Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Females only

Default Females only

I'm a first time female hiker. My girlfriend from school and I had some questions about how girls handle certain things. I haven't seen a thread like this so hopefully it can be helpful to all of us female hikers.

Note: boys go away unless you have something useful to add

-boobs- any problems with packs hurting da boobies? Best kind of bra? Advice and experience...
    -monthly visitors- What do you do there? Best way to handle that?
    -safety-usually I'm a very open and trusting person. Since we are two females should we be worried about safety and what are the best ways to go about meeting and handleing strangers that make you uncomfortable?

There is a female forum here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...-Hiking-forums where most of you questions will be answered and probably some things you haven't thought of yet.
    The boys never go away
    Have a great hike

Default bras

I wear Moving Comfort Maia running bras. Lots of support with minimal jiggle especially if well endowed like me. Keeps the girls in place and the moisture wicking fabric keeps me from getting an under boob rash or irritation. And no chest soreness after a long hike either. My chest strap on my packs are above the girls so no problem there.

All I know about hiking and boobs is when I bought my pack I had the option to buy S style straps as opposed to the usual J style straps. I believe that was to make room for women's tops. Check out ULA packs. They offer that kind of strap.

Images

No problems with the boobs and I always wear a sports bra. One thing about the trail is you can always move on if someone is making you uncomfortable and nobody thinks twice about it. Don't worry about safety because you want to enjoy your hike just always be aware.

Images

1) Sports Bra
    2) Put products in brown paper sack and then put that inside zip-lock and pack out
    3) Bandana works nice for clean-up
    4) Shake when you pee vs toilet paper use bandana for clean-up
    5) Just be your normal watchful self when it comes to strangers - highly unlikely you'll have any problems

FYI, I'm a guy but have run outdoor programs for girls for many years. Best Regards.

Sorry for posting on the "females only thread" - I'll stay out.
    Last edited by Papa D; 09-22-2012 at 08:20.

For monthly visitors, I am planning to take birth control the whole time. Pills are lighter and you won't have to worry about the extra waist products.
    Several years ago I read that gyn's were discussing whether there was a real need for monthly visitors and that a few were suggesting reducing the visit to once or twice a year.
    To be safe, of course, you should check with your doctor at a pre-hike check up.

If you are taking pills to avoid monthly visitors seek your doctor’s advice. Such medications result in blood clots.

I've never had a problem with pack straps bothering the girls. Just don't cinch down the chest strap too much. It's just there for stability.

I find that sports bras get too wet from sweat and don't dry out very well. I don't recommend them. A light weight bra works just fine and it dries more quickly. Just put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag and nite and it will be dry in the morning.

With regard to your period, pack out your used toiletries or put them in the privy - unless it's a mouldering privy. Some people object to putting used toiletries in a privy, but I don't see the difference between a used paper tampon and used toilet paper. (Don't put any plastic down the privy.) If you pack it out, put the stuff in a plastic ziploc bag, along with some dried leaves, and that will keep the odor down.

With respect to safety, just use your common sense as you would anywhere else. Trust your gut and move along if things seem off.

And most of all, have an amazing journey.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

The pet store carries small green (so it's a bit disguised and not so obvious) ziplock type bags that are meant to carry dog poop but when I led wilderness trips for teenage girls each one got a few and used them to carry out any tampons, pads, etc. Adding some dried leaves as CD mentioned works very well. I didn't want the girls to put anything like that into the privy but it happens.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Another suggestion is to use a product like a Diva Cup. No trash.

(Not to mention the P-style, which I can't live without.)

Images

All depends on how big your girls are...in regards to the bra type. I'm quite small, so a chaepo sports bra works great for me. My friend is very large, and she has talked about her new bra find to anyone who will listen. It's the Fiona sports bra. She got it at REI. Not sure if Fiona is the brand, or it's pretty name though. It velcros in the back instead of clips. She says her girls never move a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Another suggestion is to use a product like a Diva Cup. No trash.
    This summer, my friend thought she would have a visitor during our 120 mile hike, so she picked up a Diva Cup. Even though she was wrong about the timing, she plans to use the Diva Cup every month even when not hiking. She loved it! She also stated she plans on introducing it to her daughter when that time comes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    With regard to your period, pack out your used toiletries or put them in the privy - unless it's a mouldering privy. Some people object to putting used toiletries in a privy, but I don't see the difference between a used paper tampon and used toilet paper. (Don't put any plastic down the privy.) If you pack it out, put the stuff in a plastic ziploc bag, along with some dried leaves, and that will keep the odor down.
    There is a very big difference between a tampon and toilet paper!!! TP will work into the compost, but a tampon will not. They are made to absorb while TP (single sheet which is what you should use on the trail) is made to break down in a septic tank. Folks who take care of privies will have to dig out used tampons (not pleasant!!)

So, as with other waste, pack it in/pack it out. Otherwise, use a diva cup or some form of delayed medication.

For the other two questions, I use a lightweight bra in spite of my size, because I chafe with a sports bra for longer periods of time. Creek Dancer is absolutely correct about the safety thing, trust your gut.... and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    There is a very big difference between a tampon and toilet paper!!! TP will work into the compost, but a tampon will not. They are made to absorb while TP (single sheet which is what you should use on the trail) is made to break down in a septic tank. Folks who take care of privies will have to dig out used tampons (not pleasant!!)

So, as with other waste, pack it in/pack it out. Otherwise, use a diva cup or some form of delayed medication.

For the other two questions, I use a lightweight bra in spite of my size, because I chafe with a sports bra for longer periods of time. Creek Dancer is absolutely correct about the safety thing, trust your gut.... and have fun!
    As I said in my post, I am talking about tampons made of paper. Not the type with polyester, which will not denegrade. Those should not go in the privy. Neither should pads, as they have some plastic.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    1) Sports Bra
    2) Put products in brown paper sack and then put that inside zip-lock and pack out
    3) Bandana works nice for clean-up
    4) Shake when you pee vs toilet paper use bandana for clean-up
    5) Just be your normal watchful self when it comes to strangers - highly unlikely you'll have any problems

FYI, I'm a guy but have run outdoor programs for girls for many years. Best Regards.

Sorry for posting on the "females only thread" - I'll stay out.
    Thank you SO much for telling us women how to handle our hygiene! You post and then say "I'll stay out." Why do men always feel the need to post on women only posts. Especially when it comes to menstration?!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Thank you SO much for telling us women how to handle our hygiene! You post and then say "I'll stay out." Why do men always feel the need to post on women only posts. Especially when it comes to menstration?!!

Always? No.
    Only to point out that I know how to spell menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    I've never had a problem with pack straps bothering the girls. Just don't cinch down the chest strap too much. It's just there for stability.

I find that sports bras get too wet from sweat and don't dry out very well. I don't recommend them. A light weight bra works just fine and it dries more quickly. Just put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag and nite and it will be dry in the morning.

With respect to safety, just use your common sense as you would anywhere else. Trust your gut and move along if things seem off.

And most of all, have an amazing journey.
    AACK! They are NOT cotton these days - they are SYNTHETiC. And they won't compost. Please pack them out.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Images

Monthly visitor. Please pack it out. I had mine on our section. I had mine on every camp or hiking or bkining outing it was almost funny. Once you get over the initial gross factor it is no big deal.. Purell before and after. Put IT in a quart or gallon baggie inside a stuff sack and keep toilet paper in same no, purell and wet wipes in no see thru stuff stack for convenience. I packed out the toilet paper too You can hang little stuff sack from pack with your trash. No one is the wiser. Once you get to a town, toss baggie in trash. Wet wipes are helpful to to help you feel clean. Toss the used ones in your baggie too. When you have to do your thing, grab stuff sack with baggie in it toilet paper, purell and supply of tampons wet wipes and go up the hill. And yes, it sucks in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    AACK! They are NOT cotton these days - they are SYNTHETiC. And they won't compost. Please pack them out.
    Who said anything about cotton? I am talking about paper tampons, as I said in my post. I buy mine at a local health food store. But you are correct. Synthetic tampons need to be packed out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++