WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer to Neels Gap -Sept 25-28

I am a beginning hiker and hiking the AT has been a pipe dream for me for a while. I finally have some time off and I am just looking to meet up with a group or individual so I won't be out there fighting off the bears alone I am driving up on Monday to Neels Gap to hopefully leave my car and grab a shuttle Tuesday morning to Springer. I plan on finishing on Friday, but I have an extra day in case I need a break. Any takers?

I am a 38 year old male, single father, work in the tech industry...needs to get away from computers for a while!

You wont have any trouble with bears to Neels. You have proublms with bears in parks not in the wild aera's. If an incounter is made outside of parks and you have a proublm with it. It's just because you are inexperance with bears. Just shoo them off. Trust me they don't want anything t do with you as you with them. Other parts of the counrty is something diffrent but the AT you will find to be safer then your own home town. I have lived out there a lot, I know.

Thanks for the reassurance. Mostly I'm just weary of hiking alone. But I hear the AT is pretty popular and I'm bound to run into some hikers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sidwolf2 View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance. Mostly I'm just weary of hiking alone. But I hear the AT is pretty popular and I'm bound to run into some hikers.
    Weary or Leery? (seriously). If you are nervous, my tip would be to have some music or a tiny radio to listen to with ear buds to distract you from the night noises in the middle of the night.

Actually, there has been some bear problems in the Blood Mountain area. You can call the Amicalola State Park and find out if they ae still requiring bear canisters in that area. I was there in March, people who ignored the warning got their food robbed by some clever bears. We just stopped a lil short of the projected last night of camping, then pushed over Blood to Neels the last morning. Im not sure of the amount of people on the trail at this time of year? Due to the leaves changing, you might have quite a bit of company!!!

~Smokin' Joe

++ New Posts ++