WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

On my first section hike I had a Katahdin filter which I put in the first hiker box I came across after seeing Aqua Mira liquid. I do carry a few AM tabs for overnight use. I have DrinkSafe bottle filter for on the go use, so rarely carry more than a litre of water.

Good points above. Been using AM liquid now for 7 years. As I've said before, I like simple things. AM liquid is a simple thing...nothing to break. Yes, you must learn how to manage your water wrt the time it takes the liquid AM to do it's thing, etc. I'll probably never go back to a filter.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've seen AM bottles split across the bottom and leak.

I use AM and also on occasion a Steri Pen but I always carry back up for the SP.

With AM you can double the dose and half the time or half the dose and double the time for treatment.

Here's a good article by Dr. Ryan Jordan of Backpackinglight.com
    http://www.aquamira.com/bpl_2_efficacy-of-water.pdf
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I used to use polarpure iodine for several years. I and other folks got the "runs" from it and I expect the reason was the residual was killing off the good bacteria in the stomach. It also had a signficant taste. I switched to Aquamira and never had any digestive issues afterwards. The chlorine Dioxide in Aquamira breaks down rapidly so by the time you have waited the proper period of time, its broken down. I have also used filters over the years and occasionally would use them when weight wasnt an issue, eventually I realized that aquamira is so much lighter and easy to use that I only use it now. I like to take a break for five minutes every hour so the 5 minute mixing time isnt an issue with me. One of the other chlorine dioxide products used to recomend premixing a days worth of chlorine dioxide and using that during the day, then recharging the bottle the next morning but I am not aware if the company is still around

Journal Entries

Its easy to be confused by tablets stating 4 hrs required, and drops stating 20 min. They are the same though.

The tablets are easy to get an exact ppm level of ClO2 with when added to 1L water. They have been EPA certified to treat a dirty water standard. The 4hrs is the time to meet the stringent EPA standard,with cryptosporidium taking the longest to kill.

Drops are not certified, because the mixing process allows ClO2 to escape. Its a bit more variable and difficult to ensure exact ClO2. This is why the drops dont claim to purify water. They say something like "enhance taste, kill odor causing bacteria". But ClO2 is ClO2, and it works the same, in the same concentration.

They both take the same time, to do the same thing. Tablets take a few min longer to dissolve obviously, but thats it.

Obviously McNett cannot recommend premixing the way many do it. ClO2 is lost from the solution rapidly, the 5 min time is where the ClO2 of the mixture has reached a maximum, so thats when its supposed to be added to water. ClO2 is unstable and UV light decomposes it , in addition to loss from solution by vaporization. However, experience is that sealed up in a small opaque dropper bottle, it maintains the deep yellow color (indicative of ClO2) at least a day without much loss. Since we really dont need the average level added anyway for very clean water, many people have no issues doing the premix route for convenience. When you encounter a questionable water source, lake, stagnant , etc you usually treat a lot more heavily than average.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the input, and info of the tablet and the drops as well as the time required and the conditions based on those times. Like so many things it's how it works in actual usage for the person in real world conditions. To me the 4 hrs is not a option for a standard water resupply.

The 30 minutes is doable and seems how most take it. Though it would seem to change water re-supply planning and hydration. You need to plan to your next water + 30 minutes with AM. More something of note then anything critical. Coming from using the UV pen going to just AM would change how I would use water. Right now getting to water with the UV pen means drink all you want then figure out how much you want to carry to make the next one. This is how I typically use it. And I have developed a strategy to minimize water weight carried based on that so switching to just AM would be learning new methods and hydration planning.

Also to the comments of needed a backup system with pumps/UV, one should also have a backup method with AM and I assume most hikers who use AM do carry a backup. In all 3 cases if the primary one fails, such as the pump breaks the batteries die, or the AM tablet or drops falls to the ground and is lost many will carry tablets or AM drops as a contingency. The carrying of this contingency is just hidden for those who use AM as their primary method as AM is their backup method as well. So I don't take it as any great loss of needing to carry a backup method as basically everyone does and for backup AM is a great choice.

So I do understand AM more, though still at 30 minutes I still question any weight savings since you lose the 'drink all you want then decide how much you need' at the water source ability , it might be something to try in actual conditions to really figure it out.

The need to treat water is over-blown, IMHO. I see no rational need to treat water comin' out the side of a mountain. I only treated water a dozen or so times in 5 1/2 months (with household bleach). Regular chlorine (in various forms) is what most cities use to disinfect their water. I used iodine tablets to treat water in the field for about 20 years and never got sick. I also drank water straight out of the Mississippi for 2 1/2 months treating only with bleach and never got sick. The only side effect was that I now glow in the dark and don't really need a headlamp.

If you treat water with chemicals, the time it takes is temperature dependent, cold water takes longer

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Water using aqua mira drops is actually ready in 15 minutes, not 30 unless the water is overly cloudy or extra cold. I've used it for 4000 plus miles. No issues.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I like AM drops. I've used them for many years and find it simple. I've watched people fuss with their filters...not for me.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

I love my Sawyer Squeeze. With the 64oz bag it weighs 3.4 ounces. I haven't had any issues with it clogging.

I don't want to have to add chemicals to my water. Any long term studies on what that does to you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The need to treat water is over-blown, IMHO. I see no rational need to treat water comin' out the side of a mountain.
    + 1. No real need to overthink this. I have been using aquamira when water source is questionable for many years. The only time I had a problem was once when I used too much, and subsequently ran out of toilet paper. I don't see a need to filter water in most AT springs. Sweet, cool spring water with NO chemicals is a blessing...why screw it up?
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I don't want to have to add chemicals to my water. Any long term studies on what that does to you?
    Yeah, millions of Americans have been drinking treated tap water for years.

Just used a Sawyer squeeze over the weekend, and will be using that as a primary system, with Katadhin tablets as backup. This discussion helps that decision.

The OP makes a good point about the ability to camel with a filtration system. Most water sources are naturally at low points, so this means that you are carrying that AM water on your back, as opposed to in your stomach, up that next hill. Same weight, but I am pretty sure you will feel lighter without the extra weight in the pack. The convenience of being able to drink about as fast as you fill the squeeze bottle is worth the couple extra ounces to me. And after you consider the camel point, is it really a couple extra ounces?

A liter which could be otherwise cameled is 2 lbs. Which means 2 to 4 times per day, i.e., after each water stop, you are carrying an extra 2 pounds on your back up the next hill. With a Sawyer squeeze only being 3 oz or so (which is pretty close to an out of box AM system), it is pretty clear that one cameling at water stops has on average about the same, or even less , pack weight than an AM only user.

Of course there are more issues than weight at play, and it is ultimately a personal choice that needs to be modified based on the conditions. For example, I will be at Tricorner knob in late November. A Sawyer may be a bad idea, as it could clog (according to a post above) and the filter may be subject to freezing damage if I do not take precautions. I'll be sure to have plenty of tablets, and extra fuel (for the old school method of purification) just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Also to the comments of needed a backup system with pumps/UV, one should also have a backup method with AM and I assume most hikers who use AM do carry a backup.
    My backup for AM is boiling water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The need to treat water is over-blown, IMHO. I see no rational need to treat water comin' out the side of a mountain. I only treated water a dozen or so times in 5 1/2 months (with household bleach). Regular chlorine (in various forms) is what most cities use to disinfect their water. I used iodine tablets to treat water in the field for about 20 years and never got sick. I also drank water straight out of the Mississippi for 2 1/2 months treating only with bleach and never got sick. The only side effect was that I now glow in the dark and don't really need a headlamp.

If you treat water with chemicals, the time it takes is temperature dependent, cold water takes longer
    Sorry...that's just misinformation. Most cities DO NOT use straight cholrine to disinfect their water. They use cholrine dioxide which is what AM is. Cholrine, or bleach, does a very poor job of killing the two things hikers are most concerned about.

Here's a good link to a CDC page that does a great job of laying out the most common forms of water treatment (bleach, AM, filters, steripens) and the effectiveness of each. Once you have the facts, make your own informed decision.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    'Lieing', you are accusing me of, I call to the mods on this!!! I got the 4 hours from : http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gea...ics/45387.html while researching based on some info on this forum.

It seems controversial at the least. Sort of 30 minutes if you want to take your chances though there is evidence of needing 4 hours.

But you post I find very insulting and inflammatory and I would like you to provide a cite that water would be safe to drink in the 20 minutes you claim or else may everything you say be considered a lie and be ignored.
    The following is what the directions on the bottle say: "Shake to mix. Let stand for 15 minutes. If water is very cold, cloudy or tinted, let stand for 30 minutes." When all else fails, follow directions.

Journal Entries

Moose2001 Thanks that was a very good link to CDC site, unfortunately does not really go into UV much except to say lack of independent testing data which that alone has it's own issues.

To some other comments: City water supplies have the advantage of long to very long contact times, the time it takes for the water to travel to the user is taken advantage of as well as the effects of residual chemicals in the water to prevent recontamination on the way. Because the contact time is so great they can get away with a smaller amount of chemicals then backwoods situations - so I am not sure they are directly comparable. But even still UV light can work for city water. Here is a interesting link about NYC water reducing chemicals by using UV treatment http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ter-technology

UV is also used in wastewater treatment so I suspect water cloudiness is not such a problem as the CDC article mentions.

A good point was made for AM if your primary method of purification is drinking untreated natural springwater that needs no treatment, in that i can see using AM as a weight savings only if used as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Sorry...that's just misinformation. Most cities DO NOT use straight cholrine to disinfect their water. They use cholrine dioxide which is what AM is. Cholrine, or bleach, does a very poor job of killing the two things hikers are most concerned about.

Here's a good link to a CDC page that does a great job of laying out the most common forms of water treatment (bleach, AM, filters, steripens) and the effectiveness of each. Once you have the facts, make your own informed decision.
    Don't know about "most". I do know that some municipal water supplies use chlorine in the form of chlorine gas. Not long ago that was most. Talked to the guy who runs Sterling Hotel, using well water. Told me that the state made him treat his water with chlorine bleach. Most methods of treating water on the trail "work" because no treatment is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorbrent View Post
    Aqua Mira weights less, nothing really to break/clog like a filter with hoses moving parts or batteries, and it kills all the nastys including virus's no issues like changing taste or long term effects like iodine. ...
    And for the record, two full bottles of AM weigh the same as a Sawyer Squeeze filter. And the filter has no hoses or moving parts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++