel Starlighter: $30 online, This is a 4.5 lb, one wall tent front entry tent. At 25 sq ft it's tight but what do you want for $30 bucks!!

I vote for the marmot limelight2, It may not be the lightest tent in the world but in my experience it has held up great, you can usually find it for under $200. It offers a quick pitch also to further reduce its weight. If you happen to go this route get the newer model, it has some new features that improve the tent overall.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimety View Post
    I vote for the marmot limelight2, It may not be the lightest tent in the world but in my experience it has held up great, you can usually find it for under $200. It offers a quick pitch also to further reduce its weight. If you happen to go this route get the newer model, it has some new features that improve the tent overall.
    I also have a Limelight 2. My hiking partner calls it "bullet proof." It has stood up to the desert winds on the PCT and any rain storm I have encountered so far. You can shave a pound off of the weight by not using the ground cloth that comes with it.

I am 6' 3" and two people my size could fit in that thing. It is a true 2 person tent. And you can set the whole thing up in 5 minutes.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Watching this thread closely..

Images

Also watch REI's Outlet page. Right now they are listing 8 two person tents that might fit both your budget and your weight requirements.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xhavok View Post
    Hi there, I used to backpack a lot as a boy scout but when I moved and didn't re join the scouts I kind of stopped but recently I have had the itch to go on more camping and hiking trips.
    me and my buddy have been using his parents big old 6 person tent but its hard to go on extended hikes with a tent that size and weight and there really isn't any reason to. I would like to buy a good, reliable 2 person tent that won't kill my wallet but so far I cannot decide. I am hoping to slowly collect my gear and do a section hike next spring.
    right now I am looking at buying this tent: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28253
    it has good reviews and seems to be pretty decent except for the weight which I heard can be brought down if I get some aluminum poles for it. what do you guys think?
    I have a MSR FASTSTASH 2, used 3 nights, I will sell to you for $200.00. http://www.campsaver.com/fast-stash-...erson-3-season
    If interested PM me.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Journal Entries

Unless your buddy is a member of the sex you prefer to get really close to, Id stick to solo, or at least a 3P. 2person backpacking tents are ...cozy.

Good evening!

I'm looking into the Wild Country Zephyros 2 at the minute. Its a very spacious one man or cosy two man, comes in at about 1.7kg and is about Ł120 (around $190?). Or there's the Zephyros 2 Lite coming out early next year which will be a little more pricey but shave off another couple of hundred grams.

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Ge...s/Tents/20122/

Hope this is useful,
    Greetings from Cornwall, UK.

If you plan to long distance hike save your money and get a tent under 3 lb. If you're going out for a few days and money is a constraint I'd look at the Eureka Spitfire 2 (I own the solo version), Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight, or Kelty Salida, which would probably the best choice.

Ok I may get flamed for this question/comment, but where are the tents/shelters for us poor folk? Am I looking at sleeping under a tarp?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
    Ok I may get flamed for this question/comment, but where are the tents/shelters for us poor folk? Am I looking at sleeping under a tarp?
    OK...you tell us what you want to pay for a tent? I've seen answers in this post that list tents from $30 and up. If you can't find a tent that fits your budget, you probably don't have enough money to hike the trail.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Well I'd say my budget for a tent/shelter is up to 60-75 bucks. I'm going to start a new thread about tarp shelter ideas. I said that cuz I'm not against tarp shelters at all. Just looking at options.

I recently purchased an EMS Velocity 2 tent it isn't light weight but it is not heavy like a 6 man at 3lbs 6oz or so i was happy, didn't hurt my wallet either, worth checking it out on their website...

Images

OK This is not a flame but a statement of fact.
    There are thousands of different tents out there.
    Like all gear some are cheap and some are expensive and some are in between.
    It's all a bit like buying a computer.
    Most computers look pretty much the same on the outside but some are much more expensive than other ones.
    I read an explanation once that they all run on magic but the more expensive ones have more powerful magic and run faster and better.
    In hiking gear, you pay more for "lighter".
    What you have to do is find the point where your budget fits and that's the weight you have to live with.
    Most of the points here in this thread are excellent and there are some really good choices.
    One constant you will note in the advice is that IF you keep hiking, you will find you will want to get something lighter further down the track.
    So decide how much you want to hike and how long for. If you're really committed you'll save some more and get something lighter to begin with.
    If you just want to try it, get the cheapest option, whatever the weight. 4 or 5 pounds difference in weight won't be the one thing that puts you off hiking and you minimise your "risk" of wasting money if you don't like it.
    Personally I love my TarpTent and consider it cheap.

Well I'd say my budget for a tent/shelter is up to 60-75 bucks. I'm going to start a new thread about tarp shelter ideas. I said that cuz I'm not against tarp shelters at all. Just looking at options.
    I bought a Eureka Spitfire 1 a couple of years ago when starting out backpacking for about $80 on sale, which you can find again if you keep your eyes open. If I use it I carry only the two end stakes and cut the others, weight is 3 lb, 2 oz.

Look on eBay for used tents. Another relatively cheap tent is the Eureka Backcountry I only available from Campmor I believe. A little over 3 lbs and just over $100.

Would like to agree with all the posts about the REI Half Dome tents. I was lucky enough to catch a Quarter Dome T2 on the cheap because it was the end of the model year, for like $180. It's a little pricey but besides for the slight upgrade in materials, the engineering of the tents is the same. Either the Half Dome or Quarter dome would be a great tent to start with. I love mine, it's done many miles with me. Really easy set color-coded set up, durable materials, enough room, have never noticed condensation, and light. You're looking at a little over 4 lbs for the half dome once you include the footprint. Regardless of what tent you go with, try to get the best quality you can for your budget. It will serve you well and you'll be able to sell it for a good price down the road.

A tarp tent is a different beast than a tarp, basically a simplified single walled tent. A plain 8x10 silnylon tarp is about $80 and 13 ounces, and makes a luxurious shelter for one, workable for two. Add a cheap ground cloth and a bug net each and you are good to go. Many prefer tarps for versatility, ventilation, and the view. You may want a tent too at some point, but the tarp's still useful to have.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++