WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Just out of curiousity, for the past NOBO thru hikers who used tents......

How many times did you have to setup your tent in the rain?

I probably tented more than 100 nights, only stayed at shelters/huts half a dozen or so nights. Only set up in the rain three nights I can remember. Luckly for me, most of the hard rains came after I was set up. Tore down in the rain about the same number.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Maybe a dozen times.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Set it up while it was raining? Twice when I went northbound. In VA and in the Whites.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

3-4 times, this is where you need to be really proficient on setting up quickly and getting up a fly right a way. Luckily we had encountered a hail storm with quarter sized hail and a severe thunderstorm after that lasted several hours AFTER we arrived at a shelter....probably one of a few times I was glad we had used a shelter instead of using a tent....it would of been soaked and who knows what that blanket of hail would of done to the tent.

I thru'ed in '09 which was a very wet year, but most of the time you could wait for a lull in the rain to set up. I used a hammock rather than a tent. One of the advantages is that with a hammock you can set the tarp up first then hang the hammock and sort out gear and stuff underneath the tarp, keeping everything dry.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

In my 500 mile attempt, 29 Feb - 18 May 2012, only once in a real rainstorm. I set up a few times when it was starting to sprinkle.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Under five. I usually waited in the shelter for a lull and then went outside to set up my tent. The one time there wasn't a lull a the other hikers in the shelter actually suggested I set up my tent in the shelter and then move it outside, which I did.

I stayed in my tent around 140 nights. I'd guess that I set it up in the rain maybe 4 or 5 times, but I took it down in the rain probably 8 or 10 times. There were a few times when I ran down the trail to find a tent site while the thunder was booming all around me and I managed to get my tent up just in time!

Lots. I don't have an exact number, but lots. A couple times in really, really heavy downpours (which suuuuuuuuucked). I had a rainy year though (1998).
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

2009 was pretty rainy, and I slept in my tent in rain and downpours A LOT, but out of 69 nights in my tent I never had to set up in a downpour. I was a a flipflop hiker and during the southbound part of my journey in the fall I got lazy and used the shelters way more than the tent. If it was pouring and I got to a shelter and there was a spot, I would generally choose that over setting up my tent in the rain.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Only a handful. I preferred the shelter.

On this years thru about two dozen times, but at the same time 90% of my nights was spent in my tent i hardly ever used a shelter. But on my Thru in 06 i use the shelters 90% of the time mainly because i carried a tarp and their not to good in any type of weather. RED-DOG( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ).

Very, very few times. As previously mentioned, many times you can just wait for a break in the rain. Also, as previously mentioned, I also took down my tent more times in the rain than I did setting it up.

One thing that will skew your results is that many hikers who normally tent will sleep in a shelter if space is available when it is raining; i.e, if the shelter wasn't there then they would have set up in the rain.

Garlic
    Images

Many times. I would often pitch the tent during an afternoon storm and take shelter for a break (snack, nap), rather than walk in the rain. My single wall silnylon tent makes that very easy, with a two-minute pitch and very little water retention. I do the same thing on Western hikes if I get caught above treeline during a lightning storm. On the AT, if a shelter were nearby, I'd take a break there but I would not sleep in it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you have a freestanding tent learn to set it up upside down, then just quickly flip it over and throw the fly on it...even in a downpour it won't get very wet at all. I always stayed in my tent and read a book until it stopped raining, so I never took my tent down in the rain.

During my thru-hike I setup my tent in the pouring rain maybe 10 times on nights where I used my tent (I'd estimate that I used my tent about 30% to 40% of the trail nights -- I tented more frequently as I got further north).

However, ...one thing -- my tent was the bathtub type and that was fantastically beneficial -- it rained much of the time in the middle of the night and no matter where I set my tent up the ground in the morning was soaking wet (Madge -- Your Soaking In It!). In some instances I had a river flowing underneath my tent when the rains came so hard the gov'nr declared the area where I was hiking that week an official Disaster Area.

I called Sears and ordered an Ark that very day. They mailed me a can of Sears Weatherbeater and wished me luck.

Datto

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Always good to hear from DATTO. I found it amazing how much faster I could move when a storm was brewing. It is a good time to make it to a shelter.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I used a tent for about half my hike and a hammock for the other half. i only had about 4 cases where I had to setup in the rain. The tent was not that difficult, but I did experience some water getting in the tent. I used a bandana to dry the interior and was ok. The hammock was easier as I setup the tarp first and then the hammock. Fortunately, I did not have any cases where i had to break camp while it was raining.

CF97 > Everything Else.

I had great weather during my thru-hike this past year. Didn't have to set it up in the rain once!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

++ New Posts ++