WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Changing to warm weather gear.

I need some input on where (location or month) most folks change their gear from the cold weather gear to warm weather. Do most thru hikers just keep the gear they start with or change? I don't get cold easy so I could probably stand changing a little earlier than most hikers (due to the extra layer of body fat that I have) I know I will want to change the sleeping gear and get rid of the heavier jacket at some point but I may just keep the backpack and regular clothing that I start with. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Bro when i Thru-hike i uselly keep the gear i start with and i start in mid Feburary and if i do send something home its only my fleece gloves and beenie. but yeah bro don't send anything home until Pearisburg VA and thats if its like late April early May, if its a really bad winter i would even wait until Waynesboro VA. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

At least June 1st or Pearisburg if not later. You will get warm spells, don't be an idiot and think that summer is here.

Pearisburg is the general rule of thumb, but that is usually for April 1st (+/-) starts. It all depends on when you start, how fast you hike and how the season is going. However, don't jump the gun. A couple of hot days doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. I've learned that the hard way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Even a very warm sleeping bag works in summer unzipped as a quilt.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I asked the same question before my thru and was advised Pearisburg to switch to Summer gear then back to winter gear at Glencliffe. That advice was spot on. The coldest weather on the trail happened the week after traildays North of Damascus, there were a lot of cold hikers that week, I was very glad that I heeded the advice given here.
    My start was March 23 and I arrived at Damascus right at Traildays.

I sent home the little cold weather gear I carried at Damascus, used the same 35 degree bag the whole time (March 30 start). Picked up my cold weather gear a Glenncliff but sent it home again (finished September 14).

If you want to be safe send the cold weather stuff home after you pass Mt. Rogers, a little north of Damascus, or after May 20, whichever comes last (assuming you are NOBO). That is, if you are a late starter and haven't reached Mt. Rogers by May 20, keep the cold weather gear until then; if you start earlier and have passed Mt. Rogers before May 20, hold onto the cold weather gear until May 20. Sure you will have some warm days and nights while you still have the extra gear, but you can always unzip the sleeping bag as much as needed.
    Last edited by map man; 09-22-2012 at 11:39.

++ New Posts ++