WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Explain to me the light weight benefits of Aquamira

Or any chloride dioxide treatment for that matter? Yes you don't have to carry a filter or UV device but instead exchange that for some light weight tablets. But they take 4 hours to purify 32 oz of water. So instead of carrying a filter or UV light, both can be had for less then 1/2 a lb you are carrying 2 lbs of water you can't even drink for the next 8 miles - rince and repeat.

It appears that one using Aquamira will be carrying more water and thus more weight then other alternatives, though it is touted as a ultralightweight solution.

So how does Aquamira really work to shave off the oz's?

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Or any chloride dioxide treatment for that matter? Yes you don't have to carry a filter or UV device but instead exchange that for some light weight tablets. But they take 4 hours to purify 32 oz of water. So instead of carrying a filter or UV light, both can be had for less then 1/2 a lb you are carrying 2 lbs of water you can't even drink for the next 8 miles - rince and repeat.

It appears that one using Aquamira will be carrying more water and thus more weight then other alternatives, though it is touted as a ultralightweight solution.

I'm pretty sure Aquamira purifies water in 30 minutes. Also, you don't have to worry about the notoriously fickle UV devices or the filters that have to be cleaned/unclogged.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

If you use the Aqua Mira drops you mix the 2 parts together, leave for 5 minutes & then add to the water. The water is ready to drink in 30 minutes (you do need longer treatment times if the water is extremely cold or dirty). So I don't really consider that time is that much of an issue with the Aqua Mira liquid version.

Out of the box the whole system weighs 3 ounces, & if you really want to be hard core UL you can decant it into smaller bottles & get down to about 1 ounce for a weeks worth of water treatment.

plus, I've always liked that it can't break, get clogged or have flat batteries !

Journal Entries

I've used Aquamira for a few years now and it's now ALL I use...the benefits? Obviously it is super lightweight and it take only about 20-25 minutes to work no matter how much water you're purifying. There's a Part A and a Part B...you mix about 7 drops of each per liter and let that sit for 5 minutes. Then add it to you water shake and wait about 15-20 minutes. That's it! It's also completely tasteless unlike those old school tablets and it's much safer for your body.

I mean if you bring a pump filter you should always carry a backup chemical treatment in case something happens to the filter anyway, so you might as well just ditch the filter altogether

Images

Aqua Mira weights less, nothing really to break/clog like a filter with hoses moving parts or batteries, and it kills all the nastys including virus's no issues like changing taste or long term effects like iodine.

I used it for 12 days on the AT trail in July. Did I mention it weights less. And you are just out Lieing it does not take 4 hours, 20 mins but not 4 hours. So I would not believe anything you stated anyway you allready have your mind made up.

You are just stirring. So drag your heavy filter you bought along but Agua Mira does the same thing. But it is lighter. I did not carry extra water. Fill up, treat water, take a short break and drink. I am kicked back resting and the filter boys are pumping away on the pumps.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    I'm pretty sure Aquamira purifies water in 30 minutes. Also, you don't have to worry about the notoriously fickle UV devices or the filters that have to be cleaned/unclogged.
    Have used a PUR Hiker on all my long hikes. Never had a problem with clogging, cleaning filter, or anything else. Except for one filter screen change in 1000's of miles of walking, not an issue with me to have to carry it.

It's really pretty simple:

http://www.sectorspdr.com/news/?do=n...ewsID=10148027

Funny, but the UV (Steripen type) solutions disclaimer touts carrying a backup method like Aqua Mira in case of the dreaded red light error or other electronic malfunction that's most likely to occur. Here's what their User Guide says:

"As with any water treatment system, you should always have a backup method available, including an extra set of recommended batteries."

You don't need batteries with Aqua Mira.....

Full disclosure statement: I own a Steripen and absolutely hate it. This is the biggest waste of money on a totally unreliable technology IMHO.
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-27-2012 at 23:10.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rotorbrent View Post
    I used it for 12 days on the AT trail in July. Did I mention it weights less. And you are just out Lieing it does not take 4 hours, 20 mins but not 4 hours. So I would not believe anything you stated anyway you allready have your mind made up.
    'Lieing', you are accusing me of, I call to the mods on this!!! I got the 4 hours from : http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gea...ics/45387.html while researching based on some info on this forum.

It seems controversial at the least. Sort of 30 minutes if you want to take your chances though there is evidence of needing 4 hours.

But you post I find very insulting and inflammatory and I would like you to provide a cite that water would be safe to drink in the 20 minutes you claim or else may everything you say be considered a lie and be ignored.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    It's really pretty simple:

http://www.sectorspdr.com/news/?do=n...ewsID=10148027

Funny, but the UV (Steripen type) solutions disclaimer touts carrying a backup method like Aqua Mira in case of the dreaded red light error or other electronic malfunction that's most likely to occur. Ironic, huh?

Full disclosure statement: I own a Steripen and absolutely hate it. This is the biggest waste of money on a totally unreliable technology IMHO.
    I think it makes total sense with such a device to carry a backup, it is a responsible thing to say. Electronics can fail, we all know that and I think it is sensible for the makers of Steripen to state that considering the nature of the device. That does not change the equation, carrying enough backup to get you to a place where you can resupply your water purification device does not negate the device.

Im trying to conivnce myself to just bring aquamira but i love my ice clean filtered water so much. no slime or debris but obviously heavier. might match with sawyer squeeze
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    ... Also, you don't have to worry about the ... filters that have to be cleaned/unclogged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    If you use the Aqua Mira drops you mix the 2 parts together, leave for 5 minutes & then add to the water. The water is ready to drink in 30 minutes (you do need longer treatment times if the water is extremely cold or dirty).
    I seems to me that taking a few minutes to back flush a filter ever few days is actually less trouble than the daily process for using AM as described by Kaptain. And I can't say that I have seen any evidence of the often cited clogging problem of filters that are back flushed every few days.

Journal Entries

Aqua Mira weights less, nothing really to break/clog like a filter with hoses moving parts or batteries, and it kills all the nastys including virus's no issues like changing taste or long term effects like iodine.

You are just stirring. So drag your heavy filter you bought along but Agua Mira does the same thing. But it is lighter. I did not carry extra water. Fill up, treat water, take a short break and drink. I am kicked back resting and the filter boys are pumping away on the pumps.
    This post Reported

I believe the 4 hours is required to fully kill heavy concentrations of cryptosporidium. Unless you are dealing with known "bad" water 30 minutes is fine. FEMA recommends 30 minutes when using bleach. People like the tablets because filters are a pain. Not only do they take forever, but they WILL clog even if you are careful. They are heavy. The UV pens seem great, but if you check with people, you find a lot of failures in the field.

I know don't about the AT outside NC and VA, but most of the springs in NC are beautiful. When they water is flowing strongly out of a pipe properly placed in the ground, you don't need to treat it at all. (if you get water out of the pool underneath the pipe...you need to treat...)

4 hours i believe is the TABLET form of Aquamira.. almost always people are talking about the DROPS. repackaged it is pretty damn light. you can even get a tiny black bottle to premix your drops that will last all day, enough for a few treatments.

I stick with my Sawyer squeeze because i prefer to not have to wait and accept a few ounces more for that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post

I know don't about the AT outside NC and VA, but most of the springs in NC are beautiful. When they water is flowing strongly out of a pipe properly placed in the ground, you don't need to treat it at all. (if you get water out of the pool underneath the pipe...you need to treat...)
    This is what I was wondering, if the really UL hikers simply forgoes the purification unless it is obviously needed in which case AM seems like the obvious choice. Or perhaps uses the AM as simply a 'formality' in water sources I would not even consider purifying.

I think the biggest benefit of Aquamira is on PCT where you have to carry enough water anyways.
    4 hrs should not be the issue, just either rotate your bottles or purify your water over night.
    The tablets are light weight enough to be a good backup.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    Im trying to conivnce myself to just bring aquamira but i love my ice clean filtered water so much. no slime or debris but obviously heavier. might match with sawyer squeeze
    I would say if you love that water as you obtain it that much go with what feels right for you.

Journal Entries

Water treatment is complicated, because nothing is perfect. There is no perfect way to filter everything, or kill everything. Reduction is what we accomplish, of certain things.

But fortunately, we dont need perfect. Much of the time we dont need anything at all. Most cases of people getting sick are probably not from water at all, even though thats what it is attributed to.

The long 4 hr time is for Crypto, which is rare, in EPA type II water, cold , cloudy, and highly loaded.
    This is what tablets were EPA certified for, so that is what the directions HAVE to say.
    Drops have not been certified due to difficulty in getting exact ClO2 ppm by the mixing method, some escapes.

The advantage to drops is you dont have to add any more than you want to, seeing as how most water we drink hiking is pretty pure anyway.
    A set with 2-10ml dropper bottles, and a 3ml dropper bottle , with enough AM for a week (at full dosage) weighs 1.25 oz.
    By adding less, it can last a lot longer. I usually add maybe half-2/3, and wait 15 min.
    I mix my AM in the morning in a 3ml dropper, and it holds enough for at least one days water 4-5L at the dosage I add it to good water.
    When fill up, just drop 10 drops in (instead of 20), and shake, and on your way. If Im not taking a break, Ill be 10 min down the trail before many have their filter out of their pack.

filters are notorious for clogging, and then not backfllushing . they all work great in clean water. When you HAVE to filter dingy water, they will clog up.
    A few wks ago some other hikers were filtering water at Tricorner Knob in GSMNP. As soon as started filtering the water with very slight orange tint, the filter clogged. This was iron oxide in the water from the dirt/rocks the water was running thru. It would not backflush either. Another hiker left them some AM so the they could have water next 15 miles out of the park.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Water treatment is complicated, because nothing is perfect. There is no perfect way to filter everything, or kill everything. Reduction is what we accomplish, of certain things.

But fortunately, we dont need perfect. Much of the time we dont need anything at all. Most cases of people getting sick are probably not from water at all, even though thats what it is attributed to.

The long 4 hr time is for Crypto, which is rare, in EPA type II water, cold , cloudy, and highly loaded.
    This is what tablets were EPA certified for, so that is what the directions HAVE to say.
    Drops have not been certified due to difficulty in getting exact ClO2 ppm by the mixing method, some escapes.

The advantage to drops is you dont have to add any more than you want to, seeing as how most water we drink hiking is pretty pure anyway.
    A set with 2-10ml dropper bottles, and a 3ml dropper bottle , with enough AM for a week (at full dosage) weighs 1.25 oz.
    By adding less, it can last a lot longer. I usually add maybe half-2/3, and wait 15 min.
    I mix my AM in the morning in a 3ml dropper, and it holds enough for at least one days water 4-5L at the dosage I add it to good water.
    When fill up, just drop 10 drops in (instead of 20), and shake, and on your way. If Im not taking a break, Ill be 10 min down the trail before many have their filter out of their pack.

filters are notorious for clogging, and then not backfllushing . they all work great in clean water. When you HAVE to filter dingy water, they will clog up.
    A few wks ago some other hikers were filtering water at Tricorner Knob in GSMNP. As soon as started filtering the water with very slight orange tint, the filter clogged. This was iron oxide in the water from the dirt/rocks the water was running thru. It would not backflush either. Another hiker left them some AM so the they could have water next 15 miles out of the park.
    It was very good and heartening that some hikers left a workable way to have clean water for others I really like this and try to do the same. There is not a one size fits all solution to anything as far as I am concerned and you simply can't be prepared for everything but be prepared as you see it and be willing to share with others who thought the same but choose a different method.

I really do appreciate you post especially the part where you decide how much purifications is needed, I really think we could all use more of that level of common sense.

And you are just out Lieing it does not take 4 hours, 20 mins but not 4 hours. So I would not believe anything you stated anyway you allready have your mind made up.
    Starchild is not lying; the tablets do take 4 hours, which is exactly what he stated. Maybe he just didn't know about the liquid.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++