WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Northern end of Baxter State Park

Hey Everyone!

I have hiked the southern end of Baxter State Park a good number of times, more then I can remember. However, I have yet to hike the northern end. I plan on spending four nights out there and doing some canoeing while I am there. Here's my plan, please pick it apart as I don't want to miss anything! Starting at Trout Brook Farm Campground and heading to Frost Pond Campsite via. Freezeout Trail and Frost Pond Trail. Then off to Hudson Pond Campsite via. Frost Pond trail and Wadleigh Brook Trail. Then off to Webster Outlet Campsite and take the canoe, if it is still there, and head to Little Coffeelos Campsite for the night. Next morning canoe back and head to Northwest Cove Campsite via. Freeze out Trail and then the last morning head back to the truck on Freeze out Trail. Hows it sound? Has anyone here done this loop?

I havent done the freezeout trail but if you are in the north end of the park, stay at South Branch pond one day and do the Traveler Loop. Its long day hike but it has super views and has a different feel to it than the southern end of the park. There is at least one camping area/lean to that is on the outh end of the pond (the campground is on the north end).

Images

Wow! I thought there had to be someone who has hiked the northern end of Baxter State Park...lol.

Most hikers on this site don't get beyond the southern end of the park and baxter peak.
    We have stayed at S, branch Pond for a couple days in the past and canoed on the ponds there and hiked the N. traveler mtn trail.
    Saw Black Bear on shore from canoe there.
    Like peakbagger said, super views to the south and baxter peak ridgeline from N. traveler mtn.
    Great trip, different crowd than southern end.
    WALK ON

Try searching viewsfromthetop.com. It is the biggest New England Hiking Forum and there have been reports on the described hike over the years.

Images

Pretty wet area. Typical Maine boondocks. Some old woods road. Most can be dayhiked. If you do the Traveler Loop suggest going up the Peak of the Ridges. Can be greasy. Part way up is a 100' side to a vista. When you go out there, look down, you are standing on a benchmark. Look left and right and imagine being there back then.

If you are already back, how did your trip go?

++ New Posts ++