WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 1 week in SW VA early Oct

40-something male will be hiking ~90 miles NoBo in Southwest Virginia approx Oct 6-12. Thinking Troutdale to Lickskillet Hollow, but open to other ideas. I'll have well-behaved "kids" (17-year-old exchange student and 22-y.o. Marine) with me part of the trek. 10-15 miles per day, would love to work cars to slackpack at least part of it. Always room for more...

Images

What about Bland to Damascus (115 miles ) or Groseclose to Damascus (70 miles), unless you've already done the Highlands section.

Images

Not meaning to hi-jack your straight-forward thread, but where's your exchange student from? What program?

My family and I have hosted a dozen high school exchange students over the years and I've taken several of them backpacking on the AT. What great fun and what an experience for them (and me)! Two of our three daughters went overseas themselves, one to Argentina and one to Panama. They loved it so much, both have been back to visit their own host families.

Hard to go wrong in SW Virginia for an AT outing in early October. I imagine you know all about the Grayson Highlands?

Farther up, a stop at the Wood's Hole Hostel would be amazing for your crew (was for mine). And the ridgeline views on that stretch are quite wonderful south of Pearisburg. You'd also get to hike past Dismal Falls, not a bad stop.

Have a great hike!

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 09-22-2012 at 09:53.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    What about Bland to Damascus (115 miles ) or Groseclose to Damascus (70 miles), unless you've already done the Highlands section.
    JJJ,

No, I haven't done the Highlands yet, and would consider these options if you want to join up. Honestly, would love to do Damascus to Groseclose and then decide if I can power through to Bland and still get back to work before I run out of vacation days. Let me know if you are seriously interested, because I would have to replan things to set it up so my kids can get back to school after the first weekend.

BSPycc79

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Not meaning to hi-jack your straight-forward thread, but where's your exchange student from? What program?

My family and I have hosted a dozen high school exchange students over the years and I've taken several of them backpacking on the AT. What great fun and what an experience for them (and me)! Two of our three daughters went overseas themselves, one to Argentina and one to Panama. They loved it so much, both have been back to visit their own host families.

Hard to go wrong in SW Virginia for an AT outing in early October. I imagine you know all about the Grayson Highlands?

Farther up, a stop at the Wood's Hole Hostel would be amazing for your crew (was for mine). And the ridgeline views on that stretch are quite wonderful south of Pearisburg. You'd also get to hike past Dismal Falls, not a bad stop.

Have a great hike!

Rain Man

Hi-jack away, RainMan!

We're a serial host family with the CIEE High School program, and current kid is our 7th and from Serbia. Not all of them have been backpackers, but most hiked with me and all made it SNP/BRP. Are you hosting this year?

Haven't done the Highlands yet; I'm about 220 miles into my goal of doing all 540 mi in VA/WV, so I will definitely get there. Have slackpacked out of Woods Hole, Neville is awesome! But, I'm done that section and moving on!

Have a great day!
    BSPycc79

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bspycc79 View Post
    JJJ,

No, I haven't done the Highlands yet, and would consider these options if you want to join up. Honestly, would love to do Damascus to Groseclose and then decide if I can power through to Bland and still get back to work before I run out of vacation days. Let me know if you are seriously interested, because I would have to replan things to set it up so my kids can get back to school after the first weekend.

BSPycc79
    I wouldn't change any plans for me, but it is a tempting offer A day or three could be fun too.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    I wouldn't change any plans for me, but it is a tempting offer A day or three could be fun too.
    Thanks
    We don't have a complete specific plan yet, so don't mind changing now (need to lock it down by this Saturday, though, as I have to coordinate with the Mrs on picking up kids etc). Actually, starting in Damascus is looking better, because then we can slackpack while the kids are there and not have to solve for a 3rd full set of gear.

PM if you decide you want to do "a day or three".

BSPycc79

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bspycc79 View Post
    We're a serial host family with the CIEE High School program, and current kid is our 7th and from Serbia. Not all of them have been backpackers, but most hiked with me and all made it SNP/BRP. Are you hosting this year?
    No, not hosting this year. We were a "serial" host family and volunteers with AFS. We hosted 9 year students with AFS, and 3 others with another program (or privately) for summers. Countries include, France, Spain, Italy, Thailand, Argentina, Denmark, Belarus, Bolivia, Azerbaijan, and Egypt.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++