WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Lazarus, let us know if you choose to do this trip and how you liked it. A friend of mine has been asking to do this for a couple of years now.

will do. it looks like a january trip now, with a confirmed trip to Vermont next month. it is definitely on my hike soon list...

I've finished scanning all the mohawk trail maps, and just finished posting the rest of them to Maprika. The maps I posted a couple of days ago should be available to app users now, and the balance will be soon. Let me know what you think of the maprika maps if you get a chance.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    will do. it looks like a january trip now, with a confirmed trip to Vermont next month. it is definitely on my hike soon list...
    let me know, im in.

South taconic trail is very nice. Alander mt is one of my favorite local hikes(45 mins from my house in ny). It follows a low exposed ridge separating ny/mass. For a low 20 overnight loop, try to glastenbury mt- west ridge loop. I did it on early Sept and it was very nice. Only negative, it does involve a 1.5ish mile road walk back toward the parking lot on the AT/LT west of bennington
    Positive tho, you can download a pdf of the map for free!

Loops can be done on parts of the Nehantic, Quinebaug and Pachaug trails in Voluntown. See the Connecticut Walk Book East by the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. A few parts of those trails are covered at: http://www.mdc.net/~dbrier/yawgoog/trails

I've finished scanning all the mohawk trail maps, and just finished posting the rest of them to Maprika. The maps I posted a couple of days ago should be available to app users now, and the balance will be soon. Let me know what you think of the maprika maps if you get a chance.
    Maprika just downloads maps to smartphones and tablets, right? Or am I missing something? Is there a way to print out these maps? I much prefer to have a paper map in a plastic bag stuffed in my pocket than have to carry and depend on a fragile and battery-dependent electronic device.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    Maprika just downloads maps to smartphones and tablets, right? Or am I missing something? Is there a way to print out these maps? I much prefer to have a paper map in a plastic bag stuffed in my pocket than have to carry and depend on a fragile and battery-dependent electronic device.
    ...i generally agree with you about preferring paper maps, and bring them for longer hikes. the maprika maps are really just for smartphone use -- while you can use them off-line without gps reference, they are most useful when you are willing to use your gps phone function. I really like maprika for those times when i am hiking in an area where i get cell phone reception. there are lots of trails out there which are not as well marked as the AT. Maprika has helped me to make a lot more "go the right way" decisions than i would ever have made on my own. I almost always use maprika when on day hikes -- nice to see how far and fast i've come, as well as elevation change, and i'm not as concerned about battery use when out for a relatively short hike. I've even photographed trail maps at trail head kiosks, synched the image with google maps, and had a trail map to bring along when no other was available. Hey, what do you want for free?
    Lazarus

will do. it looks like a january trip now, with a confirmed trip to Vermont next month.
    I'll be in Vt next month too, maybe we will cross paths.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker67 View Post
    Loops can be done on parts of the Nehantic, Quinebaug and Pachaug trails in Voluntown. See the Connecticut Walk Book East by the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. A few parts of those trails are covered at: http://www.mdc.net/~dbrier/yawgoog/trails
    For ALL trails in Connecticut, check out ctxguide.com. It covers the AT, over 400 miles of Blue trail maintained by the CFPA, state parks and land trusts. Some of the maps are outdated though so be weary; I've ran into trail relocations on the Blue trails that aren't reflected on this site, so check for any Blue trail notices/relocations at http://www.ctwoodlands.org/trail-changes. I'm currently working on finishing the Metacomet Trail (done about 15 miles of 63 so far). I completed the Mattabesett Trail in sections, and all 24 miles of the Quinnipiac in one day...working on getting my trail patches.
    qt.jpg

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    I'll be in Vt next month too, maybe we will cross paths.
    I hope there'll be enough trees for our two hammocks!

I'm just hiking from manchester center to killington, the first weekend of november. breakfast at the long trail inn on sunday. too early for beer.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    For ALL trails in Connecticut, check out ctxguide.com. It covers the AT, over 400 miles of Blue trail maintained by the CFPA, state parks and land trusts. Some of the maps are outdated though so be weary; I've ran into trail relocations on the Blue trails that aren't reflected on this site, so check for any Blue trail notices/relocations at http://www.ctwoodlands.org/trail-changes. I'm currently working on finishing the Metacomet Trail (done about 15 miles of 63 so far). I completed the Mattabesett Trail in sections, and all 24 miles of the Quinnipiac in one day...working on getting my trail patches.
    qt.jpg
    wow. the ctxguide is a resource i was not familiar with. i thank you for calling my attention to it!!! i probably will copy/take some of those images and put them on maprika...
    Lazarus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++